Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Tom Cleverley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly cant say I even remember him touching the ball today. For a defender, thats a compliment. He isnt a defender.

Good to see him back tho, he'll probably start over Kone next match.

Martinez ego got in the way of us winning today. Brought on his 2 poor summer signings Lennon and cleverley just to prove a point. Should have been mirallas and Gibson.

He is one of those incredibly annoying players, as he will always be excused just because he isn't quite as crap as the boo-boys would have you believe. He's still average though, and worth less than 10 million pound in a world where Steven Naismith is worth 8 million.

Lennon was a good sub. Cleverley was put into a difficult situation. We probably should have brought Naismith on to give us some of that snide we lost when James went of. Kone shouldn't have stayed in the game.

Martinez ego got in the way of us winning today. Brought on his 2 poor summer signings Lennon and cleverley just to prove a point. Should have been mirallas and Gibson.
Good to see you are writing Tom off as an Everton player after 5 starts in our shirt!

How on earth are you certain that Gibson would have done any better, he is similarly match rusty and we've seen him cock up royally in defence when coming back from injury.

Good to see you are writing Tom off as an Everton player after 5 starts in our shirt!

How on earth are you certain that Gibson would have done any better, he is similarly match rusty and we've seen him cock up royally in defence when coming back from injury.
Gibsons naturally a more defensive player, calmer in possesion aswell which was needed.

No beef with tom though as i like him but was a bizarre move by bobby putting on someone who'd be so rusty and off pace in such a frenetic game

Our fans judge most players after 5 games.. Then its either moans n boos or songs n cheering!! Haha

Gibsons naturally a more defensive player, calmer in possesion aswell which was needed.

No beef with tom though as i like him but was a bizarre move by bobby putting on someone who'd be so rusty and off pace in such a frenetic game
Tbh when I think of Gibson's strengths it is more his vision and passing, whilst he might be a more defensive player he can suffer from some of the same issues as Barry when faced with a pressing midfield and frenetic game - especially when he is as match rusty as he is.

Thought we needed energetic legs in there to replace McCarthy's and Tom was slightly more likely to provide it than Darron but tbh neither sub option really thrilled me as both have had so little playing time that imo it was a gamble whichever one we put on.

If fit I'd probably have gone with Besic, we've had some horrendous injury luck, not as bad as Bournemouth mind!

That final goal was scored right where Gibson should have been, though -- no use saying he would have done a better job than Cleverley when he obviously didn't do the job.

That final goal was scored right where Gibson should have been, though -- no use saying he would have done a better job than Cleverley when he obviously didn't do the job.
Our biggest problem 2nd half was inability to keep the ball, gibson wouldve improved that ten fold so doubt we'd have found ourselves in that postion hanging on.

Our biggest problem 2nd half was inability to keep the ball, gibson wouldve improved that ten fold so doubt we'd have found ourselves in that postion hanging on.
But Cleverley is also very good at keeping the ball, one of the complaints of his detractors is often that he plays too safe, keeping possesion with sideways passes rather than being more adventurous .

Even in his brief cameo his pass accuracy was close to 83%, it wasn't Tom (or Darron if he'd been the sub) giving it away that was a problem - it was winning it back when one of our other players had gifted it :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back