Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Tom Cleverley

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it was odd how Osman got minutes against Villa, when Cleverley is the one who needs to be fit for games that matter.

I don't know if he'll end up being good enough to start in the middle every week, but someone needs to offer an upgrade on Barry and McCarthy sooner rather than later.

Not gonna hold yesterday against him as others have. When he came into the game Bournemouth already had us on the backfoot. THere was a definite increase in pressure once McCarthy left the pitch but that's because he was one of our only players getting stuck in. All in all it was touch circumstances for Cleverly to come into after ~3 months out. Perhaps Gibson should have came on but I'd wager the thought process was that Cleverly is more mobile. If McCarthy's out for Tuesday then Cleverly will no doubt feature, be that as a direct replacement or as a sub so hopefully he can put yesterday behind him.

Not gonna hold yesterday against him as others have. When he came into the game Bournemouth already had us on the backfoot. THere was a definite increase in pressure once McCarthy left the pitch but that's because he was one of our only players getting stuck in. All in all it was touch circumstances for Cleverly to come into after ~3 months out. Perhaps Gibson should have came on but I'd wager the thought process was that Cleverly is more mobile. If McCarthy's out for Tuesday then Cleverly will no doubt feature, be that as a direct replacement or as a sub so hopefully he can put yesterday behind him.

I think Cleverley should foul/tackle their player (Smith?) towards the end (leading to the cross for their third goal). Did he bottle when a 50/50 challenge came in>

I think Cleverley should foul/tackle their player (Smith?) towards the end (leading to the cross for their third goal). Did he bottle when a 50/50 challenge came in>
Just mistimed it I think, he certainly went fully into a challenge slightly earlier in the game - noticed it as was a touch surprised how full-blooded it was given the long layoff.

Of course that might have hurt and made him a bit less keen to try another one!

Just mistimed it I think, he certainly went fully into a challenge slightly earlier in the game - noticed it as was a touch surprised how full-blooded it was given the long layoff.

Of course that might have hurt and made him a bit less keen to try another one!

He better suit playing as a side midfielder. Don't think he is fully fit yet.

I thought it was odd how Osman got minutes against Villa, when Cleverley is the one who needs to be fit for games that matter.

I don't know if he'll end up being good enough to start in the middle every week, but someone needs to offer an upgrade on Barry and McCarthy sooner rather than later.

He was superb yesterday. We wouldn't have thrown it away with him on the pitch.

And that was Barry's first relatively poor game in a good few weeks. He's rarely put a foot wrong this season, and they're by far our best central midfield partnership

He was superb yesterday. We wouldn't have thrown it away with him on the pitch.

And that was Barry's first relatively poor game in a good few weeks. He's rarely put a foot wrong this season, and they're by far our best central midfield partnership
Teams walk through the middle against Everton far too often, and they don't offer enough on the ball.

Teams walk through the middle against Everton far too often, and they don't offer enough on the ball.

And they've walked through us far easier when those two haven't played (Barnsley, first half at Reading, Bournemouth after McCarthy went off - to name a few examples).

Most of the goals we concede (in fact, the vast majority) are from crosses into the box, that the goalkeeper and defenders fail to deal with.

McCarthy and Barry constantly get stick from a certain section of the fanbase. And that's just down to opinion. But they're quite clearly our best two options there, and I'm pretty sure that any other team in the league barring the teams above us would happily have quality like that in their midfield.

And they've walked through us far easier when those two haven't played (Barnsley, first half at Reading, Bournemouth after McCarthy went off - to name a few examples).

Most of the goals we concede (in fact, the vast majority) are from crosses into the box, that the goalkeeper and defenders fail to deal with.

McCarthy and Barry constantly get stick from a certain section of the fanbase. And that's just down to opinion. But they're quite clearly our best two options there, and I'm pretty sure that any other team in the league barring the teams above us would happily have quality like that in their midfield.

You are right about Barry, that was his first sloppy 2nd half performance in a good few weeks and McCarthy has just started to look like his old self the past couple of games.

I'd be a little worried if Cleverley starts tomorrow. I think he can only risk starting with one of Cleverley, Besic, Baines as there's no doubt one of them would need to come off around the hour mark. I think even Gibson would probably struggle to do a full 90 minutes.

You are right about Barry, that was his first sloppy 2nd half performance in a good few weeks and McCarthy has just started to look like his old self the past couple of games.

I'd be a little worried if Cleverley starts tomorrow. I think he can only risk starting with one of Cleverley, Besic, Baines as there's no doubt one of them would need to come off around the hour mark. I think even Gibson would probably struggle to do a full 90 minutes.

I actually think all three will start. Don't think Gibbo and Barry ever works as a partnership as neither offer any pace.

Another option could be to drop Barkley deeper from the off and put either Naismith or Osman in the No.10 position.

I actually think all three will start. Don't think Gibbo and Barry ever works as a partnership as neither offer any pace.

Another option could be to drop Barkley deeper from the off and put either Naismith or Osman in the No.10 position.

I think he might be taking a risk throwing all 3 in along with Gibson but like you, I can see it happening.

Ideally they would be phased in bit by bit as I don't want to be caught cold tomorrow evening die to players being too rusty. Big chance to progress tomorrow!!

I think he might be taking a risk throwing all 3 in along with Gibson but like you, I can see it happening.

Ideally they would be phased in bit by bit as I don't want to be caught cold tomorrow evening die to players being too rusty. Big chance to progress tomorrow!!

True.

personally think it may be something along these lines...

Joel

Coleman - Stones - Mori - Baines

Besic - Barry

Mirallas - Barkley - Cleverley

Lukaku

Subs: Gibson, Kone, Lennon, Naismith, Deulofeu, Osman, Howard

I really do not see how anyone on here can point to a single individual as being to blame for our collapse in the second half? We were two nil up against a poor side! And before anyone sasy what good football they pkay, i would ask how many of their players would you have in our team? None for me! They are what they are a championship side! We lost yesterday becasue the entire side thought it was game ober, another Sunderland, and when Bournemouth started to fight, we just folded! The whole teams wins, the whole team loses, and if we seriously cannot hold a two goal lead against teams like that, simply because we lost one of our grafters through injury, then any talk of cups or Eurpoe is simply madness!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back