Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Tom Cleverley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know if it's been mentioned but he's been called upto the England squad Martinez said

Get togethet this weekend. Think 40 of them.

Could see Jags,Stones,Baines,Barkley and "The Clev" in the summer. I wonder what our record is for players in a squad as 5 is quite a lot.

Cleverley is brilliant technically on the ball. He can hit a pass of any range, strike a volley or a shot perfectly and his ball control is excellent. He also works hard and makes the runs that free people up. He does tend to lack discipline in the holding role a bit, and he doesn't have the physical ability that will impress you like Barkley or Lukaku. He is far from perfect and he won't impress everyone, but he is exactly the type of player you want in your squad because he does have some versatility. I think he is underrated by many because he flopped at United (he was great before he was injured in his first real season), and people have always slated him ever since. I will say he does get a bit pretentious with his deliveries on set pieces at times too, and it looks horrible when it doesn't come off LOL.

It's pretty hilarious how some on here thought it was an awful signing. While I never pretended to know exactly how it would turn out, I believe my attitude was "He's free, and let's see what happens. If he's tosh, he won't play. If he isn't, it's a great signing".

Sticking my neck out here, he's not been tosh.

There is going to be some superb vaulting available in this thread sometime in the future, whichever way it works out for Tom at the club lol

Unlikely, people have had enough time to see the qualitys he brings to the team/squad, if they dont see it now, they wont ever see it and wont ever admit they made a mistake.

I got it wrong with McCarthy many years ago, I hardly watched Wigan and when I did I thought McCarthy was nothing more than a glorified watercarrier, its only when you see a player, week in, week out that you can make a proper judgement and ideally over a long period of time.

It could be said we havent seen enough of The Clev, but IMO we have, we have seen him be utterly AWOL and we are have seen his range of passing and tireless energy, I even like the fact that he isnt afraid to have a little moan at the refs and linos, we have hardly any moaners in the team, its always good to have 1 or 2, granted you gotta be careful you dont get to many like the vermin across the park, Milner, "hendo" and Lucas are whiney little talentless beauts who should really pipe down.

Just saying.

Ha we all get it wrong sometimes, have vague memories of you threatening to beat me over the head repeatedly after a disagreement about Cleverley x

There is pretty incriminating evidence from me on the "should we sign Lennon on loan" thread, remarkably similar in fact to some of the stuff posted about Tom especially the "lack of goals/assists" bit.

Still a bit early to make a final decision on Cleverley imo, Jelavic was a rather painful lesson, but lots of encouraging signs to me. With Barry, Cleverley and McCarthy all gently moaning at the ref hopefully we'll be a bit less of a soft touch.

I would like an apology from those who called him rubbish and declared he would offer us nothing.

You've got to sundown or we trial you by vaults.

Was gutted for Cleverley when he got injured against spurs at the start of the season, he's a great squad player. I think he's done good for us this season, don't understand people who think otherwise. His work rate and work off the ball is top quality. A good player for someone who we got for free. Deserves an England call up.

When Clevs first came into the squad he was pretty excellent at picking out long balls with great accuracy to Lukaku and others. (See, e.g., his assist to the second goal in the first match against Stoke, which is hard to remember given what a dumpster fire that match turned out to be) Those long balls probably won't work too much against West Brom, but I'd like to see him trot that skill out again against more open-playing teams.

What an absolute cretin. Is he for real?

Don't know if it's been mentioned but he's been called upto the England squad Martinez said

Doesn't really get mentioned but I think his delivery from set-pieces all season has been top quality.

Cleverley is brilliant technically on the ball. He can hit a pass of any range, strike a volley or a shot perfectly and his ball control is excellent. He also works hard and makes the runs that free people up. He does tend to lack discipline in the holding role a bit, and he doesn't have the physical ability that will impress you like Barkley or Lukaku. He is far from perfect and he won't impress everyone, but he is exactly the type of player you want in your squad because he does have some versatility. I think he is underrated by many because he flopped at United (he was great before he was injured in his first real season), and people have always slated him ever since. I will say he does get a bit pretentious with his deliveries on set pieces at times too, and it looks horrible when it doesn't come off LOL.

Apologies and a mea culpa anytime you're ready, thanks

In his 6 months here Cleverley has achieved more than McGeady did in two years.

Also, McGeady didn't help United win a league title.

Cleverley is a very good player and I'm glad he's in our side. Gives us the versatility of being able to play anywhere in midfield. Great signing. Glad he's here.

I really do not understand your hatred for him.

You're going on about his form of more than two years ago in a United side that slumped under Moyes.

He struggled under Lambert because Lambert insisted on playing slow turgid football.

Cleverley is thriving now under a manager that rates him highly (as he did under Sherwood at the back end of last year), and who encourages a player to look for a quick pass - something Cleverley is very good at.

He's played well for us and that's how I'm basing my opinion of him on. For some reason you'd rather base it on his form of two seasons ago rather than his form of the last year or so.

I don't think he's our best player, but you're vastly over-rating the currents stature of Everton if you believe that a player who has played in the Champions League, for England and won a title with United isn't good enough for us.

Nope

Decent squad player. We need better for the first eleven though. He's not worth selling as we wouldn't get much for him.

Nope

Is this still going on?

- He's terrible. We need a Neymar type on the left
- He's a decent squad player
- How can you say that when only us, Villa and Marine were on for him
- I just think hes ok for a free transfer and used in certain tactical situations
- But his volleys all get blocked and Utd fans had a gofund me to fund him being hung at high noon
- He's still just decent
- What are you all watching? He's the filthy child of Preki and Claus Thompsen

And repeat....

Sarcasm notwithstanding... nope

Unlikely, people have had enough time to see the qualitys he brings to the team/squad, if they dont see it now, they wont ever see it and wont ever admit they made a mistake.

I got it wrong with McCarthy many years ago, I hardly watched Wigan and when I did I thought McCarthy was nothing more than a glorified watercarrier, its only when you see a player, week in, week out that you can make a proper judgement and ideally over a long period of time.

It could be said we havent seen enough of The Clev, but IMO we have, we have seen him be utterly AWOL and we are have seen his range of passing and tireless energy, I even like the fact that he isnt afraid to have a little moan at the refs and linos, we have hardly any moaners in the team, its always good to have 1 or 2, granted you gotta be careful you dont get to many like the vermin across the park, Milner, "hendo" and Lucas are whiney little talentless beauts who should really pipe down.

Just saying.

Nope

Ha we all get it wrong sometimes, have vague memories of you threatening to beat me over the head repeatedly after a disagreement about Cleverley x

There is pretty incriminating evidence from me on the "should we sign Lennon on loan" thread, remarkably similar in fact to some of the stuff posted about Tom especially the "lack of goals/assists" bit.

Still a bit early to make a final decision on Cleverley imo, Jelavic was a rather painful lesson, but lots of encouraging signs to me. With Barry, Cleverley and McCarthy all gently moaning at the ref hopefully we'll be a bit less of a soft touch.

Nope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back