Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Tom Cleverley

Status
Not open for further replies.
65% passing accuracy, not one tackle or interception in the whole game. Two CMs looking on from the bench while Cleverley has his worst game in a blue shirt. If he can't get subbed off after that then he never will.

Even in his good games we've hardly been tearing it up. 8 points from the 8 games he's played. He has a lot of positive attributes but they've very rarely amounted to anything and all in all he's hardly having a positive effect on the whole team performance so far.

Sideways passer - limited assists. The lad has.. no... pace... Need to burst and beat players in his role. He doesn't. OK nor does barry but he reads and passes well and blocks pretty well. I so miss Gibson in this role, wish we'd seen more of him.

Would like to see him on the left of a midfield diamond next to McCarthy, with Barry playing in front of the back 4 and Barkley in behind the front 2. Think this would give the full backs more freedom to get forward without leaving us wide open.

Extremely harsh.

I'd love to be proved wrong. E.g. Where are the assits / goals for us or Villa... All I occasionally read though is he technically better than Steven Naismith. I'll take the latter's goals and work rate and linking up any day!

Apologies if it sounded harsh, though. I am a supporter, so point noted.

With respect to TC himself - it is hard on young lads that 'break through' (or otherwise) at the so-called big clubs.The weight of expectation is disproportionately high. But stats tend not to lie over time. I'm not saying they're the only predictor of the future but without any obvious defensive or attacking attributes to his game I think he joins a list of other attacking-minded Utd players like Russell Beardsmore, Luke Chadwick etc who show that too early at big club is less useful to developing your game than working your way up on merit (Vardy, Ian Wright, Ricky Lambert etc).

He is English though, and I am forever behind the clubs and managers that give all British and Irish lads a go. As I say - very open-minded to anything that proves otherwise, not least an upturn in form from TC himself! Overall though I do think it's a poor bit of business for player and club. If he dropped down to a smaller club and developed himself then fair play. I sort of see as a Tom Huddlestone type player (without the shot). great touch, for whatever reason less end-product. 5/6 out of 10.

Would like to see him on the left of a midfield diamond next to McCarthy, with Barry playing in front of the back 4 and Barkley in behind the front 2. Think this would give the full backs more freedom to get forward without leaving us wide open.
Why would anyone want to see Barry McCarthy and cleverly play in our midfield every week
One yes two at a push but three
Well you can look forward to mid table for ever
And some in here saying play him on the left
Like he's turned into pienaar over night
History tells you them three don't score many goals or get assists

We need a lot more quality to move forward
Why not play McCarthy and Barkley in midfield and go and buy a number 10 and a class left winger IE yarmelenko

And cleverly can be a squad player

Its simple yet brilliant, we just need to go out and buy 2 class players, why didn't Bobby think of that!
Well he should have money this summer
and this is what is I would like to see may not be Martinez's thinking
But even with no money he's got plenty of options not to play basically 3 defensive midfielders

You're comparing Naismith and Gibson to Cleverley?

A-- Stephen Naismith (Goalscoring machine)
31 games 4 goals
31 games 5 goals
31 games 6 goals

B-- Darron Gibson (Iron-man)
11 games 1 goal
23 games 1 goal
1 game 0 goals
9 games 0 goals

C-- Tom Cleverley
22 games 2 goals
22 games 1 goal
32 games 3 goals

I think you can write Gibson off and also if you check the passing stats of Cleverley and Naismith you will find that Cleverley's will be far higher.

I cant see how you can compare Naismith who really is such a limited player to Cleverley who is a link between midfield and attack and im really not sure where this myth about him being a midfield goalscorer comes from when hes rarely scored and doesnt even play in the same position as cleverley or gibson.

So random...

I'd love to be proved wrong. E.g. Where are the assits / goals for us or Villa... All I occasionally read though is he technically better than Steven Naismith. I'll take the latter's goals and work rate and linking up any day!

Apologies if it sounded harsh, though. I am a supporter, so point noted.

With respect to TC himself - it is hard on young lads that 'break through' (or otherwise) at the so-called big clubs.The weight of expectation is disproportionately high. But stats tend not to lie over time. I'm not saying they're the only predictor of the future but without any obvious defensive or attacking attributes to his game I think he joins a list of other attacking-minded Utd players like Russell Beardsmore, Luke Chadwick etc who show that too early at big club is less useful to developing your game than working your way up on merit (Vardy, Ian Wright, Ricky Lambert etc).

He is English though, and I am forever behind the clubs and managers that give all British and Irish lads a go. As I say - very open-minded to anything that proves otherwise, not least an upturn in form from TC himself! Overall though I do think it's a poor bit of business for player and club. If he dropped down to a smaller club and developed himself then fair play. I sort of see as a Tom Huddlestone type player (without the shot). great touch, for whatever reason less end-product. 5/6 out of 10.

In the centre or out of the team for me. I'm bored of this 'one winger' crap. It doesn't work, we've been unbalanced all season.

Play Kev and Del either side of Lukaku and let's give the opposition something to really think about. It's not like we are tight defensively when only one of them plays.

1 bad game and people making out hes awful

get a grip.

To be fair, Villa fans weren't raving, United fans thought he was abysmal, and so far he doesn't really seem to be worth an immediate first team start (which is what he has been afforded straight back from injury).

Doesn't score many goals, doesn't get many assists, doesn't link the play as well as McCarthy, doesn't tackle or break up the play as well as Barry, can't hold the ball up like Kone, can't dribble past a player like Del, doesn't have the goals or flair in him of Barkley or Mirallas...

Dunno, I don't see much in him at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back