Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Tom Cleverley

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, Villa fans weren't raving, United fans thought he was abysmal, and so far he doesn't really seem to be worth an immediate first team start (which is what he has been afforded straight back from injury).

Doesn't score many goals, doesn't get many assists, doesn't link the play as well as McCarthy, doesn't tackle or break up the play as well as Barry, can't hold the ball up like Kone, can't dribble past a player like Del, doesn't have the goals or flair in him of Barkley or Mirallas...

Dunno, I don't see much in him at all.

McCarthy has many assets but that wouldn't be one I'd pick out. Far rather have Cleverley doing that than McCarthy

Out of a matter of interest, what did you think Pienaar brought to the side when he was here? I don't think he's particularly brilliant at any of those things you've just listed.

Precisely.

McCarthy has many assets but that wouldn't be one I'd pick out. Far rather have Cleverley doing that than McCarthy

Out of a matter of interest, what did you think Pienaar brought to the side when he was here? I don't think he's particularly brilliant at any of those things you've just listed.

Pienaar effectively changed the way Everton play football when he came in

The speed with which the ball got moved about in close marking and the final third increased massively

Never in a million years is Cleverly close to a peak-form Pienaar.

McCarthy is the best box-to-box, link player at the Club. Again, Cleverly not even close - can't tackle, no real pace, no real aggression.

As brilliant as a number of the Martinez signings are (like Lukaku, Del, Barry - I'd even say Galloway to be honest) Cleverly can't be any higher than a squad filling, mid-ranger sort of addition; and yet was put straight back in the side for no apparent reason.

To be fair, Villa fans weren't raving, United fans thought he was abysmal, and so far he doesn't really seem to be worth an immediate first team start (which is what he has been afforded straight back from injury).

Doesn't score many goals, doesn't get many assists, doesn't link the play as well as McCarthy, doesn't tackle or break up the play as well as Barry, can't hold the ball up like Kone, can't dribble past a player like Del, doesn't have the goals or flair in him of Barkley or Mirallas...

Dunno, I don't see much in him at all.
Effectiveness wise hes on a par with Lennon - i.e. not at all.

As brilliant as a number of the Martinez signings are (like Lukaku, Del, Barry - I'd even say Galloway to be honest) Cleverly can't be any higher than a squad filling, mid-ranger sort of addition; and yet was put straight back in the side for no apparent reason.

The reason is that McCarthy is injured and Gibson and Besic are never fit. For better or worse Roberto will never not start a league match with Barry and McCarthy as our midfield two. I think Cleverely was brought in to play LM and cover other positions when necessary and on a free he's a decent squad addition. He was looking good at LM before his injury and one bad game in DM doesn't change that.

The reason is that McCarthy is injured and Gibson and Besic are never fit. For better or worse Roberto will never not start a league match with Barry and McCarthy as our midfield two. I think Cleverely was brought in to play LM and cover other positions when necessary and on a free he's a decent squad addition. He was looking good at LM before his injury and one bad game in DM doesn't change that.

And yet when he plays LM, Lukaku plays worse as he has no one to do the hold-up play for him.

Forcing Cleverly into the team is a poor, poor idea.

And yet when he plays LM, Lukaku plays worse as he has no one to do the hold-up play for him.

Forcing Cleverly into the team is a poor, poor idea.

Cleverley is, to my mind, Osman's replacement.

A technically good footballer who can play in a variety of midfield roles

I don't have an issue with him coming back into the side given McCarthy has been out - Besic or Gibson are the only two alternatives. Besic is a bit of a myth perpetuated by a small element of our support last season whilst Gibson would be a genuine option if he could keep himself fit and off the ale.

As far as Cleverley goes on the left, I think we need to see him playing with an attacking full back like Baines before we can make any sort of judgement about his suitability for the position

Pienaar effectively changed the way Everton play football when he came in

The speed with which the ball got moved about in close marking and the final third increased massively

Never in a million years is Cleverly close to a peak-form Pienaar.

McCarthy is the best box-to-box, link player at the Club. Again, Cleverly not even close - can't tackle, no real pace, no real aggression.

Barkley is the best player we have when it comes to "box to box, link player" whatever the hell that is.
Barkley can pick it up and just runs with it

Cleverley is, to my mind, Osman's replacement.

A technically good footballer who can play in a variety of midfield roles

I don't have an issue with him coming back into the side given McCarthy has been out - Besic or Gibson are the only two alternatives. Besic is a bit of a myth perpetuated by a small element of our support last season whilst Gibson would be a genuine option if he could keep himself fit and off the ale.

As far as Cleverley goes on the left, I think we need to see him playing with an attacking full back like Baines before we can make any sort of judgement about his suitability for the position

I cannot believe this is possible, but Ostosh is a far, far superior in every department (bar female partner) to Cleverly.

Cos i was guessing you meant a player that can link up play from box to box?

Gets it off the defenders, dictates the pace of the play, gives the ball to attacking players (like Barkley) in final third.

Dunno, is this complicated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back