Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Tom Cleverley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously, when has osman ever been any good for us?

And when was nevile any good for anyone - ever?

Howard was decent for a bit.
Osman : left foot strike vs city 2 years ago. Neville: crunching tackle on Ronaldo.
Really you make this far too easy. Point is there are loads of instances, but some choose to ignore them.

I've said it plenty on here before and was saying to mates after todays game....
Tom Cleverley is limited. He is a half decent squad player, but personally, I expect a lot more from even squad players let alone a player that seemingly our manager and many fans are wanting as a starter.
His performances against Stoke and Newcastle recently were very good but I see that as his peak (against poor opposition too), not a sign of him on an upward improvement which is going to continue, which it seems like many people think is where he is inevitably heading.

I've likened it to the start of the Villa situation before.... they lost Barry and whoever came in to replace him wasn't as good but could "do a job".
They lost Downing, Mellberg, Young, Milner and their replacements weren't as good but could "do a job". Now look at them.
Whether Mirallas is unmotivated or out of form, and Pienaar is past it, they were both much better players than Cleverley on the left and just because he can "do a job", that should not be accepted as good enough.

As soon as you accept someone "doing a job" as ok, for me, that is the start of the downward spiral.

I've said it plenty on here before and was saying to mates after todays game....
Tom Cleverley is limited. He is a half decent squad player, but personally, I expect a lot more from even squad players let alone a player that seemingly our manager and many fans are wanting as a starter.
His performances against Stoke and Newcastle recently were very good but I see that as his peak (against poor opposition too), not a sign of him on an upward improvement which is going to continue, which it seems like many people think is where he is inevitably heading.

I've likened it to the start of the Villa situation before.... they lost Barry and whoever came in to replace him wasn't as good but could "do a job".
They lost Downing, Mellberg, Young, Milner and their replacements weren't as good but could "do a job". Now look at them.
Whether Mirallas is unmotivated or out of form, and Pienaar is past it, they were both much better players than Cleverley on the left and just because he can "do a job", that should not be accepted as good enough.

As soon as you accept someone "doing a job" as ok, for me, that is the start of the downward spiral.

You do know you need players to 'do a job' so those around them can perform? Filling the team with Mirallas and Ged never works as results have proved.

You do know you need players to 'do a job' so those around them can perform? Filling the team with Mirallas and Ged never works as results have proved.

Do you disagree that he is not as good as Pienaar, who when fit has been pretty much our best left midfield option for the last 5 or 6 years? If he is not as good, then why accept him doing a job as good enough? Even Pienaar's poor games were much better than what we get from Cleverley now. I think people forget that all too easily.

Do you disagree that he is not as good as Pienaar, who when fit has been pretty much our best left midfield option for the last 5 or 6 years? If he is not as good, then why accept him doing a job as good enough? Even Pienaar's poor games were much better than what we get from Cleverley now. I think people forget that all too easily.

As much as we don't like it Pienaar is history....and he was the minute he lft for Spurs, in fact coming back wasn't a great move. At his peak he was awesome, but he isn't anymore. Cleverley despite the knocks he gets is a tidy player.

As much as we don't like it Pienaar is history....and he was the minute he lft for Spurs, in fact coming back wasn't a great move. At his peak he was awesome, but he isn't anymore. Cleverley despite the knocks he gets is a tidy player.
No, I understand that about Pienaar. I just don't think we should be accepting "tidy" as an apt replacement.

No, I understand that about Pienaar. I just don't think we should be accepting "tidy" as an apt replacement.

To be honest mate hes a decent player, hes not a Left Winger and its laughable that hes played there, considering we had 3 other players on the bench today that could have done that job much better.

The Clev shouldnt be our LW going forward, either Martinez will wake up and play Geri, Mirallas or Niase there or buy somebody like Jargenmenko in the summer or even the Swiss lad we signed.

Its unfair on The Clev, he doesnt pick himself LW.

To be honest mate hes a decent player, hes not a Left Winger and its laughable that hes played there, considering we had 3 other players on the bench today that could have done that job much better.

The Clev shouldnt be our LW going forward, either Martinez will wake up and play Geri, Mirallas or Niase there or buy somebody like Jargenmenko in the summer or even the Swiss lad we signed.

Its unfair on The Clev, he doesnt pick himself LW.

Yet his best games there for us this season (City at home in the cup (first half), Newcastle home, Stoke away, Southampton away) have been when he's played wide left.

Genuinely do think he suits us better there than he does in central midfield, because, as I've stated before, we seem to lose our shape more when he's in there.

That's not so much Cleverley's fault, but it's just that naturally he likes to get forward and that leaves Barry exposed, while negating some of the space for Barkley when teams are already sitting deep.

He's a good player with bags of experience and I'm happy we've got him. Gives us options to play anywhere in midfield as well, though he was quiet yesterday.

Osman : left foot strike vs city 2 years ago. Neville: crunching tackle on Ronaldo.
Really you make this far too easy. Point is there are loads of instances, but some choose to ignore them.

Right. Two (Of countless) standout examples of utter gashness.

nevile = Wigan.

Osman = FAC final.

Really, you've made this far too easy...etc.

He's never going to pull up trees, Mr Average. i remember a few seasons ago, watching him for Utd and England thinking what does this guy bring to the table...My stance has not changed, but he is a decent squad filler just should not be a starter for me.

Right. Two (Of countless) standout examples of utter gashness.

nevile = Wigan.

Osman = FAC final.

Really, you've made this far too easy...etc.
Oh dear Dixie, you asked for examples of when they've been good. You got them. I've seen Barkley have poor games, yet he's one of my favourite players. I've seen cleverly pretty anonymous in some games. Still reckon he's a decent squad player. Osman was picked for England. He was a regular in a team that consistently finished top 7. Not outstanding, but not deserving the bile that some spew his way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back