Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Tom Cleverley

Status
Not open for further replies.
By Rose? That was a foul for me, especially as the ball went out for a goal kick, anyway just saying. Also, was Kane not offside in first half - again just saying cos to me he looked it.

Tackles that take the man out after the ball were always a great chance to 'get even' once upon a time. But I thought it was now classed as not being in control of your follow through - so fouls for me. (preferred it in old days tho!)
Also - I agree. Kanes' head and chest were blatantly offside when that ball was played. But wasnt even mentioned on MotD despite the freeze frame they did.
But nothing new there I suppose.

never like to see one of our own getting crocked and my sympathies rest with Cleverly. He is not our best option in a wide, midfield role as reflected in yesterday's performance.

Really hurt to see that tackle, felt for Tom as he has been decent.
Was frankly disappointed in Dier and his snidey wrecking ball attitude, should've been off twice yesterday.
The tackle was reckless and he didn't have control of his follow through, which I thought meant a possible red in such cases. The so called experts contradict themselves on this from week to week.

I think it's a bit dangerous to say it was a great tackle because he played the ball. I mean, he clearly went through the back of Cleverly with such force that he's nearly snapped his ankle in two. I don't know how that can be the case with no punishment. I understand 'ball and man' and all that, but there's a reason laws of the game have come on a bit in the last 30 years.

This, really. Thought it was the knee at first, he twisted really awkwardly going down.
It was a heroic and strong tackle, sure, but extremely dangerous. Not to be compared to the Rose/Coleman one, this one was at much higher speed, catching Clev's leg in a scissor grip and following through with the whole body. The danger factor and angle of tackle is frequently used to book people even though they were on the ball, this tackle was 60% ball and 40% man. Should've been off.

never like to see one of our own getting crocked and my sympathies rest with Cleverly. He is not our best option in a wide, midfield role as reflected in yesterday's performance.

Totally agree mate. Gutted for the lad because he's started off really well but it just looks to me like Martinez is going to use him as a Jack of all trades and master of none. Never a winger in a million years, especially not on the left hand side.

Or even worse Naismith!

Totally agree mate. Gutted for the lad because he's started off really well but it just looks to me like Martinez is going to use him as a Jack of all trades and master of none. Never a winger in a million years, especially not on the left hand side.

Only til Barry's position becomes untenable. He's Barry's long term replacement, but these first few games have shown him worthy of playing especially over people like Naismith if the wingers aren't fit. Resting seamus and Pennington having such a shocker is what led to Wednesday's bizarre positioning and it worked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back