Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
We should be careful not to overhype the lad. Since Rooney we've been here so many times since, Rodwell and Gosling bossing Liverpool in the cup derby, Jose Baxter with that goal in pre season, Vaughan was going to be the next big thing, Barkley was the next Gascoigne etc. Out of all of them only Barkley is still in the team and is still working on keeping his place let alone setting the prem on fire.

I hope Davies goes on to be better than all of them, but I will take him being a good first team option for us rather than bursting on the scene then ending up in division two in 3 years time like so many others have.

The first couple of years he definitely was, when we had that UEFA Cup run in 2007/08 we embraced him as a super sub. Around 2010 he started getting a bit of stick, but by that point he was genuine crap.

he also kicked up a fuss about a new contract and generally didnt look bothered on the pitch on the rare times he was available for selection.

No one is going to get on his back. Regardless of what some of our cry arses will tell you, our fans will be patient with an 18 year old kid that's played a handful of senior games.

Agreed... the amount of running he does means that even if he does have an off day or makes a mistake... the fans will see that he's still contributing and playing for the shirt..

The first couple of years he definitely was, when we had that UEFA Cup run in 2007/08 we embraced him as a super sub. Around 2010 he started getting a bit of stick, but by that point he was genuine crap.

To be fair to him he was used as a winger which was not the best use of his talents but as a front man had a bit of Emil Heskey about him as he could hold the ball up well but couldn't hit a cow's backside with a banjo hence the non existent goal ratio

The last midfielder like that I witnessed in a blue shirt was shades of the masterful Ball of Fire - all over the pitch - creative hard in the tackle for his size - his goal was sublime he finished it like his Uncle Alan Whittle -
high praise indeed to think he is 18 thats why I put him near Bally he did that week in week out so any youngster wanting to know what Alan Ball was like that was Davis yesterday, but he did it nearly every game, was so arrogant he could beat a man and sit on the ball, he made time as it meant nothing to him as he knew he was better than anyone as he was so quick, and fiery -
Tom Davis in his wonder goal slipped over, and got back up it was because he had the pace, to have that time - to run City ragged - I can only say it fetched back glimpses of the best box to box midfielder I ever seen in a Blue shirt - Alan Ball - Tom Davis came very close to him yesterday at such a young age - when I was young you went to see Ball , as you knew he was nearly always going to turn it on - early days , but this lad looks a gem!

Its great Joey, and the excitement about Davies is justified, but I wonder how you are comparing him to Alan Ball? The secret of Bally, and its a common opinion in football, is that he read the game consistently well, and did all the simple things like passing, control, and tackling/neutralising the opposition, consistently well, with hardly ever an error that cost his team at all. Davies certainly has abundant talent, and the dash and exuberance of youth, but lets not burden him with too much at this stage.

I have a solid record of being skeptical about every young lad we've ever had, but this chap has been giving me sexy dreams for the last few weeks. Barring injury, death or a premature move, this lad will be a great. No pressure, Tom.

The last midfielder like that I witnessed in a blue shirt was shades of the masterful Ball of Fire - all over the pitch - creative hard in the tackle for his size - his goal was sublime he finished it like his Uncle Alan Whittle -
high praise indeed to think he is 18 thats why I put him near Bally he did that week in week out so any youngster wanting to know what Alan Ball was like that was Davis yesterday, but he did it nearly every game, was so arrogant he could beat a man and sit on the ball, he made time as it meant nothing to him as he knew he was better than anyone as he was so quick, and fiery -
Tom Davis in his wonder goal slipped over, and got back up it was because he had the pace, to have that time - to run City ragged - I can only say it fetched back glimpses of the best box to box midfielder I ever seen in a Blue shirt - Alan Ball - Tom Davis came very close to him yesterday at such a young age - when I was young you went to see Ball , as you knew he was nearly always going to turn it on - early days , but this lad looks a gem!

Great post joe! How would you contrast and compare Kendall/Ball & Harvey mate?

I really hope this lad is the real thing. His energy and confidence is compelling and if he continues like this
we'll have someone special. And he's an Evertonian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back