Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today’s Football 2020/21 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the fact that you are the only 1 supporting Iwobi, based on stats, tells us everything we need to know about stats and how useful they are alone to gauge players.

Thankfully we will never go full stats.

But sure bro, you keep using them, me I'm gonna watch the footy and use the knowledge base in my head.
People's confidence that they understand the game based on watching it for awhile is admirable I guess. And @Nymzee will come around talking about playing it like Sunday league has any resemblance to what happens in a PL game. I just think the numbers are a good way to look at it and see things you might otherwise miss. Instead people act like they didn't miss it and that the numbers are incorrect. I guess I just don't think that way.

People's confidence that they understand the game based on watching it for awhile is admirable I guess. And @Nymzee will come around talking about playing it like Sunday league has any resemblance to what happens in a PL game. I just think the numbers are a good way to look at it and see things you might otherwise miss. Instead people act like they didn't miss it and that the numbers are incorrect. I guess I just don't think that way.
I think people realise how flawed stats are.

Somebody kicks a ball, in bounces of the arse of a teammate and suddenly he has a progressive pass.

Thats an extreme case, but it defo happens.

1 persons progressive pass is another persons arsehole.

I guess this might explain.

The scouting depts of a club might well be alerted about a player via their stats bank.

But then a live scout will actually watch the player, and decide that the stats are mince, or not.

I think people realise how flawed stats are.

Somebody kicks a ball, in bounces of the arse of a teammate and suddenly he has a progressive pass.

Thats an extreme case, but it defo happens.

1 persons progressive pass is another persons arsehole.
Sure but is someone going to really be doing that so many times that their entire season can be explained away? I mean there is a danger is small samples like there is with everything. That doesn't make the whole thing invalid.

I guess this might explain.

The scouting depts of a club might well be alerted about a player via their stats bank.

But then a live scout will actually watch the player, and decide that the stats are mince, or not.
Yes, my experiences on this forum tend to not be 50/50 like that.

Trust me mate the more actual footy you play the better you understand what you're watching.

Sure but is someone going to really be doing that so many times that their entire season can be explained away? I mean there is a danger is small samples like there is with everything. That doesn't make the whole thing invalid.
My eyes tell me that Iwobi manages 1 decent pass or dribble per game, but the stats tell you hes Messi being played out of position.

It really does make them invalid.

My eyes tell me that Iwobi manages 1 decent pass or dribble per game, but the stats tell you hes Messi being played out of position.

It really does make them invalid.
I think you're misunderstanding. Me saying Iwobi might be a better option than Sigurdsson or Gomes does not mean I think he's a good option.

Just because he's a crap pundit doesn't mean what I'm saying isn't true. It's like me with basketball; I love it and I love the stats but I've only played a few times so can't really grasp what's happening the same.
Sure, it doesn't mean that stats don't matter for the sport though and it doesn't mean if you were making a case for Jaxson Hayes that was stats based that I would dismiss it outright even though I think he stinks and don't see it at all.

I think you're misunderstanding. Me saying Iwobi might be a better option than Sigurdsson or Gomes does not mean I think he's a good option.
Im honestly less, whats the word, defending Gomes these days.

I still like him, but hes, well, I'm not gonna start bashing him or nothing, but his downturn in form seems to be lasting longer than is acceptable.

But, The Iceberg is and will always be 10 times the player Iweoful is and no amount of stats will change that view.

Im honestly less, whats the word, defending Gomes these days.

I still like him, but hes, well, I'm not gonna start bashing him or nothing, but his downturn in form seems to be lasting longer than is acceptable.

But, The Iceberg is and will always be 10 times the player Iweoful is and no amount of stats will change that view.
I think a really fun thing would be for Gylfi to not take set plays for a match and see if anyone notices he's out there. I simply can't get over how little he does. A great moment every 5 games doesn't fix that.

Sure, it doesn't mean that stats don't matter for the sport though and it doesn't mean if you were making a case for Jaxson Hayes that was stats based that I would dismiss it outright even though I think he stinks and don't see it at all.

Yeh but that's not what I'm saying? I'm not saying ignore stats; they can be looked at but they don't always need to be the final judgement.

Case in point my love for DCL. I rated him day one and I had to wait a long time for the stats to catch up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back