Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today’s Football 2019/20 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just find this wild. Taking the logic into midfield, do I have to compare De Bruyne and Busquets? Or can I say they play different positions?

They are both midfielders.

1 is a number 6, whos job is to break up play and give it simple to his team mates, his role is defined as a Defensive Midfielder.

He will be judged on tackles, interceptions, passing and his ability to close down.

The other is a playmaker, whos job is to take the ball from the 6, drive the ball forward, pick a pass and make the whole team tick, sometimes KDB even plays as a 6, sitting deep and playmaking from a deeper role, but hes normally found in the 8 or 10 positions of the pitch, his role is defined as an Attacking Midfielder.

He will be judged on passes, goals, assists and ball retention.

But fundamentally they are both midfielders.

Yet he scored 17 goals in 28 games last season and 11 goals in 20 games this season.

You`re mad.
6 of those are penalties. So that's 22 the last two years taking those out.

Chris Wood has 21. He's been above average at best.

World class Kane hasn't shown up since 2018.

And Messi and Haland are both forwards, but Haland is a striker while Messi is a #10/winger/inside forward or whatever. But like Busquets and De Bruyne they have different jobs and take up different spots on the field and shouldn't be grouped together. But you guys do you.
Each to their own, but you're talking like we're the exception whereas in reality most people use this logic or at least when I've played or watched football.

Like @Westend Blue says, for the majority of fans around the world a player is defined (labelled) by the area of the pitch in which they usually play.

Haaland and Messi both play in the same area of the pitch and have the same primary requirement to score goals: it's just how they go about it that's different.

They are both midfielders.

1 is a number 6, whos job is to break up play and give it simple to his team mates, his role is defined as a Defensive Midfielder.

He will be judged on tackles, interceptions, passing and his ability to close down.

The other is a playmaker, whos job is to take the ball from the 6, drive the ball forward, pick a pass and make the whole team tick, sometimes KDB even plays as a 6, sitting deep and playmaking from a deeper role, but hes normally found in the 8 or 10 positions of the pitch, his role is defined as an Attacking Midfielder.

He will be judged on passes, goals, assists and ball retention.

But fundamentally they are both midfielders.
So I think at this point the difference is you all use striker and forward interchangeably. I see them as different things. A striker is a specific type of forward like an attacking midfielder is a specific type of midfielder. That's how I see it at least.

I'd say depending on the game the spearhead is Mbappe, Icardi or Cavani. And for Barca it is Suarez when healthy.
I guess if you are talking about the central point however messi and Neymar are usually the goto guys and will look to score or assist via them so they are the focal point in that regard obviously roles dependant but regardless of inside forward ect they still look to influence from the final third

Each to their own, but you're talking like we're the exception whereas in reality most people use this logic or at least when I've played or watched football.

Like @Westend Blue says, for the majority of fans around the world a player is defined (labelled) by the area of the pitch in which they usually play.
Right but like Messi doesn't play in the area of the pitch I see a as occupying. Which is why I think lumping him in with Aguero is weird.

6 of those are penalties. So that's 22 the last two years taking those out.

Chris Wood has 21. He's been above average at best.

World class Kane hasn't shown up since 2018.

He`s also scored 32 goals in 45 games for Ingerland.

Admittedly a fair few of them are against the likes of FC Albania Heroin Farmers, but nether the less that`s still a lot of goals.

He`s also scored 32 goals in 45 games for Ingerland.

Admittedly a fair few of them are against the likes of FC Albania Heroin Farmers, but non the less that`s still a lot of goals.
And a vast majority were pre-2018/19.

I'm not saying Kane was never top class, just that he isn't so much anymore.

So I think at this point the difference is you all use striker and forward interchangeably. I see them as different things. A striker is a specific type of forward like an attacking midfielder is a specific type of midfielder. That's how I see it at least.

Football is forever changing.

I mean in Messis earlier days I called him a winger and he did play wider a bit early on his career.

I mean take a 4-3-3, lets take Liverpool as an example.

Do you consider Mane, Firminho and Salah Strikers?

Its hard to label them as such, they are certainly forwards, but does Firminho play as a 9 or a 10? I think its difficult to pinpoint Firminho, the other 2 are wide forwards, but in this scenario do you say Liverpool do not play with a Striker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back