Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Tom Cleverley

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it would be hard to argue against this. The reason United got rid of him is because he clearly isn't top 4 quality.
Don't think it's as simple as that. Chelsea flogged Lukaku and De Bruyne because they were deemed not good enough for them. Man City proved them wrong and Lukaku is firmly on his way too. SAF clearly rated Cleverley and I take him a lot more serious as a top class manager than Moyes and LvG.
Manager, tactics, position, playing style and confidence play a massive part in any player reaching his potential.

It's way out of line.

The club should ban the Echo completely and demand that feller apologise.

"Tosh". FFS he should look at his own input: years worth of tat. That's his contribution to the party. A hack on a local rag having a pop at a successful manager. It'd be funny if it wasn't so serious.

He's probably the only footy journo in the history of the Echo covering Everton and Liverpool not to be picked up by one of the nationals. That's how bad that feller is.

Define 'successful', please.

Disagree but the argument has been done to death over the past 20 odd pages.
I meant as a starter for the team, not just a player at the club. When I look at other teams pushing for champions league places, I highly doubt cleverly would get in their midfields, however he would be a very usual addition for some of their squads and I think he will do well. As it stands you are only as good as your last game and cleverly and the rest of the starting 11 at Stoke deserve to retain their places for the west brom game.

lol I have a few more things going on in my life that take priority over dealing with your breakdowns on the internet lol I've provided you with two facts about Cleverley, where are your facts that I supposedly keep on ignoring?
2 facts that are totally irrelevant when judging tom cleverly as an everton football player. The guy is not a striker so why does his goal scoring record come into it, secondly, What does no takers at 8m to us ,we get a good player for nothing , great bit of business.

Decent squad player. We need better for the first eleven though. He's not worth selling as we wouldn't get much for him.
that would be down to his poor goal scoring record and ability to get his shots blocked by opponents.], I guess.

I meant as a starter for the team, not just a player at the club. When I look at other teams pushing for champions league places, I highly doubt cleverly would get in their midfields, however he would be a very usual addition for some of their squads and I think he will do well. As it stands you are only as good as your last game and cleverly and the rest of the starting 11 at Stoke deserve to retain their places for the west brom game.
Personally think he is good enough to be a starter for the team in the left postion, especially away from home or against tough opposition, as think he gives a nice balance between creating chances and covering his fullback.

However agree with you about rewarding form, good to have competition for places and if he does get rested/injured and someone else steps up and performs then that will only benefit the team.

Btw Whoscored were basing the team of the week on their metrics - for our game they had Lukaku MOTM, followed by Cleverley/Coleman and then Lennon. Don't agree, had Lennon as well myself, but they just base the ratings on their stats!

It's pretty hilarious how some on here thought it was an awful signing. While I never pretended to know exactly how it would turn out, I believe my attitude was "He's free, and let's see what happens. If he's tosh, he won't play. If he isn't, it's a great signing".

Sticking my neck out here, he's not been tosh.

Define 'successful', please.
Winning the FA Cup with an ale house team; taking another one from South Wales and teaching them how to play football and constructing them so well that no other succeeding manager dared tinkered with the method; taking Moyes' team to a record 72 PL points total and dragging the club into the 21st century.

Of course, none of that stacks up to "Prennos" 25 years at the Echo and his tragical history tour articles.

I'm sorry but how can Aaron Lennon not get in that team of the week? Cleverly had a decent game (no more on Saturday) yet he gets picked over Lennon. As I've mentioned in another thread, to me cleverly is a squad player. If we are a team with aspirations to push for a champions league places, we need better quality than cleverly. Harsh but true.

Cos Lennon played RW and wasnt as good as Mahrez.

Stop fuming lad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back