Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Tom Cleverley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coverage is all about it being fashionable from the new breed of BANTZ "journalists" to slate Tom Cleverley

We all know Martinez is overzealous in his praise. I don't recall the same level of coverage when Martinez said Kone is as good as Drogba on his day...

I hope Cleverley continues to perform. Alex Ferguson rated him very highly, he was their scapegoat in a time of transition and injuries didn't help him.

He's in better form than media darlings Delph and Henderson...

I like clevs he's a nice tidy player with a great all round skill set. Decent pace, good engine, crisp passing range, footy iq. Ect. But I still think we can do better. A wide playmaker in the silva peinaar of old mold, tricky winger with good skills and delivery, inside forward with goal scoring nack (kev like) or niasse if he's any good. I just feel like we can do better then a wide midfielder who ticks play over

He'll be the new Osman

Very useful, intelligent player, but there'll be loads of people who will simply never like him

Cleverly doesn't even have the "blue on the pitch" or "great servant" tag yet, so I do feel for Tom in his early years which will be filled with quite vitriol scapegoatism.

Fingers crossed he's over his spell of little niggles as well now.

If he can stay fit he's gonna be key for us in the last third of the season.

....but this is the skill of Martinez in the transfer market. He had Cleverley at Wigan and knew that there was a lot of talent in him that had not yet blossomed...he is now showing that talent more and more. McCarthy was with a relegated club and is now twice the player he was at Wigan...Robles is now by fairly general consent a better keeper than he was at Wigan. The best of Delefeu is seen more often.......Lennon is showing how good he is now that he is being given the freedom to play like he can......Funes Mori is proving that he was worth the fee paid...Stones has a lot to learn but is potentially one of the best in Europe....Besic lights up the pitch when injuries permit. A lot of the above were bought for round about £4-8 million or were free, but Martinez will also pay more if neccesary. Spending £4 million on a player does not mean that the player is worth only four million.

Absolutely none of that changes the fact that nobody was interested in signing him when United wanted to sell him for 7 or 8 million. So how much do you think he is worth then? What calibre of club do you think would be after him if he was put up for sale? He's a squad player, and we wouldn't have even signed him if he wasn't free.

Embarrassment all round this morning for McNulty and Prentice. The pair of them hawking around that story earlier about Martinez saying Cleverley was one of the most sensational players in Premier League history. Prentice wrote the lie, McNulty who also hates Martinez as much as the plagiariser Prentice repeating it on Twitter. Now O'Keeffe has corrected the quote as him actually having said "best free transfer in the Premier League".

Pair of unspeakable hacks.

Fabricating stories. The club should be right onto the Echo forcing departures of their staff or at the very least blanket banning them. McNulty for his part is the disgusting slug who left his slime trail at Goodison whilst at the Echo looking to make trouble for Joe Royle and petitioning for his sacking.

There's no place for 'journalism' like there's. They need to sack themselves off never mind trying to hound another Everton manager through the exit door.

Christ, Prenno and McNulty are decent enough, was an honest mistake. Why is everything such a big conspiracy.

Absolutely none of that changes the fact that nobody was interested in signing him when United wanted to sell him for 7 or 8 million. So how much do you think he is worth then? What calibre of club do you think would be after him if he was put up for sale? He's a squad player, and we wouldn't have even signed him if he wasn't free.

He's a very good squad player though and he's doing a very good job for us.

The issue with Cleverley's development has always been that he's so versatile that it has hindered him to an extent, as he's never managed to secure a set role mainly due to injuries to others.

The last few games he's played in advanced role. When attacking he is given free-reign, and when defending he drops back and tucks in to help the left back.

But he also provides a really capable option for anywhere in midfield.

It's exactly what a team like us needs.

Rightly criticise.

He went utterly missing in the biggest game of our season and was hopeless against Carlisle.

He's been good for two games and the usual 'Osman Qualifier' scales have fallen on everyone's eyes - works hard, good engine and the absolute best one 'tidy'.

This season is his most effective ever and he has three assists.

Three. A man who once played in the same team as Wayne Rooney and Robin Van Persie managed three assists.

He now plays in the same team as Lukaku, one of our most natural finishers ever, and he has three. The same number as Kone.

How many assists has gareth Barry got this year. Who has dictated that cleverley is in the team to be our main playmaker/assist king. I would guess that tom is playing for his ability to lock down the left side which has been a massive problem all year. Some would say he has done his job very well. Regards the Man city away game tell me a everton player that out performed that evening.

How many assists has gareth Barry got this year. Who has dictated that cleverley is in the team to be our main playmaker/assist king. I would guess that tom is playing for his ability to lock down the left side which has been a massive problem all year. Some would say he has done his job very well. Regards the Man city away game tell me a everton player that out performed that evening.

Massive problem this year

Has done his job very well.

This doesn't even make any sense.
Regards the Man city away game tell me a everton player that out performed that evening.

Ross Barkley. Gareth Barry. Del in first half. Easy.

How many assists has gareth Barry got this year.

Barry - two assists as the deepest lying midfielder in the squad.

Cleverley on the left and sometimes in the middle - total 3, including when he has been taking corners.

We could just bring back that lickspittle Neville for a true axis of evil

My issue with Cleverley is the fact he is invisisble in the middle of the park. This cops him a fair bit of flack for it but he clearly isn't suited to that role.

I like him, think he is a great squad player to have and when he does get a chance in his preferred positions then he definitely doing well there. For a lad that was free, just being another osman will do for me.

How can you so consistently ignore all the facts people point to that don't suit your argument and expect to be taken seriously.

Saying that you won't find a better technical player than him too? Or at least that's what it sounds like. And there have been some amazing free transfers in the PL era. Michael Ballack was a free transfer for Chelsea

What do you want him to say? he's very average technically? He rates him, Alex Ferguson rated him, he must have some ability.

As for Ballack - the clue was in the word "ONE" of the best free transfers. Are we now going to carefully scour free transfers from the last 25 years to compare them all against him? Ballack was quite a while ago now.

It's no big deal, he has just praised a player he rates highly, is that a major concern?

Massive problem this year

Has done his job very well.

This doesn't even make any sense.

Ross Barkley. Gareth Barry. Del in first half. Easy.

Barry - two assists as the deepest lying midfielder in the squad.

Cleverley on the left and sometimes in the middle - total 3, including when he has been taking corners.

We could just bring back that lickspittle Neville for a true axis of evil
Are you confusing your fantasy football team with the real world?
Quick test. What colour is a football pitch? Don't ask your mum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back