Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Tom Cleverley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite being in the last year of his contract Villa put in a 8m bid for Tom but he turned it down as was holding out on a move to Everton.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...leverley-as-player-wanted-Everton-switch.html

Bit similar to Lennon in this window, held his nerve until Spurs reduced their price.

Exactly. Relegation threatened Aston Villa making an 8 million pound bid is hardly comparable to Lukaku moving to Everton in a 28 million pound move.

And thats a fair judgement, 1 which most sane people will agree with.

Most of us arent saying hes Zidane and most of us wouldnt put him in a current "best 11", but as a squad player, im not sure why people are objecting so much. Its as if these people think we should fill the squad full of 30m back ups.

Yeah, certainly from a value for money perspective I have no gripes, definitely worth a gamble being a free and seeing how it went. He's done better than I initially thought he would and my opinion now is as above.

And thats a fair judgement, 1 which most sane people will agree with.

Most of us arent saying hes Zidane and most of us wouldnt put him in a current "best 11", but as a squad player, im not sure why people are objecting so much. Its as if these people think we should fill the squad full of 30m back ups.
probably the biggest resentment comes not from him not being a decent squad filler, but the distinct possibility he becomes a martinez favourite, and, he may well play well enough to earn and keep his, but the impression is he doesn't have to earn as much as other players, fans resent such things, especially when they prefer other players, rightly or wrongly

probably the biggest resentment comes from not him not being a decent squad filler, but the distinct possibility he becomes a martinez favourite, and, he may well play well enough to earn and keep his, but the impression is he doesn't have to earn as much as other players, fans resent such things, especially when they prefer other players, rightly or wrongly

Oh I agree and it was a concern prior to him signing, that he would take games off Besic, I was quite vocal in that stance.

But dont worry, if it goes that way, we can find him.

We offered 5m, Villa offered 8m.

They rejected our offer and he rejected Villas.

It was hardly the biggest secret in football that he only wanted to sign for us.

First I've heard of a five million pound bid from Everton. Even if this is true, a five million pound bid is hardly comparable to the Lukaku and De Bruyne moves, and it still proves that the worst United side in living memory were trying to get rid of him as he wasn't good enough for them.

Exactly. Relegation threatened Aston Villa making an 8 million pound bid is hardly comparable to Lukaku moving to Everton in a 28 million pound move.
Personallly think 8m for a player in last year of contract is generous but suit yourself.

The lad wears our shirt now, why not judge him on his performances in it? If you are right you'll have plenty of ammunition to bash him without using his transfer fee.

First I've heard of a five million pound bid from Everton. Even if this is true, a five million pound bid is hardly comparable to the Lukaku and De Bruyne moves, and it still proves that the worst United side in living memory were trying to get rid of him as he wasn't good enough for them.

Second, and final, time of asking ...

Err, mate, it's considered poor form to logon as a multi when you've been thread banned.
Admittedly Chico does it, but his are so obvious it's hard to take offence.

Kindly shut up.

But the two players you mention were still in high demand. In Lukaku's case, he was moving to a club willing to break their transfer record for him, De Bruyne also moved in a multimillion pound deal, whereas Cleverley had to go on loan to a hapless Aston Villa before moving to Everton on a free transfer.
Pretty sure we wanted him before he went to Villa. Just something between us and United, about the valuation seeing he was in the last year of his contract. Think it was always clear from day one at Villa he was running down his contract at United there. Imo he was bound to sign for Everton/Martinez from day one.

Personallly think 8m for a player in last year of contract is generous but suit yourself.

The lad wears our shirt now, why not judge him on his performances in it? If you are right you'll have plenty of ammunition to bash him without using his transfer fee.

But the bid came from a desperate Aston Villa, hardly the same as a widely coveted Lukaku. Not sure why you think I want to bash him, I think he is a.decent squad player, nothing wrong with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back