Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today’s Football 2020/21 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming the ref takes the victim at their word - And he should, then there are a number of potential actions to take:

- Send the accused off
- Call a halt to the game and meet with management, captains, etc (after they’ve discussed with their respective teams) to decide how best to continue

Everyone involved in the game needs to see that there are legitimate consequences for racist behaviour. In the event the game was called off and an agreement to continue couldn’t be reached, there should be an outcome given that is punitive towards the team for which the offender plays - Be that awarding the result the other way, points deduction, etc, I don’t know; I’m just spitballing.

The cynic in you is right to an extent, of course, any such rule change is open to potential abuse but that can’t be a reason not to proceed. Perhaps implement player mics or enhanced recording in all areas of the pitch so that disputes can be resolved reasonably definitively but in the first instance the accuser must ALWAYS be taken at their word.
Take the accuser at their word...surely nothing could go wrong there. Im sure the term "witch hunt" has a completely unrelated meaning that has nothing to do with taking accusers word as the truth.

Racism is bad, but perhaps the presumption of innocence in the absence of proof is not such a stupid idea and should not be lightly thrown away.

That is essentially the same as saying that Salah screams out in pain and goes to ground...hmm I didnt see a foul but I should probably take salah at his word. I mean, he wouldn't lie to gain an advantage would he?

Take the accuser at their word...surely nothing could go wrong there. Im sure the term "witch hunt" has a completely unrelated meaning that has nothing to do with taking accusers word as the truth.

Racism is bad, but perhaps the presumption of innocence in the absence of proof is not such a stupid idea and should not be lightly thrown away.

That is essentially the same as saying that Salah screams out in pain and goes to ground...hmm I didnt see a foul but I should probably take salah at his word. I mean, he wouldn't lie to gain an advantage would he?
Maybe we should have this happen a single time before we worry about it

Yep spot on. Innocent until proven guilty is a very important concept.

Yep spot on. Innocent until proven guilty is a very important concept.

It is very weird to me that you're so obsessed with potential miscarriages of justice to refuse strict action being taken, meanwhile footballers are subject to racial abuse on the regular. Its not rare. Its not hard to imagine it really happening.

Just watched MOTD2.
Two blantant penalties not given.
1. Wood of Burnley having his shirt pulled in the box; and
2. Maguire bundling over Welbeck.

The first might have been a case of the ref not seeing it, but VAR should certainly have seen it.
The second, well how often are pens given against ManUre at OT? And again, VAR should definitely have seen it.

Officialdom is still a disgrace in the Premiership, both on and off the pitch...

It is very weird to me that you're so obsessed with potential miscarriages of justice to refuse strict action being taken, meanwhile footballers are subject to racial abuse on the regular. Its not rare. Its not hard to imagine it really happening.

'course it is, doesn't mean every allegation should result in instant belief.

I've asked a few times now - what should have happened to Juan Cala. Sent off? Banned from football? Based on the say-so of one other player?

Let me put it this way, if that did happen, if I were Juan Cala I'd be preparing one hell of a lawsuit.

I'm always against a 'believe the victim' approach. I'm very much 'believe the evidence'. There's too much desire for instant gratification over due process. I've asked a few times what else could they have done there, I don't think there's been an answer apart from "Valencia should have abandoned the game". If they did that, the burden of proof is on them, and I don't think they could have done that.

Here we go again with the mad hypotheticals.

Action needs to be taken to stamp racism out of the game, and society. If the only downside to a pretty surefire deterrent is the potential for a very small amount - if any - of abuse by way of making false claims (which could be mitigated with my suggestion of extra mics around the pitch/players), I’d say it’s a risk worth taking.

If you insist on a 100% effective solution to eradicate racism with no room for abuse of the rules whatsoever, we’d get nowhere. Funny, I think that’s actually a lot of people’s preference.

'course it is, doesn't mean every allegation should result in instant belief.

I've asked a few times now - what should have happened to Juan Cala. Sent off? Banned from football? Based on the say-so of one other player?

Let me put it this way, if that did happen, if I were Juan Cala I'd be preparing one hell of a lawsuit.

I'm always against a 'believe the victim' approach. I'm very much 'believe the evidence'. There's too much desire for instant gratification over due process. I've asked a few times what else could they have done there, I don't think there's been an answer apart from "Valencia should have abandoned the game". If they did that, the burden of proof is on them, and I don't think they could have done that.
Then you, sir, are an enormous part of the problem.

When there is a one player’s word against another, the actions taken will benefit one party. No action = Believing the accused; action such as I’ve suggested = believing the accuser.

Racist players won’t typically give the ref enough “proof” because they’ll say their vile things on the quiet, knowing as they do that racism is bad.

Can't blame FA for protecting its product. When everton win i try and watch every minute of footy and spend quiet time in work reading footy articles. Since we lost to Burnley I haven't watched a match just the odd YouTube clip and apart from GOT I havent looked at any footy news.

Manu losing can cost alot of people alot of money. Think of the millions of plastic manu fans with all their subscriptions and advert clicks who become indifferent when their team lose.

Then you, sir, are an enormous part of the problem.

When there is a one player’s word against another, the actions taken will benefit one party. No action = Believing the accused; action such as I’ve suggested = believing the accuser.

Racist players won’t typically give the ref enough “proof” because they’ll say their vile things on the quiet, knowing as they do that racism is bad.

I'd rather 99 people get away with something than 1 person be punished for something they didn't do.

It's why I'm against things like the death penalty. I find your stance many more times more problematic than mine, as it easily results in injustices.

If they can't prove Juan Cala said something racist, so be it.

Watching Watford vs Boro - the gulf between the Premier League and Championship is as big as its ever been. If Watford come up, barring massive recruitment they go straight back down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back