Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2018/19 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its sad you don"t.
Who said I don’t? He’s not good enough currently and has shown no reason why he should be in the first 11. However, we now have a good coach that could, potentially, improve him. TD was invited into the England squad training as a teenager, so there must be something there. I’m not naive though and view him on current talent rather than being a blue.

TD has some crab like qualities but he’s the only currently fit CM that we have that picks the ball up from the back two and instead of looking for the full backs and spinning, looks for a forward ball to a winger before offering himself again through the middle.

A confident TD is well worth having in our squad. There’s just something there when he’s feeling it.

When he’s not, we get what we saw last season. I reckon Marco can bring the confident swagger back to his game.
I recall him receiving the ball many times in central positions with space to run into or move it forward, but instead he looked for Baines. Alright, he made a few decent passes towards the end of the game, and he’s only young, but I still struggle to see what he will become. He’s not blessed with pace, he’s not physically powerful, he’s not particularly agile and his passing isn’t anything special. He’s alright for his age like, and I hope he proves me wrong cause seems like a sound lad, but I doubt it.

Who said I don’t? He’s not good enough currently and has shown no reason why he should be in the first 11. However, we now have a good coach that could, potentially, improve him. TD was invited into the England squad training as a teenager, so there must be something there. I’m not naive though and view him on current talent rather than being a blue.
See. Most of that post I agree with completely. It's the last sentence I don't get. Why judge him on his current talent when he's still only 20. He's still learning the game and we thankfully have a manager now who will hopefully help him develop rather than just throw him in the deep end to get on with it.

He isn't ready for that yet and nor should he be expected to be.

See. Most of that post I agree with completely. It's the last sentence I don't get. Why judge him on his current talent when he's still only 20. He's still learning the game and we thankfully have a manager now who will hopefully help him develop rather than just throw him in the deep end to get on with it.

He isn't ready for that yet and nor should he be expected to be.
you can only judge him on his current talent! My original post was linked to yours about age. You’ve just said he’s not ready so you’re basically agreeing with me on every point. I’d love him to be better, but at the moment he’s not good enough.whether he will be or not is Yet to be seen...

you can only judge him on his current talent! My original post was linked to yours about age. You’ve just said he’s not ready so you’re basically agreeing with me on every point. I’d love him to be better, but at the moment he’s not good enough.whether he will be or not is Yet to be seen...
This is the post I was responding to.
Don’t like him personally. Still not sure what he’s supposed to be; not strong enough to be a presence in the midfield and not creative enough to run the midfield.
WTF do you expect from somebody who's just turned 20 FFS. Of course the age issue is relevant when you're dealing with posts like this. I sometimes think people expect all players to be as good as Richarlison and Neves are 21, but they aren't.

The fact that some players that age get thrown in the deep end is usually down to bad managers or bad recruitment/injuries. It's not the players fault. It's not as if they can turn round to the manager and say, sorry boss I'm not ready yet.

I recall him receiving the ball many times in central positions with space to run into or move it forward, but instead he looked for Baines. Alright, he made a few decent passes towards the end of the game, and he’s only young, but I still struggle to see what he will become. He’s not blessed with pace, he’s not physically powerful, he’s not particularly agile and his passing isn’t anything special. He’s alright for his age like, and I hope he proves me wrong cause seems like a sound lad, but I doubt it.

That's fair enough and a miles better post than anything you usually get on here in response to a criticism of a player.

This is the post I was responding to.

WTF do you expect from somebody who's just turned 20 FFS. Of course the age issue is relevant when you're dealing with posts like this. I sometimes think people expect all players to be as good as Richarlison and Neves are 21, but they aren't.

The fact that some players that age get thrown in the deep end is usually down to bad managers or bad recruitment/injuries. It's not the players fault. It's not as if they can turn round to the manager and say, sorry boss I'm not ready yet.
So you’re saying he’s not ready yet? You’re agreeing with me again!

So you’re saying he’s not ready yet? You’re agreeing with me again!
I have never said he should be a regular starter. He isn't ready for that. He's played far too many games for somebody his age who's body is still developing and last season needed taking out of the firing line when he was clearly struggling.

My issue is with people who are writing him off when he's only 20 and still learning, just because he isn't good enough now. I don't know how clearer I can make my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back