2019/20 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's the one who should be getting the stick Delph strolled around midfield smoking a cigar with his sidewards backwards passing....no chance of getting booked - As he does not put a tackle in just a late lunge - Tom our one man midfield.......
Hope he starts at the weekend, he will go forward when the others go backwards, besides the way he tackles he is far more likely to hand out a few injuries then anyone else
He would deffo shine in a good side you're spot on Joey,,he's the only one who's trying to move the ball forward and he's getting slaughtered each time it doesn't come off, I remember this happening with Gravesen, he's also been capped at every level bar full for England so he's no donkey.
It annoys me that blues supporters just give him stick and don't get behind him, being a blue he''l be hurting when we lose..
I've seen this a lot, about him passing forwards and the others not. According to the official stats, he passed the ball forward 12 times yesterday, one less than Delph. At Newcastle he passed forward 23 times, one less than Sigurdsson. He didn't play against Burnley, so I looked at Arsenal and in that he played 14 forward passes, 3 less than Sigurdsson and 5 less than Delph. I'm not trying to have a go at him with that, just pointing out that it seems to be one of those things that people repeat as if it's a fact when it's actually not.

I've seen this a lot, about him passing forwards and the others not. According to the official stats, he passed the ball forward 12 times yesterday, one less than Delph. At Newcastle he passed forward 23 times, one less than Sigurdsson. He didn't play against Burnley, so I looked at Arsenal and in that he played 14 forward passes, 3 less than Sigurdsson and 5 less than Delph. I'm not trying to have a go at him with that, just pointing out that it seems to be one of those things that people repeat as if it's a fact when it's actually not.
No mention of workdays and tackles....by Davies ....

All the stuff his fans say he does are myths, you see people saying he doesn’t hide, puts more effort in than others and creates chances by playing 1-2s around the box all of which are untrue.

He’s an awful footballer and I really can’t see how people see otherwise.

Stats never tell you the full facts, you can adjust stats to suit your own arguments.

No mention of workdays and tackles....by Davies ....
As I said, I was only looking at the passing thing because I hear it a lot and it didn't ring true to me so I checked it. At your request i've just checked the same games for tackles and can report the following (stats don't include fouls):

City - Davies, Delph, and Sigurdsson all attempted one tackle
Newcastle - Sigurdsson attempted 4, Davies attempted 0
United - Delph 2, Sigurdsson 1, Davies 0.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that's not what you expected. Can't check workdays I'm afraid, because I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

I'm not getting involved in an argument mate, just respect I'm not a stat fan but I'm cool with it if you are, stat away
I'm not a 'stat fan' but when things are actually quantifiable I think it's reasonable to look at that data to see whether or not something is true. We're not talking about subjective xg or 'good chance' type of stuff here, it's a simple matter of whether the ball is travelling forward from somebody's boot or not. If you want to say 'he's the only one trying to move the ball forward' I feel like it's fair to point out that he isn't. But I totally respect that making stuff up is just as reliable as statistical evidence compiled by professionals, so lie away.

He's more vocal than 90% of our squad on the pitch and aside from when Coleman is on, should be given the armband more often.

He needs to be given the ability to push forward more often. I think we have yet to see him at his best.
Mate I respect your opinion I was thinking the same myself at the start of the season but I just don't think it's in him I don't think at this level he is good enough.

I'm not a 'stat fan' but when things are actually quantifiable I think it's reasonable to look at that data to see whether or not something is true. We're not talking about subjective xg or 'good chance' type of stuff here, it's a simple matter of whether the ball is travelling forward from somebody's boot or not. If you want to say 'he's the only one trying to move the ball forward' I feel like it's fair to point out that he isn't. But I totally respect that making stuff up is just as reliable as statistical evidence compiled by professionals, so lie away.
Where did I mention I was talking about that particular game?, If you want to get stats for all of his games fill your boots, are you going to get stats for all of his passes that don't come off as I'd stated, thanks for calling me a liar- noted

Where did I mention I was talking about that particular game?, If you want to get stats for all of his games fill your boots, are you going to get stats for all of his passes that don't come off as I'd stated, thanks for calling me a liar- noted
Noted. Haha. You going to get your Scottish buddy and call me names every time I post like you do to that Rangers fan in the sunday league thread? Can't wait.

All i'm saying is that you can't say somebody passes forward more than others and then say stats don't mean anything when it gets pointed out that they don't. As I said at the time, I was just presenting a factual comparison of something i'd checked to see if my eyes were playing tricks on me, not trying to suggest it meant he was rubbish. For that reason I'm not going to go and check all his games, no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back