Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading some blog the other day that highlighted the conversion rate of "elite" strikers was only actually about 1 or 2% higher than any other players in the league. It is just that they generally played in teams that created vastly more chances. It concluded by saying teams should invest more in players who can create chances rather than strikers to finish them.

If you look at the number of chances we create we are vastly down on Moyes' last season in charge (something like 4 chances fewer a match), even in RM's first season we actually had quite a big drop off in chance creation and last season it was even lower.
Gotta agree with that. Every half-decent striker will be able to slot chances, should they be created for him. See: Jelavic.

Interesting.

Oh well, no one lies on the internet and you seem like a lad who clearly has insider information.

All I know, is that Cleverley has tried to convince him to come here, has spoken in glowing terms to his close friends about Everton and is genuinely enjoying his time here. He wants a mate of his to have a bit of that. Not really something that needs to be lied about is it?

Desperately need a marquee signing to win the fans back.
Should this all prove true, I'd have to give the club credit for going out and getting Holgate. It may seem like a nothing signing, but, given their inability to land an experienced centre-half this summer, planning ahead so they don't get caught in this position in the future is quite possibly the smartest thing they can do.

True. Why go out and pay £10m for an experienced centre half, when you can buy one for under £1m and he can sit in the under 21's all year.

Know nothing about him, but i he's the only centre half we signed this summer it would be a disaster.

dead wood .... the only dead wood really is hibbert. ages , unfit , we already have better options imo. Osman too to a lesser extent than hibbert in terms of fitness , but surely cleverly and mcaleny are the natural replacements for him ?

Gibson and peinaar are class players if they can stay fit.

then Naismith mcgeady and kone .... they are not 'dead wood' , because we haven't got anyone else/better to replace them.

imo hibbert and Osman should be given youth team coaching roles at the end of their current contracts.
mcgeady kone and Naismith need until January/end of the season to show they deserve a squad place. if they don't , we sell and replace with better.

then theres howard , again not dead wood .... but a replacement will have to be looked at pretty damn soon.

Gotta agree with that. Every half-decent striker will be able to slot chances, should they be created for him. See: Jelavic.

Yeah when Javic was slotting he had Gibson Pienaar Osman and Mirallas giving him genuine good chances. Lukaku got ten last season from absolute scraps. Even 13/14 Roberto's good first season. Look how many goals were solo goals, direct free kicks, or wonder goals. 07/08, and calendar year of 2012 is probably the most creative we've been as a footballing side.

Thomas Vermaelen on loan anyone with a view to buy when Stones leaves next summer (Hopefully)?

Be well stocked up on young defenders if Holgate signs

Not even a dodgy rumour about us today signing someone, even the journo's have given up on us :)

True. Why go out and pay £10m for an experienced centre half, when you can buy one for under £1m and he can sit in the under 21's all year.

Know nothing about him, but i he's the only centre half we signed this summer it would be a disaster.

And then Jags say breaks a leg, then what? We're then playing this young lad who is not ready for prem league football and we're up the creek. It's a squad game more then ever, and we're about as thin as my penis...which is quite thin.

I think you missed my point (or I did a poor job of making my point clear).

The club are finding out this summer that obtaining an experienced centre-half is both expensive and not a lot of fun. By adding players like Holgate, they're at least giving themselves a chance of not having to go through this process again in three or four years.

A veteran defender is still required this summer.

All I know, is that Cleverley has tried to convince him to come here, has spoken in glowing terms to his close friends about Everton and is genuinely enjoying his time here. He wants a mate of his to have a bit of that. Not really something that needs to be lied about is it?

lollol

Let's start at the top and define deadwood as a player who can not be counted on as a productive member of the squad.

Hibbert, Pienaar and Gibson just can't stay healthy. McGeady has done nothing to indicate he's good enough for the PL at this point in his career.

Sane arguments can be made for Oviedo (health), Kone (health, performance) and Howard (desire, recent performance) although that's a bit harsh on all three.

I'm not saying it's easy to get rid of and replace these players, but it's also not impossible to shift two or three before it's too late.

What happens going forward? Does Osman get extended, and will Naismith stay on through the end of his contract? The club's not been great about those decisions, but they are important things to get right.

There's a lot to be said for the benefit senior players bring to the squad irrespective of their output on the field.

Hibbert falls into the bracket perfectly, wonderful servant to the club; happily sat back when Coleman broke through and will retire an Everton player at the end of his contract. May even coach.

Osman divides opinon, but similar sentiment applies. Personally I feel he's always been undervalued on the field and offers a skill set no-one else at the club has presently. Again would expect him to remain at the club until he decides to pack up or he wants to go.

Gibson is injured. That's unfortunate. Look at the positive impact he had on the side in the handful of games he played last season. We could sell him, but who else is going to pay his wages whilst he can't play? No-one; so he should stay until January at the least. If he's fit at that point and can be moved on then the club could consider it - as someone would take him. I'd keep him though, his passing is better than all of our other midfielder options.

Pienaar. See above. He's possibly spent now unfortunately, though I'd love for him to prove me wrong. He's the one piece of the jigsaw we haven't been able to replace and it hurts us. Still if injured, he's going nowhere.

Howard. If he was going, he'd be playing in the MLS now. He's clearly Martinez' first choice keeper at present, but we should be grateful that he has some real competition. Bear in mind that Robles took his chance at Wigan though the poor form of El Habsi, if Howard fails to deliver again we have good cover.

The market for players of this ilk is limited. They're well paid and will be happy to sit on their contracts until they can leave on a Bosman and supplement the drop in earnings with a tidy signing on fee. Whether the club decide to release them or not is a different matter - they do tend to reward loyalty at Goodison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back