Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Tom Cleverley

Status
Not open for further replies.
That'd be absolutely horrific. We'd be the narrowest team ever to play football.
Juventus done alright with that system last season like.

Only as an alternative ofc.

Besides when Del ain't playing we've got no width whatsoever anyway.

With pogba and pirlo?
Great logic.

So you're saying we shouldn't play 4-3-3 because we don't have Neymar, Suarez and Messi like Barca?

Or we can't play 4-2-3-1 because we don't have Ronaldo Bale and James Rodriguez like Madrid?

Or we can't play 3 at the back because we don't have Boateng, Alaba, Lahm et al. like Bayern?

Great logic.

So you're saying we shouldn't play 4-3-3 because we don't have Neymar, Suarez and Messi like Barca?

Or we can't play 4-2-3-1 because we don't have Ronaldo Bale and James Rodriguez like Madrid?

Or we can't play 3 at the back because we don't have Boateng, Alaba, Lahm et al. like Bayern?
I see your hyperbole with your 'well we can't be Barcelona because of' blah blah and simply say 'Leicester' as a counter and say "Why yes, we COULD play like Leicester'. People said 'we'd be the narrowest team in the league' and you mentioned a team that did it with two players far beyond what Tom cleverly is. It's called "like for like", not mention a far superior team that nearly won the champions league and say 'see? We can do it with Tom cleverly!' 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 are known formations. Having literally no width strains even the most imaginative iteration of what we could achieve, no?

I see your hyperbole with your 'well we can't be Barcelona because of' blah blah and simply say 'Leicester' as a counter and say "Why yes, we COULD play like Leicester'. People said 'we'd be the narrowest team in the league' and you mentioned a team that did it with two players far beyond what Tom cleverly is. It's called "like for like", not mention a far superior team that nearly won the champions league and say 'see? We can do it with Tom cleverly!' 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 are known formations. Having literally no width strains even the most imaginative iteration of what we could achieve, no?
You're confusing tactics and formation.

Could we play with the same tactics as Juve? Didn't watch them loads other than the CL games, but I'm guessing without the individual brilliance of your Pogba's and Pirlo's, then the answer would probably be no.

Likewise, could we play with the pressing and counter attacking style of Leicester? Nope, we don't have players with the energy of Vardy, Drinkwater, Kante, Albrighton et al. to pressure the opposition for 90 minutes.

Could we play a 4-4-2 like thm? Impossible to know until we've tried it, but we've got 3 strikers, plenty of wide players and centre mids who can run a game.

The Leicester example is a strange one though, with 4-4-2 being basically defunct unless you have a very specific type of player

When Clevs first came into the squad he was pretty excellent at picking out long balls with great accuracy to Lukaku and others. (See, e.g., his assist to the second goal in the first match against Stoke, which is hard to remember given what a dumpster fire that match turned out to be) Those long balls probably won't work too much against West Brom, but I'd like to see him trot that skill out again against more open-playing teams.

Bang average lickspittle with a monstrously over-sized ego and the gold standard in English averageness?

Might as well pair him with that horror Hendo-biff in the England midfield for the full Hodgson experience

What an absolute cretin. Is he for real?

Barkley's better than Pogba like, going by stats

When Clevs first came into the squad he was pretty excellent at picking out long balls with great accuracy to Lukaku and others. (See, e.g., his assist to the second goal in the first match against Stoke, which is hard to remember given what a dumpster fire that match turned out to be) Those long balls probably won't work too much against West Brom, but I'd like to see him trot that skill out again against more open-playing teams.

That ball to Lukaku was an absolute gem wasn't it, great control and finish as well by Rom

It may work more than normal this game as they have a bit of a injury crisis at cb. Will probably play Pocignoli (sp?) and Olssen who I'd say we could play in behind against and up in the air really if we get Lukaku pinned on Pocignoli. If we don't beat them handily something is wrong.

It may work more than normal this game as they have a bit of a injury crisis at cb. Will probably play Pocignoli (sp?) and Olssen who I'd say we could play in behind against and up in the air really if we get Lukaku pinned on Pocignoli. If we don't beat them handily something is wrong.

Fair point. That would be excellent if we get a few cheap goals from Lukaku just embarrassing West Brom's CBs. I'm just worried that Pulis might park the bus to the nth degree and we won't be able to do an aerial assault and will have to do more to unlock them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back