Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surprised w're going for another young CB in Holgate, investing in a RB to replace Hibbert would surely have been a better way to spend money. Although obviously you can't have too many good players, just seems like the club aren't addressing our RB situation at all - if Coleman gets injured and Hibbert is still out we'll have no RBs.

Everyone at Everton think a lot of JonJoe Kenny.
I can see him being backup to Coleman next year

Centre half sorted? What an 18 year old, who's only ever played around 20 professional games for Barnsley. And we're expecting him to be our 3rd centre half. He's the same as Browning and Galloway, promising youngster but needs a year or two.

Jesus wept.

Nah mate, RM has delivered what he promised plus he's not Evans so everyone must be happy?

Playmaker - what about Henri Lansbury?

(Disclaimer...Mate i'm popcorning, don't go getting beefy with me :D)

Not seen a credible source for holgate.

Maybe he won't be for the first team, loan straight out or a few months with the u21s

Centre half sorted? What an 18 year old centre half/full back, who's only ever played around 20 professional games for Barnsley. And we're expecting him to be our 3rd centre half/right back. He's the same as Browning and Galloway, promising youngster but needs a year or two.

Jesus wept.
_57403578_motd3still.jpg

Aye... Kids... Bollox to 'em.. Never win anything now...​

my take on the Holgate rumour if true ....
first Roberto clearly has the goal of having a group of players who grow together and that the squad has consistency over a number of seasons (its pretty much a 4year + plan)

clev del and Holgate would be peanuts in spending , with lots of potential and lots of time together as they improve and learn. same with a lot of our young squad .. lukaku barkley McCarthy stones besic coleman browning Galloway mcaleny .

now , buying a Holgate wont be a sudden impact like van dijk for eg , but then again he doesn't need to be I guess. we do have a settled back 2 in jags and stones.

our transfer funds are limited .... lets say £20 million ... if we bought a £10 million defender , it leaves less for a playmaker. if we get Holgate as back up , it leaves a lot more money for a better quality playmaker who would go straight into the first 11.

It is for the way we play. We rely on pushing teams back so we don't get countered frequently and the opposition don't press us so high. That's the problem we have in playing one winger.

In fact, people say we play one winger - I'd argue we played none at Watford. I don't class Mirallas as one as he's an inside forward all day long in my eyes, and Cleverley is a central midfielder.

It's like you say, we don't necessarily need width, but we need pace on at least one side of the pitch.

Lennon also does a lot of work supporting Coleman - we generally looked much more stable with him in the side.

first Roberto clearly has the goal of having a group of players who grow together and that the squad has consistency over a number of seasons (its pretty much a 4year + plan)

clev del and Holgate would be peanuts in spending , with lots of potential and lots of time together as they improve and learn. same with a lot of our young squad .. lukaku barkley McCarthy stones besic coleman browning Galloway mcaleny .

now , buying a Holgate wont be a sudden impact like van dijk for eg , but then again he doesn't need to be I guess. we do have a settled back 2 in jags and stones.

our transfer funds are limited .... lets say £20 million ... if we bought a £10 million defender , it leaves less for a playmaker. if we get Holgate as back up , it leaves a lot more money for a better quality playmaker who would go straight into the first 11.

I get that but he also needs to ensure he's still here to watch them grow

I think it's an important strategy to plan for the future, and realistically the only option a club with little investment like ours has to develop the team, but it's a high risk strategy if you don't have a short term option to strengthen the team with players who can fit straight into the team.

Sky Sports reporting Southampton backed into 4/6 favourites to land Van Dijk. Many of you still not convinced hes the right man for between 10-15 mill but Ive seen him atleast ten times now and not just against sunday league teams like Partick Thistle and I think with a bit of improvement he can adapt easily to the english game and will be yet ANOTHER (Shaqiri, Payet etc) transfer target we have lost out to.
I am as optimistic as it gets but this window is really doing my head in now.

Wasn't the whole point that RM said he wanted someone with experience to come straight in ready at that position, just incase of any injuries. Doesn't seem much point buying someone with no experience unless like u say we are thinking for the future or maybe we are doing a Chelsea and buying up the future home grown talent so we can sell in and make a profit when they come good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back