Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Tom Cleverley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also - Echo is carrying slightly different quotes from Martinez which are obviously still gushing but make a bit more sense than how the Telegraph presented them:

"“I wouldn’t sell him for any money in the current market,” he said after Everton’s 3-0 win.

“The value that you can give to him... clearly for whatever reason he didn’t fit in another football club, but in another football club, in our football club you can really see the value that he has, the effect he has on other players.

“Being English is an incredible, incredible premium and I want to see him go from strength to strength because I know there is so much more to come from him.

“You saw the delivery, the work rate. I think we have ten goals a season to get into his game very quickly.

“And I think he can go even further.

“I know Tom really well and I don’t think you can have a better English player with the ability and the experience and the tough lessons that he has had to go through.

JS81985551.jpg

Tom Cleverley is challenged by Jack Butland to earn a penalty. "Tom's run is something we have been working on," says Roberto Martinez.

“Technically as good as you are going to get. Probably his football understanding as good as you are going to get and that showed today.

“His run for the penalty is something we have been working on.

“The way he executes, the way that he reads the game, the way he gives you a platform for the ball.

“For me he is one of the most sensational free transfers you are going to see in Premier League history.”"

He's actually mental, Martinez isn't he. Cleverley is alright. What is Martinez waffling on about there though?
och, he knows the papers have column inches to fill, he (rightly in my view) prefers them to be filled with stuff about how good our Club, Team and Players are rather than some guff puff piece about the RS or ManUre/Chelski. We don't get the coverage we deserve half the time so it's silly having a go at him for saying quasai-outrageous stuff to get the headlines/column inches.

OK mate, you didn't get agitated at all. I don't think it was me who used the words bang average, but I absolutely maintain that only mid table clubs and below would be interested in signing him, and that he would only be sold for a low figure if he was to be sold.

....but this is the skill of Martinez in the transfer market. He had Cleverley at Wigan and knew that there was a lot of talent in him that had not yet blossomed...he is now showing that talent more and more. McCarthy was with a relegated club and is now twice the player he was at Wigan...Robles is now by fairly general consent a better keeper than he was at Wigan. The best of Delefeu is seen more often.......Lennon is showing how good he is now that he is being given the freedom to play like he can......Funes Mori is proving that he was worth the fee paid...Stones has a lot to learn but is potentially one of the best in Europe....Besic lights up the pitch when injuries permit. A lot of the above were bought for round about £4-8 million or were free, but Martinez will also pay more if neccesary. Spending £4 million on a player does not mean that the player is worth only four million.

Saying that you won't find a better technical player than him too? Or at least that's what it sounds like. And there have been some amazing free transfers in the PL era. Michael Ballack was a free transfer for Chelsea
There's such a chasm in context between 'technically as good as you're going to get' and 'you won't find a better technical player'. Sound a bit similar but they're not. And then it's only a slight leap in imagination to him saying he's the best player on the planet. It's no biggie except why not just repeat what he's said if people want to express an opinion rather than push a line.

Against better opposition he will get found out on the left wing because of his lack of pace. He'll continue to drift inside exposing the left back.

His rightful position, and where I consider him to be most effective is in the middle. Our best attacking performances that have not been on the counter attack have come when he is in the middle. When you pair him with Barry though the collective lack of pace in midfield makes us very vulnerable (as we saw). I would like to see Besic sat deep with Ross and Cleverley ahead of him in a three. I consider that our best midfield in my opinion. Martinez's allegiance to Barry though means we will always be overcompensating by unbalancing some other part of the midfield to carry him. In this instance it's the creativity which is why Kone and Cleverley have been favoured on the left to more direct players like Mirallas or Lennon.

Drop Barry, and our options in terms of how we could play would increase which could see Cleverley playing very effectively in the middle.

....but this is the skill of Martinez in the transfer market. He had Cleverley at Wigan and knew that there was a lot of talent in him that had not yet blossomed...he is now showing that talent more and more. McCarthy was with a relegated club and is now twice the player he was at Wigan...Robles is now by fairly general consent a better keeper than he was at Wigan. The best of Delefeu is seen more often.......Lennon is showing how good he is now that he is being given the freedom to play like he can......Funes Mori is proving that he was worth the fee paid...Stones has a lot to learn but is potentially one of the best in Europe....Besic lights up the pitch when injuries permit. A lot of the above were bought for round about £4-8 million or were free, but Martinez will also pay more if neccesary. Spending £4 million on a player does not mean that the player is worth only four million.

This is entirely true. You also have to bear in mind a winning 11 is not always filled with 11 world class players. Even the great Manchester United sides had players like Cleverley in and got the best out of them.

I also think Cleverley is one of those players that gets better in better teams with better players around him. He works very hard, takes up interesting positions and his interplay is very strong. He is not the sort of player who will win you a game or is a cut above, or if you a similarly mid table side will lift you to the next level but he fits in very well.

He suits us very well. He does a little bit of everything. I am glad to see Martinez talking about him getting 10 goals a season. That should be his target as he can pop up in important areas. For all people go on about players like Lallana I think Cleverley is very similar and every bit as good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back