Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we've moved into a different period now though. To be getting not much revenue and allowing the manager of the day a proportion of that (and that manager doing well with it) will get positive media attention. It wasn't so much Kenwright's spin and media charm that sealed the deal with the media it was the fact that there really wasn't a lot of revenue coming into the club (their fault of course) and we were getting results with it and it looked like good housekeeping. Now we're looking at something different: a massive wave of cash that's been thrown at Everton and seems to be getting witheld. The media are already sniffing around this and Kenwright sounds like a man not able to carry the fight to the media anymore.

I suppose this is what makes the Stones sale so important. It will allow them to spend 20 million, on 3 players and claim investment. They can then start manipulating figures to make it look like we are spending more. A bit like when Elstone tried to claim we spent all of the Lescott money (despite it being about 6 million short). No doubt people will start trying to factor in "wage rises" or "agents fees" as a justification.

Unfrtounately for you (and I) I think the anger will be turned on the manager. Kenwright will hang them out to dry just enough to take the flack. He honed this strategy with Moyes.

Yes the idiots who labelled Moyes a ditherer must feel rather stupid now. Or is it coincidence that we just attract the two dithering managers consecutively who refuse to spend the pot of gold they are given.

This is probably Martinez's challenge. What worries me, is given how precarious his job may be in two months time, given our awful fixtures, and some discontent from below of the fans it will be very easy for him to appease the board above him. I have a sneaky feeling Martinez will go for this.

As for signings. I put it earlier I can see a mad re run of two years ago. Stones out, Evans loaned in and Austin waiting in a car to be signed for 15 million when he does. Possibly Lennon too. Where the additional 10 million goes is anyones guess and will be forgotten about. We also have no creative number 10.

Two years ago that approach worked. We touched lucky with Barry in that we got a good season out of him. Even luckier with Lukaku as we had a very good player available for loan (can you see another Lukaku being available) and Martinez could pull in favours to get McCarthy. That was luck though, no a modus operandi for how to conduct transfers.

After Lennon, Austin and Evans come in, Martinez will be trotted out to say we've got our 3 playes=rs, spent what we brought in, Bill loves Everton etc. He'll have learnt his place in the heirarchy and will enjoy the same protection Moyes had.

Yes, the common denominator is our board. That's where the dithering is happening and that's why Martinez is appearing on Sky, complaining that the window should end when/before the season starts - to save him from his own board.

Yes, the common denominator is our board. That's where the dithering is happening and that's why Martinez is appearing on Sky, complaining that the window should end when/before the season starts. - to save him from his own board.

How do you mean mate?
And I suppose to make it relevant what impact do you think it might have on signings?

The question is mate, will there be a sustained period of examination of the board and the lack of action from them?

We have little spurts where it looks like a bit of momentum is taking place but then nothing again. I would say the sale of Stones and not reinvesting the money, or not purchase g these 3 so called players we need would turn the screw on the board. In fact it's only the performances ( or lack of ) on the pitch that really starts getting people to look what's going on off the pitch.
I agree. It can be as fleeting as a week of scrutiny (even if Stones is sold and little is spent) if the results start to go our way again.

If we falter again this season though it may get very interesting. I dont get the impression that Everton is a confident organisation at the moment or has a natural figurehead. Roberto's performance last season means he's under scrutiny; Kenwright doesn't look up to it now. The media sniff out that sort of power vacuum and press and press when the results are bad.

I think the Kenwright era was synonymous with Moyes.

If he can't get the players he needs or wants and he won't resign on a point of principle then why doesn't he change the tactics to suit the players he has got.
Maybe he will if he doesn't get them in. He'll certainly have to look at stuff like playing Barkley further back and playing two up - if he's been taking any notice of pre-season and Saturday's game against Watford.

After Lennon, Austin and Evans come in, Martinez will be trotted out to say we've got our 3 playes=rs, spent what we brought in, Bill loves Everton etc. He'll have learnt his place in the heirarchy and will enjoy the same protection Moyes had.

If Lennon and Austin came on permanent deals as you ( I think ) are suggesting and Evans on a loan without any significant outgoings then we'll have spent roughly 19 million on those two. Throw in the money spent on Deulofeu and, possibly, Holgate thst wouldn't be far short of 25 million.

There's a poll at https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/how-much-will-martinez-spend.77864/ where most of us ( myself includec ) said we thought he'd spend less than 20 million. If he does end up spending more than 20 million then I think Martinez sinks or swims on the back of those signing

Edit : My mistake, you're assuming Stones will be sold

How do you mean mate?
And I suppose to make it relevant what impact do you think it might have on signings?

Like you suggested mate, it's probably no coincidence that our two latest managers have displayed dithering qualities, maybe it is actually the employers that they had in common and the financial constraints of those employers that is forcing the dithering. That's why we end up doing business late in the window to try and squeeze out a deal and why Martinez wants the window to end before the season starts so he doesn't get set up to fail by his employer.

All my humble opinion of course. And to make it relevant, that's why I would be surprised to anything but a smattering of loans, youths and Aaron Lennons.

Yes the idiots who labelled Moyes a ditherer must feel rather stupid now. Or is it coincidence that we just attract the two dithering managers consecutively who refuse to spend the pot of gold they are given.

This is probably Martinez's challenge. What worries me, is given how precarious his job may be in two months time, given our awful fixtures, and some discontent from below of the fans it will be very easy for him to appease the board above him. I have a sneaky feeling Martinez will go for this.

As for signings. I put it earlier I can see a mad re run of two years ago. Stones out, Evans loaned in and Austin waiting in a car to be signed for 15 million when he does. Possibly Lennon too. Where the additional 10 million goes is anyones guess and will be forgotten about. We also have no creative number 10.

Two years ago that approach worked. We touched lucky with Barry in that we got a good season out of him. Even luckier with Lukaku as we had a very good player available for loan (can you see another Lukaku being available) and Martinez could pull in favours to get McCarthy. That was luck though, no a modus operandi for how to conduct transfers.

If Martinez plays ball with the board he'll keep his job regardless of any mid-table position. That's all they require and to get rid of that would be a roll of the dice they can ill afford.

I think the rest of the window will pan out almost exactly as you describe.

Again please tell me where he has said he now only wants 2?

I think he said "a couple" in a recent interview. People have to bear in mind English is his second language. It's hardly cast iron proof.

I think our big problem, is we do not know what we can spend. If we keep Stones we are looking at Holgate, Evans, Lennon on loan. If we sell Stones we cold be looking at Van Dijk, Austin and Shaquiri/Praet/Nolito etc.

That is a very hard scenario to navigate. Our preparations are ballsed up by lack of forward planning and late into August Martinez still not being given clear assurances of a budget. This is my summation anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back