Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today’s Football 2020/21 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get that some people arent born, they choose, hell there's loads of FOREN Everton fans on here who live and breathe the club as much as people who were
born. I think what I'm trying to say is that your mates a bellend.

I would honestly hate to follow the Murican model, sure it means everybody has a chance every year, but that just punishes people who get ahead, in the 80s Everton got ahead, then in the 2000s United did, now City, before that Forest had their chance and some other no mark team from Merseyside also.

Liverpool won the Title in January last year, this year City have done the same, that's football and I wouldn't change it for anything and I say that as a fan of a club that hasn't done a bean for the majority of my life. I don't want a level playing field, I don't want a foot up, I want us to achieve things by achieving them and not have them handed to us, if that means we do nothing again, so be it.
It doesn't punish people who get ahead as much as you think, literally every single one of our sports has had massive dynasties that win bunches of titles, but it doesn't do what it has for United which allows them to have outsize influence on what the rules are and to never fall off even when they make poor decisions for years.

It's just nice to have some kind of room for error in these things, as it is Everton probably need 475 things to break right in a row and it just stinks to have such a perilous road.

Like no actual proper footy fan would get bored of their team winning every single week. The way they win, maybe, but not the actual winning. However those sort of “fans” that might get bored of winning also don’t really care as much when the team loses so they’re in a cushy boat.
It's more that it just isn't very exciting than they don't care. Look at our first two FA Cup games for example. We all cared that we won. But the only two ways for it to really go are we play well and it is kind of whatever because we're supposed to be way better which is the Wednesday game or it can be a disappointing showing like Rotherham which though dramatic isn't exactly exciting to win. That's City 90% of the time.

It's more that it just isn't very exciting than they don't care. Look at our first two FA Cup games for example. We all cared that we won. But the only two ways for it to really go are we play well and it is kind of whatever because we're supposed to be way better which is the Wednesday game or it can be a disappointing showing like Rotherham which though dramatic isn't exactly exciting to win. That's City 90% of the time.
Feel like this focuses too much on the "should happen" and the prediction side and the entertainment angle of the whole affair.

Sports are entertainment, I get it. But they're also a different form of entertainment where the "best" or "right" or "most exciting" thing doesn't always happen. Which makes it way better when it does happen.

Not exciting to win is a weird concept in competition and one that I find entirely foreign, regardless of how much winning has come before.

Feel like this focuses too much on the "should happen" and the prediction side and the entertainment angle of the whole affair.

Sports are entertainment, I get it. But they're also a different form of entertainment where the "best" or "right" or "most exciting" thing doesn't always happen. Which makes it way better when it does happen.

Not exciting to win is a weird concept in competition and one that I find entirely foreign, regardless of how much winning has come before.
That's the thing though for City it pretty much has always happened aside from in Europe so they just aren't at the same level.

I'm a Ravens fan. We're at a point right now where winning the Super Bowl is the goal. It doesn't mean that I don't care weekly and don't want to win weekly, but beating the Bengals this year or next year isn't going to mean nearly as much as the playoff games or the big games leading to the playoffs are. In the PL City are playing the Bengals all the time.

I'm too into this stuff to have the same feeling but the original point was just to say being a City fan isn't all that it seems it might be because the roller coaster isn't the same as it is with us. And I guess also to say I wish teams didn't have the ability to get too that point.

That's the thing though for City it pretty much has always happened aside from in Europe so they just aren't at the same level.

I'm a Ravens fan. We're at a point right now where winning the Super Bowl is the goal. It doesn't mean that I don't care weekly and don't want to win weekly, but beating the Bengals this year or next year isn't going to mean nearly as much as the playoff games or the big games leading to the playoffs are. In the PL City are playing the Bengals all the time.

I'm too into this stuff to have the same feeling but the original point was just to say being a City fan isn't all that it seems it might be because the roller coaster isn't the same as it is with us. And I guess also to say I wish teams didn't have the ability to get too that point.

The rollercoaster would be exciting if we had any ups but we don’t. A league win at Anfield has been the best moment in the last 12 years. It’s been mostly humiliating downs. I’d rather have continuous ups than what we’ve been served for the last decade.

There is the element of finances here (as in major league baseball), but I think you're over-egging the idea that City fans should be bored of winning. Liverpool took them last year. Once Pep goes? Entirely possibly they go all Chelsea and start swinging year by year again.

Do you think City fans felt that way 2 years ago when they needed every point to chase down Liverpool at the end?

There is the element of finances here (as in major league baseball), but I think you're over-egging the idea that City fans should be bored of winning. Liverpool took them last year. Once Pep goes? Entirely possibly they go all Chelsea and start swinging year by year again.

Do you think City fans felt that way 2 years ago when they needed every point to chase down Liverpool at the end?
All I'm saying is we probably got as much joy out of beating the RS as they will if they win the CL and I don't think that's bad.

It isn't the 80s anymore. Back then teams were even enough that earning victories each week was a task. City do well to not let their level drop but they win an absurd number of matches without being really challenged. I wish it wasn't the case but we haven't had a proper title race where more than two clubs get to this point in contention since what 2009? I honestly think it is a shame that dominance is just accepted.
I found the early years of the premier league the most exciting from a style standpoint...all action is how i recollect it anyway. That dominant Spain team with the tikitaka bored me to death and I dont like how the game has changed with so many imitators. City is different to that...someone said squeez r the life out of the game...i think that is about right.

It isn't the 80s anymore. Back then teams were even enough that earning victories each week was a task. City do well to not let their level drop but they win an absurd number of matches without being really challenged. I wish it wasn't the case but we haven't had a proper title race where more than two clubs get to this point in contention since what 2009? I honestly think it is a shame that dominance is just accepted.

Hold on, you didnt watch football in the 80s though...

All I'm saying is we probably got as much joy out of beating the RS as they will if they win the CL and I don't think that's bad.

Poppycock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back