Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today’s Football 2019/20 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has the potential for subjective decision making. I completely agree with that.

It also has the potential to assist those decision makers to make the correct calls and help ensure there are less serious errors. Do you agree with that?
It has the potential to do good things and bad things...the same as any legislation, rule, new technology.

In other words: it can determine outcomes....either way.

Honest to God, I dread the weekend games of City and Liverpool - I know they have the capacity to ruin football for days afterwards. Even an Everton win can barely take the bad taste out of my mouth.

I detest the football media and football industry. They are DETERMINED to find a way of getting Liverpool crowned champions, by hook or by crook. And it's like a death by a thousand cuts.

It has the potential to do good things and bad things...the same as any legislation, rule, new technology.

In other words: it can determine outcomes....either way.
There is scope to influence outcomes. If a player is sent off through mistaken identity and VAR then corrects the decision then it has undoubtedly potentially influenced the outcome. For it to determine the outcome of a game would be quite difficult in my view given the number of factors beyond it's control.

Do you believe that VAR has been introduced to unfairly influence or determine outcomes of games or do you believe that just the risk of it being used to do so is sufficient to scrap the idea?

There is scope to influence outcomes. If a player is sent off through mistaken identity and VAR then corrects the decision then it has undoubtedly potentially influenced the outcome. For it to determine the outcome of a game would be quite difficult in my view given the number of factors beyond it's control.

Do you believe that VAR has been introduced to unfairly influence or determine outcomes of games or do you believe that just the risk of it being used to do so is sufficient to scrap the idea?
It's a system that is beyond question making game defining decisions that are often incomprehensible and wrong...so any claim for it doing some things right is off-set by these wrong decisions. It's got to be making referees (as today with the clear infringement under the refs nose on Otemendi) reluctant to give decisions and instead wait for Big Brother in the booth to make the decision for them. So you can see just in that how much of a hindrance it all is the smooth officiating of a game.

Can the whole system be used to hand Liverpool or any other team the title? In a word, yes. It can do that because the humans working VAR are subject to the influence of the media and can (consciously or otherwise) make or not make crucial decisions that determine the destination of points in games that can be crucial when teams are so closely matched.

It's a bloodless technophile argument that sees this VAR issue any other way.

Last edited:

Watching motd and it just looks like Southampton threw that game. Honestly the defending is completely pathetic and Che Adams didn’t even look bothered when he missed when clean through. Ings then missed the sitter at the end on purpose. Threw the game.

Something weird between those 2 clubs, and on the South coast in general.
Most of the RS side was purchased from Saints, and Koeman arrived here with the intention of playing golf, whilst spending a kings ransome on mostly guff and almost ruined us. Never though Big Sam would ever soil this clubs managerial list.

Southampton gift them quality and Bournemouth fund it by buying the rejects for a fortune.

Wife left him after Phil's 'closeness' with 25 year old Australian model Holly Young, allegedly. She's only interested in his mind, and ditto for Phil.

1072696967.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back