Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Tom Cleverley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some phone issue on last message...

@orly here's my take...

Cleverley in the centre is a good all rounder...nothing special at anything though a great option off the bench...not good enough to displace Barkley.

On the left hes a good player and he can launch these long passes really accurately to Lukaku / Barkley / Deulofeu..... @LinekersLegs has praised him a few times and im starting to take notice that he isnt just a good player but can be a very good player if he has intelligent players alongside him. I think he would actually be perfect in Spain.

As for yesterday, he made some driving runs and passed well but was closed down alot and it wasnt suited to him offering the industry which benefits us against teams who open up.

Also, his long passes were pointless as hes hitting it at 9ft ogres or at lukaku who was double marked.

As i keep harping on...this season im happy with top half, get the team playing together and then add in the three players we need to take us into top 4 realm. This will mean Cleverley wont be a starter but a very good player off the bench or in case of injuries.

squad game.

I think he's a good squad player but doesn't add much on the pitch

I'd rather see Mirallas or del on the left tbh

Cleverley adds a real balance and it's horses for courses.

For me, Mirallas is always just too predictable on the left in that he constantly looks to cut inside and shoot or dribble his way in-field.

He's better - as a winger - on the right, and when he does start on the left he always almost is only then really effective when he plays mostly as a second striker and Baines/Oviedo pushes up - like he did at Chelsea in order to latch onto Lukaku's flick-ons etc.

Cleverley offers solid workrate and reliability but also a real sharpness and speed to his play - always looking for a forward pass etc. It's typical of players who came through Utd's academy learning from the likes of Carrick and Scholes.

In the centre, for me, he isn't as effective as he tends to prefer to get forward and that exposes gaps around Barry and also negates space for Barkley - who is most effective when he has a link-up player (Cleverley, Lennon, Pienaar or even Osman) to combine with in tight areas. Stoke and Newcastle are perfect examples of that.

For me, if we are to start two wingers, then it has to be Lennon on the right to keep the balance and link up with Barkley, and then Kev on the left to basically drift inside and be the player to get in and around the box with Lukaku, allowing our left back to push on.

Cleverley adds a real balance and it's horses for courses.

For me, Mirallas is always just too predictable on the left in that he constantly looks to cut inside and shoot or dribble his way in-field.

He's better - as a winger - on the right, and when he does start on the left he always almost is only then really effective when he plays mostly as a second striker and Baines/Oviedo pushes up - like he did at Chelsea in order to latch onto Lukaku's flick-ons etc.

Cleverley offers solid workrate and reliability but also a real sharpness and speed to his play - always looking for a forward pass etc. It's typical of players who came through Utd's academy learning from the likes of Carrick and Scholes.

In the centre, for me, he isn't as effective as he tends to prefer to get forward and that exposes gaps around Barry and also negates space for Barkley - who is most effective when he has a link-up player (Cleverley, Lennon, Pienaar or even Osman) to combine with in tight areas. Stoke and Newcastle are perfect examples of that.

For me, if we are to start two wingers, then it has to be Lennon on the right to keep the balance and link up with Barkley, and then Kev on the left to basically drift inside and be the player to get in and around the box with Lukaku, allowing our left back to push on.

Are you just following me around disagreeing with me :bye::D

Are you just following me around disagreeing with me :bye::D

No mate haha

And I wasn't meaning to be argumentative.

Just putting my opinion forward. I think Kev, as much as he is a good player, is overrated by our fans to an extent. For me for all of his good moments they are equalled out by the fact he is so predictable at times when played out on the left.

For me, he is either like an inside forward on the left of Lukaku, or he should be played out right.

I do hope gets a start against Bournemouth though.

I don't recall him going missing in a game, even when things aren't going to plan. He tries, I like that, even if not the most talented player.

Maybe not going missing per-say, but I just meant that IMO he has more of an effect in a wide position with the ability to drift inside.

I think it's as much to do with the system we play in that we're better with a player to break up the play (Besic or McCarthy) next to Barry.

For me Cleverley is at his best when he is able to link up with our attacking players without that negating the space for Barkley, which I think sometimes happens when Clevs plays centrally.

A good all-round option though and for me it's been a good free signing.

He's the new osman, but in a good way. I like ossie. He was a clever little player who did lots of good stuff down the years. But not a world beater. Cleverly is the same. Decent squad player but not top 4 quality as a starter. Positions wise, he can definitely do a job on the left. Delivers a nice cross and can link up with the full back. Villa used him to very good effect as an attackng centre mid at the end of last season. He would be my choice to cover for Barkley if god forbid he gets injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back