Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lennon also does a lot of work supporting Coleman - we generally looked much more stable with him in the side.
plus, with Lennon actually doing the covering work that position is supposed to be doing it frees up McCarthy to get forward again like he was doing towards the end of last season. We just look a lot less safely/defensive down that right hand side and a lot more forward focussed

Should this all prove true, I'd have to give the club credit for going out and getting Holgate. It may seem like a nothing signing, but, given their inability to land an experienced centre-half this summer, planning ahead so they don't get caught in this position in the future is quite possibly the smartest thing they can do.

Everyone is worried that we haven't bought any players, I'm also worried that we haven't sold any of the deadwood.

This has bugged me too. Not so much that they haven't sold the deadwood this summer (considering they're all out injured), but more that they allowed so much deadwood to accumulate in the first place. Foresight is a privilege to an extent, but this regime seems especially committed to the past. It's odd.

I still think we need a left winger I personally want Ivan Perisic. Can't believe we weren't in for that Konoplankya who went to Selliva on a free.

I get that but he also needs to ensure he's still here to watch them grow

I think it's an important strategy to plan for the future, and realistically the only option a club with little investment like ours has to develop the team, but it's a high risk strategy if you don't have a short term option to strengthen the team with players who can fit straight into the team.

well a lot of that youth does already fit into the first 11 .
we have our seniors ... howard hibbert jags baines barry Osman pienarr Gibson mcgeady mirallas Naismith kone

now atleast 3 of them have been injury ravaged
2 haven't shown they are good enough
and age has certainly caught or catching up with 5 of them

id say 2 need selling on , 2 need to get fit and say fit and another 4 need replacing pretty damn soon.

so yea the youth policy is a good one , but time isn't on our side regarding a big chunck of the seniors.

Everyone is worried that we haven't bought any players, I'm also worried that we haven't sold any of the deadwood.

....3 aspects to a deal. The current club want to sell, another club wants to buy and the player wants to go. Take Kone for example - we might be willing to sell but even if a club is willing to take a risk with his injury record the player might not want a wage reduction with the prospect of a Bosman around the corner.

It's not always easy to move players on.

Wasn't the whole point that RM said he wanted someone with experience to come straight in ready at that position, just incase of any injuries. Doesn't seem much point buying someone with no experience unless like u say we are thinking for the future or maybe we are doing a Chelsea and buying up the future home grown talent so we can sell in and make a profit when they come good

I think buying or producing through the academy these young quality players is a win win win situation.
little risk in cost , they can get that good that we become a decent team , or we can sell them at a decent cost to buy a decent team.

the massive gamble though is probably the most important thing .... they have to be good enough to compete in the premiership 'now' at a decnt enough level ... if they can do that , I'm fine giving them a few years to improve and move up the table.

This has bugged me too. Not so much that they haven't sold the deadwood this summer (considering they're all out injured), but more that they allowed so much deadwood to accumulate in the first place. Foresight is a privilege to an extent, but this regime seems especially committed to the past. It's odd.

Who would you class as deadwood? Just asking your opinion here...

So Holgate comes in per say, next year that gives us

Stones
Browning
Garbutt
Kenny
Holgate
Galloway
Pennington

Now lets say Stones goes that is still a lot of 19-22 year olds all after the same place in the squad

well a lot of that youth does already fit into the first 11 .
we have our seniors ... howard hibbert jags baines barry Osman pienarr Gibson mcgeady mirallas Naismith kone

now atleast 3 of them have been injury ravaged
2 haven't shown they are good enough
and age has certainly caught or catching up with 5 of them

id say 2 need selling on , 2 need to get fit and say fit and another 4 need replacing pretty damn soon.

so yea the youth policy is a good one , but time isn't on our side regarding a big chunck of the seniors.

all of those listed will be gone within two years i'd say (possibly not Kev, Baines + Jags depending on how it goes), most next Summer. We do need some squad depth and at the moment they are only costing us wages (we'd have to sign someone else). Bobby is desperately trying to renew the team, he just needs bodies around to fill/cover the positions he's not been able to do yet.
With the probable exception of Kev, Baines and perhaps again Jags, none of those players would bring in enough to pay for their replacement if you could move them on.

I still think we need a left winger I personally want Ivan Perisic. Can't believe we weren't in for that Konoplankya who went to Selliva on a free.
It wasn't really a free though. I read somewhere that once all was said and done with this player, whoever signed him, would be splashing out between 15-18 million. I can't remember the ins and outs of the deal but i just know it wasn't free.

I would also say with Holgate - more money for quality 'number 10' in the first 11 - we have a better link between midfield and attack -barkley moves back - barkley gets more space to play his natural game - we play 1 holding defender instead of 2 - barry drops out and is used as a cb,lb and cdm cover. results all over the shop

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back