Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Tom Cleverley

Status
Not open for further replies.
In terms of similarity, I had him more pegged as

gemmill.jpg

and probably a bit below Li Tie
Good god!

He's doing exactly what he's paid to do - he keeps the tempo ticking over on that side of the pitch.

Yet loads of you want an inconsistent Belg who turns up 1 in 5 there instead, giving away possession constantly and making our team look like it's got 10 men.

He's dramatically outperformed expectations I had for him, and I can't understand criticism of him. Yes, he's not going to be doing stepovers or beating his man on the outside for a cross etc. but not every player has to do that.

He's been an incredible bargain.
Cut this out right now!

Oh dear Dixie, you asked for examples of when they've been good. You got them

What I got was an example of a single goal and a single tackle in a combined period of something in the region of 16 years...Maybe more, I just CBA counting.

Osman was picked for England.

Yeah - once!? Take a look at who else has been picked for England over the years, Jimmy... And before you start on nevile, he only got so many caps because England had nobody to compete at LB. Nevile was outrageously fortunate throughout his entire career imo, because as a footballer (and a person) he was shabbite.

Cleverley has done more graft and created more in his short time here than the other two combined....And I didn't even want him here, at first!

Howard's great teams in the 80s would have been lost without Kevin Richardson, Alan Harper and Paul Power "doing a job" when required.

Just about everyone was incredulous at the signing of Paul Power, yet he went on to become Player of the Season... in much the same that Gareth Barry might be seen this season.

I was very much in the "no way should we sign the Clev" but he's winning me over with his solid if unspectacular performances.

As Khal has said, if two or three grafting, play anywhere guys were good enough for HK in winning two championships, an FA Cup and the CWC, then Tom Clev is perfect for that role under El Bob.

What do people think of Tom Cleverley becoming our 2nd choice right-back behind Seamus Coleman? My thinking is, he has good passing, good crossing, lacks pace but can tackle being a midfielder and it fits in with our footballing philosophy....

Its not Fifa, you can't just stick players in random positions theyve never played before

He has played right-back before though you see....it would also allow Martnez more scope to develop Browning as an outright cb and get Besic into the team more often if Cleverley was our 2nd choice rb

Tubey said:
He's doing exactly what he's paid to do - he keeps the tempo ticking over on that side of the pitch.

Yet loads of you want an inconsistent Belg who turns up 1 in 5 there instead, giving away possession constantly and making our team look like it's got 10 men.

He's dramatically outperformed expectations I had for him, and I can't understand criticism of him. Yes, he's not going to be doing stepovers or beating his man on the outside for a cross etc. but not every player has to do that.

He's been an incredible bargain.

I can't find this exact post to quote it properly but that is spot on.

Cleverley provides a work ethic that is needed in this team. I also don't believe that those who favour the hard working type should write off players like Mirallas and Deulofeu for being too attacking. We have a lot of different kinds of players in our squad which is a great advantage. They all have their part to play but players like Cleverley, Lennon and McCarthy are vital in a lot of games where we need the team to keep that intensity up and cover the defence.

Just about everyone was incredulous at the signing of Paul Power, yet he went on to become Player of the Season... in much the same that Gareth Barry might be seen this season.

I was very much in the "no way should we sign the Clev" but he's winning me over with his solid if unspectacular performances.

As Khal has said, if two or three grafting, play anywhere guys were good enough for HK in winning two championships, an FA Cup and the CWC, then Tom Clev is perfect for that role under El Bob.

Blockhead pretty much sums up my thoughts on Clev, wasn't too sure about his signing at first but I have been impressed with him when he has played is a grafter who gets on with the game without putting the spotlight on himself, and I'm sure injury free and with a run in the team he will prove to be consistent.
Power is a good example he came to us later in his career and had been round the block but was unpretentious, rolled his sleeves up and put in regular solid performances.
Personally I think we have picked up a bargain here and I hope he goes on to great things with us.

Barkley Lukaku and Lennon are so good that really all Cleverley needs to do is secure that flank defensively and keep the ball moving. He did this v Chelsea very well. Sadly our defensive resolve is not good enough to carry wide players who don't work back in defence hence the poor form when Deulofeu and Kone were our wide men. Coleman Lennon and Oviedo Cleverley lock down both flanks and teams end up going through the middle where Mori and Jags are strong. Our cryptonite are crosses as seen v West Ham when Lennon went off, the flank opened up and we couldn't defend balls into our box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back