Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
but in 2 years some of our more youthful will be seniors (garbutt Galloway browning Holgate etc will be 2 years further into there development too) and would have had 4 or 5 years playing as a consistant unit. then we carry on the policy of getting/training up youth to come in behind (oo matron).

granted though, I think next seaon will be a very big important transfer window in terms of some of the older players and who we get in or wether we risk holding them until our younger players mature (that's probably the case to a slightly lesser extent this season)
but exactly, our current 'Deadwood' are stop gaps for the new breed coming through.
we need a squad with some experience in it, some of these are on their way out yes, but even if they don't play every week they are actually doing a job. They mean we don't have to sign anyone else for that position at the moment.

So Holgate comes in per say, next year that gives us

Stones
Browning
Garbutt
Kenny
Holgate
Galloway
Pennington

Now lets say Stones goes that is still a lot of 19-22 year olds all after the same place in the squad

Kenny is a right back and Garbutt is a left back. If Stones left we'd have Browning, Galloway, Holgate and Pennington trying to get 1/2 CB places, although Holgate can actually play both RB and CB (I think he might be a CB first though). Realistically though they won't all be a good enough standard to be in our first team next year.

Sky Sports reporting Southampton backed into 4/6 favourites to land Van Dijk. Many of you still not convinced hes the right man for between 10-15 mill but Ive seen him atleast ten times now and not just against sunday league teams like Partick Thistle and I think with a bit of improvement he can adapt easily to the english game and will be yet ANOTHER (Shaqiri, Payet etc) transfer target we have lost out to.
I am as optimistic as it gets but this window is really doing my head in now.

You dont know who our transfer targets are. The ONLY player we have evidence of being involved with was Ogbonna, whom thanked us for being very welcoming. That's it, there is no evidence to suggest to we have been beaten to anyone else. The same papers who said we were after Shaqiri also said weeks ago that we were unsure on him due to character.

SOUGHT-after Barnsley starlet Mason Holgate’s move to Cherries is understood to have hit the buffers with Premier League rivals Everton now his likely destination.

Cherries were thought to have had a £500,000 bid for the 18-year-old defender accepted by the League One Tykes but the Toffees, who signed man-of-the-moment John Stones from Barnsley in January 2013, have moved into pole position.

Share article

Having made 22 appearances during his breakthrough campaign last season, Doncaster-born Holgate trained with Manchester United during pre-season and has reportedly been the subject of interest from Aston Villa and Swansea City.

He was left out of the Barnsley squad for Saturday’s 3-1 defeat at Chesterfield and did not feature in Tuesday’s League Cup clash at Scunthorp

Who would you class as deadwood? Just asking your opinion here...

Let's start at the top and define deadwood as a player who can not be counted on as a productive member of the squad.

Hibbert, Pienaar and Gibson just can't stay healthy. McGeady has done nothing to indicate he's good enough for the PL at this point in his career.

Sane arguments can be made for Oviedo (health), Kone (health, performance) and Howard (desire, recent performance) although that's a bit harsh on all three.

I'm not saying it's easy to get rid of and replace these players, but it's also not impossible to shift two or three before it's too late.

What happens going forward? Does Osman get extended, and will Naismith stay on through the end of his contract? The club's not been great about those decisions, but they are important things to get right.

but exactly, our current 'Deadwood' are stop gaps for the new breed coming through.
we need a squad with some experience in it, some of these are on their way out yes, but even if they don't play every week they are actually doing a job. They mean we don't have to sign anyone else for that position at the moment.

totally agree. we certainly need that playmaker , thats a place we have no one. but with the 'dead wood' I think we have youth options or youth coming through in all there positions apart from wide men and strikers ? mirallas potentially could be here 3+ years , then we have del ..... so I think this needs to be addressed to the tune of atleast 2 or 3 more in the next season or 2.

edit # and lukaku for a few more years

SOUGHT-after Barnsley starlet Mason Holgate’s move to Cherries is understood to have hit the buffers with Premier League rivals Everton now his likely destination.

Cherries were thought to have had a £500,000 bid for the 18-year-old defender accepted by the League One Tykes but the Toffees, who signed man-of-the-moment John Stones from Barnsley in January 2013, have moved into pole position.

Share article

Having made 22 appearances during his breakthrough campaign last season, Doncaster-born Holgate trained with Manchester United during pre-season and has reportedly been the subject of interest from Aston Villa and Swansea City.

He was left out of the Barnsley squad for Saturday’s 3-1 defeat at Chesterfield and did not feature in Tuesday’s League Cup clash at Scunthorp

HAHAHA you can just see Bill on the phone to Barnsley.
Sell us Holgate at a discount or we'll sell Stones now and your cut of that will be much smaller that it would be next Summer.

Go'on Bill, in there playing Hardball....

We. Need. Creativity. First. And. Foremost.

I was reading some blog the other day that highlighted the conversion rate of "elite" strikers was only actually about 1 or 2% higher than any other players in the league. It is just that they generally played in teams that created vastly more chances. It concluded by saying teams should invest more in players who can create chances rather than strikers to finish them.

If you look at the number of chances we create we are vastly down on Moyes' last season in charge (something like 4 chances fewer a match), even in RM's first season we actually had quite a big drop off in chance creation and last season it was even lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back