Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Tom Cleverley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on the game but Cleverley was the player that had created the most amount of chances in the team up until his injury so nice to have him available. Think he also will work better with Baines than Kev will.

really ? maybe I misunderstand what "created the most amount of chances" means.

IMO he's been slightly better than I expected .. but I didn't have such high expectations.

Barry, McCarthy and Cleverly starting in midfield is not exactly School of Science and a shocking waste of creativity re: Mirallas, Del, Lennon.

Baines and Pienaar works, anything else is still unproven besides I'm getting very used to enjoying watching Galloway play.

IMO he's been slightly better than I expected .. but I didn't have such high expectations.

Barry, McCarthy and Cleverly starting in midfield is not exactly School of Science and a shocking waste of creativity re: Mirallas, Del, Lennon.

Baines and Pienaar works, anything else is still unproven besides I'm getting very used to enjoying watching Galloway play.
Chances created as defined per Opta stats,
http://optasports.com/news-area/blog-optas-event-definitions/mbNewsContentTemplate

Tom created 8 in his 4 league appearances.
http://www.squawka.com/players/tom-...season-2015/2016#165#all-matches#1-9#by-match

For comparison Barkley has 16 in 9 appearances
http://www.squawka.com/players/ross...season-2015/2016#165#all-matches#1-9#by-match

And Deulofeu 6 in 7 appearances.
http://www.squawka.com/players/gera...season-2015/2016#165#all-matches#1-9#by-match

I thought he looked really good linking up with Baines. really solid, great link up, good vision..

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/2015/10/22/team-news

Roberto Martinez will wait to see how Tom Cleverley comes through the next two training sessions before deciding whether the midfielder is ready to return to Everton’s first-team at Arsenal.

Cleverley made his comeback from an ankle problem for the Under-21s against Schalke on Tuesday, successfully playing an hour without any complaints.

The former Manchester United man had been sidelined since sustaining his injury at White Hart Lane at the end of August.

“We will see how he [Cleverley] reacts from the game on Tuesday and the next two sessions are very important to measure that,” Martinez said at his pre-match press conference on Thursday.

“From a medical point of view I would say he will be 100 per cent ready, it’s just trying to work on his match fitness more than anything.”

Steven Pienaar and Bryan Oviedo also featured in the Under-21s’ 1-0 defeat to Schalke at Goodison.

Martinez is delighted that the pair are also nearing full fitness following their respective injuries.

“It was a very significant boost to see Steven Pienaar complete 45 minutes which was the plan, and Bryan Oviedo played 90 minutes,” added Martinez. “It’s great to see them looking so sharp and adding to the squad.

“As I have mentioned many times, Steven Pienaar has a different profile. The way he appreciates space, the way he gets on the ball and the way he links up with Leighton, it’s a strong part of our attacking play.

“In a way, we had to grow as a squad to find solutions because we rely immensely on that sort of link-up. It’s been pleasing to see how we have adapted but it will be fantastic to have Steven fully fit and to stay fit for the rest of the season.

“Seeing Leighton progressing very well, with Mo Besic, Tony Hibbert and Aiden McGeady, we are getting close to having a full squad.”

I thought he looked really good linking up with Baines. really solid, great link up, good vision..

Baines last played against Villareal.

Naismith's link-up play with Galloway vs. Chelsea was great, sadly it's not been of the same standard since.

I simply don't think that Cleverly should walk into the side when he's fit, I don't think he's done enough or is good enough to warrant that.

If this happens how dispiriting must that be for the other players vying for a start who know that they are better than Cleverly, offer more than Cleverly ... and did not join us on a freebie after being rejected by one of our rivals.

I reckon we'll go a type of 4-3-2-1 against Arsenal.

Howard

Coleman
Stones
Jagielka
Galloway

McCarthy
Barry
Cleverley

Kone
Barkley

Lukaku

Bench: Joel, Gibson, Mirallas, Lennon, Naismith, Deulofeu, Funes-Mori

Baines last played against Villareal.

Naismith's link-up play with Galloway vs. Chelsea was great, sadly it's not been of the same standard since.

I simply don't think that Cleverly should walk into the side when he's fit, I don't think he's done enough or is good enough to warrant that.

If this happens how dispiriting must that be for the other players vying for a start who know that they are better than Cleverly, offer more than Cleverly ... and did not join us on a freebie after being rejected by one of our rivals.

He offers a lot more than Naismith though, and probably as much as Mirallas. It's horses for courses, but we need to start him against Arsenal if he is fit. Get him in the midfield and we'll be a lot more compact. Can change him after an hour if needs be.

And I'd actually start Kone as he does provide Rom with some support up top, and they both play better as a pair. Again, after an hour/70, get Kev/Del/Lennon on depending on how the game is going.

I like Cleverley and think he's a very good player, but outwide the best he can do is a poor Pienaar impersonation, a bit like what Kone is doing on the other flank. They both have touch, composure and can pick a pass but neither have the pace in attack or defence to stretch teams. I'd like to see Tom close to Ross in the middle picking out through balls to the forwards or widemen.

Don't think he will start the arsenal game, but no matter how others perform he will be shoehorned back in, and NOT at the expense of barry or macarthy, this is martinez we are talking about

Not really getting the Cleverley love in yet personally. Though it's probably to do with him being played out left instead of dropping Barry or McCarthy. A midfield containing all 3 and possibly Kone on the right just does nothing for me. In fact I think its bloody awful

I reckon we'll go a type of 4-3-2-1 against Arsenal.

Howard

Coleman
Stones
Jagielka
Galloway

McCarthy
Barry
Cleverley

Kone
Barkley

Lukaku

Bench: Joel, Gibson, Mirallas, Lennon, Naismith, Deulofeu, Funes-Mori
But you just know Naismith will start.

But you just know Naismith will start.

I'm not so sure mate. He changed him at half time and he's mainly been playing the last few games purely down to injuries/suspensions and who we have been playing.

We need to pack the midfield against Arsenal realistically, and have a bit more pace on the break. Kone supports Rom well and it frees Barkley up to drop back and get on the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back