Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Tom Cleverley

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was very impressed with him before the injury. Played very well both defensively and was often in very good attacking positions too. He's been a very good addition in my opinion. He brings something different to Kevin and Gerard and I'm not going to get into an arguement about who should be playing.

I was very impressed with him before the injury. Played very well both defensively and was often in very good attacking positions too. He's been a very good addition in my opinion. He brings something different to Kevin and Gerard and I'm not going to get into an arguement about who should be playing.

cleverly in barrys or mccarthys place

I'm not so sure mate. He changed him at half time and he's mainly been playing the last few games purely down to injuries/suspensions and who we have been playing.

We need to pack the midfield against Arsenal realistically, and have a bit more pace on the break. Kone supports Rom well and it frees Barkley up to drop back and get on the ball.
Fingers crossed.

He offers a lot more than Naismith though, and probably as much as Mirallas. It's horses for courses, but we need to start him against Arsenal if he is fit. Get him in the midfield and we'll be a lot more compact. Can change him after an hour if needs be.

And I'd actually start Kone as he does provide Rom with some support up top, and they both play better as a pair. Again, after an hour/70, get Kev/Del/Lennon on depending on how the game is going.

I understand where you're coming from re: the Arsenal game but I if we go into that game too negatively, fearing Arsenal then we'll get murdered. If Cleverly helps us get the ball from back to front more quickly and protects Galloway, fair enough ... if not then 'k him, go with flair and at least have a go at them.

I understand where you're coming from re: the Arsenal game but I if we go into that game too negatively, fearing Arsenal then we'll get murdered. If Cleverly helps us get the ball from back to front more quickly and protects Galloway, fair enough ... if not then 'k him, go with flair and at least have a go at them.

I agree mate, but Cleeverley does get us upfield quickly. He's perfect for that 'third midfielder' role. Like against Southampton, he was the box to box player, allowing McCarthy to be the destructive player and Barry to dictate the play from deep when we countered.
I'm not saying he should play 90 minutes, but if he's fit, he should start, IMO.

Could be good coming on for last 20mins on Sat in place of one of our holding midfielders if we're chasing the game.

If we play wide expansive football we will play into their hands and get absolutely ruined on the counter by their pace. Cleverly is the sort of player I would like in this game to lock it down.

I agree mate, but Cleeverley does get us upfield quickly. He's perfect for that 'third midfielder' role. Like against Southampton, he was the box to box player, allowing McCarthy to be the destructive player and Barry to dictate the play from deep when we countered.
I'm not saying he should play 90 minutes, but if he's fit, he should start, IMO.
mccarthy is most definitely not a "destructive" player, and cleverley isnt a box to box midfielder, cleverly barry and mccarthy in the same midfield just should'nt happen, we wont get anywhere with that midfield. to have barkley cleverly barry and mccarthy all playing will never see us get anywhere near the top 4. with the likes of mirallas and deulofeu on the bench just makes it worse.

mccarthy is most definitely not a "destructive" player, and cleverley isnt a box to box midfielder, cleverly barry and mccarthy in the same midfield just should'nt happen, we wont get anywhere with that midfield. to have barkley cleverly barry and mccarthy all playing will never see us get anywhere near the top 4. with the likes of mirallas and deulofeu on the bench just makes it worse.

How can you say McCarthy isn't a destructive player? He's at his best breaking up opposition play and hounding their midfielders, winning possession and passing it on to our more creative players.

Cleverley is more than capable of a box-to-box role, in regards to his power and stamina getting him up and down the pitch at pace.

This Mirallas/Deulofeu love-in needs to stop. Their both class, yes, but unfortunately just don't show the level of consistency required to demand first-team spots on a consistent basis.

Del was brilliant against Reading and West Brom, but then was poor in the derby. Mirallas has been unlucky, but didn't help his chance with a stupid red.

I expect them both to play plenty this season, but it's horses for courses and it's very understandable why Martinez would view Cleverley as a better option to provide the side with balance.

How can you say McCarthy isn't a destructive player? He's at his best breaking up opposition play and hounding their midfielders, winning possession and passing it on to our more creative players.

Cleverley is more than capable of a box-to-box role, in regards to his power and stamina getting him up and down the pitch at pace.

This Mirallas/Deulofeu love-in needs to stop. Their both class, yes, but unfortunately just don't show the level of consistency required to demand first-team spots on a consistent basis.

Del was brilliant against Reading and West Brom, but then was poor in the derby. Mirallas has been unlucky, but didn't help his chance with a stupid red.

I expect them both to play plenty this season, but it's horses for courses and it's very understandable why Martinez would view Cleverley as a better option to provide the side with balance.
mccarthy is most definitely not a "destructive player" hes not physically dominating, hes been inconsistent this season so far and the entire of last season.
cleverley has never played as a box to box midfielder, i rate him as a player and hes a good signing but alls i said was theres no way we're going to get anywhere with him, barry and mccarthy all playing.
you talk about a mirallas/del love-in, maybe thats because we look at opposing teams like city, arsenal, chelsea etc.. none of these teams play two holding midfielders and a centre midfielder on the left.
yes del was brilliant against reading and west brom and had a poor 60 minutes in the derby. lets drop him straight away and then also ignore the talents of mirallas so we can play naismith out of position ay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back