Confirmed Signing Tim Iroegbunam

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we buy him for 10 mil and he doesn't do well here we won't get more than 10 mil for him when we sell him this is very obvious but keeps being ignored by people who have made up a scenario in their head where players values increase exponentially until they're 25.

But we wont be paying £10m, we'll have a low down payment and add ons based on appearances and whatnot that will lead to paying £10m.

If we end up paying £10m for him, then he's made appearances and done well. If he doesnt trigger those clauses then we've still only outlaid a relatively small sum.

So even if in 2-3 years it hasnt worked, or has been average, we would still probably get a few million, of he may not have hit any or some clauses.

But we wont be paying £10m, we'll have a low down payment and add ons based on appearances and whatnot that will lead to paying £10m.

If we end up paying £10m for him, then he's made appearances and done well. If he doesnt trigger those clauses then we've still only outlaid a relatively small sum.

So even if in 2-3 years it hasnt worked, or has been average, we would still probably get a few million, of he may not have hit any or some clauses.
I'm not really talking about him as a signing so much its just this thing people keep saying as if you automatically guarantee your money back when making a signing like this you don't at all its the same as any signing if it doesn't go well you're not getting your money back. Its less money (we don't know about the make up of the deal thats pure speculation) which makes it less of a risk in that way but its just not true that a player like this will definitely keep their value just look at Tom Davies for an obvious example.

I'm not really talking about him as a signing so much its just this thing people keep saying as if you automatically guarantee your money back when making a signing like this you don't at all its the same as any signing if it doesn't go well you're not getting your money back. Its less money (we don't know about the make up of the deal thats pure speculation) which makes it less of a risk in that way but its just not true that a player like this will definitely keep their value just look at Tom Davies for an obvious example.
Oh yeah I understand your point, there is no guarantee. I think people comment with the understanding or assuming he hasn’t had a stinker.

There were periods that we could have sold Davies and instead ran his contract out. That’s not so much for his decline but the clubs decision making. But yeah, I think Yakubu is a good example.

11m for him, sold him for something like 2.5 despite him proving he was worth it, but over 3/4 years, injuries had an impact (anyone can get an injury).

I think people are desperate for us to be more proactive in younger players, if one gets 30/40 appearances within 2 years, they won’t have decreased in value.

But yeah. There’s no guarantee but think it’s like that with any signing. Everyone just assumes they’re gonna be a hit or a good signing. Not just Everton fans, just genuine football fans in general!

Villa have apparently now agreed a deal with Chelsea for Maatsen for 35m+ so could do with some money. I think this deal is a matter of when not if.
They’re selling Duran I think, he was in talks with Chelsea and that was from the athletic.

Oh yeah I understand your point, there is no guarantee. I think people comment with the understanding or assuming he hasn’t had a stinker.

There were periods that we could have sold Davies and instead ran his contract out. That’s not so much for his decline but the clubs decision making. But yeah, I think Yakubu is a good example.

11m for him, sold him for something like 2.5 despite him proving he was worth it, but over 3/4 years, injuries had an impact (anyone can get an injury).

I think people are desperate for us to be more proactive in younger players, if one gets 30/40 appearances within 2 years, they won’t have decreased in value.

But yeah. There’s no guarantee but think it’s like that with any signing. Everyone just assumes they’re gonna be a hit or a good signing. Not just Everton fans, just genuine football fans in general!
I think the key thing to remember is that you’re paying for potential and if a player plays a decent number of games or gets a bit older without reaching that potential then the amount someone will pay goes down I doubt we’d get what we paid for Patterson now because he’s almost damaged goods and needs to rebuild his reputation you don’t have to totally fail but if you don’t succeed that premium for your potential doesn’t get added anymore. Like I said though it’s not that we shouldn’t sign players like that only that it isn’t the risk free guarantee of success some people say it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back