Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Lennon and Austin came on permanent deals as you ( I think ) are suggesting and Evans on a loan without any significant outgoings then we'll have spent roughly 19 million on those two. Throw in the money spent on Deulofeu and, possibly, Holgate thst wouldn't be far short of 25 million.

There's a poll at https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/how-much-will-martinez-spend.77864/ where most of us ( myself includec ) said we thought he'd spend less than 20 million. If he does end up spending more than 20 million then I think Martinez sinks or swims on the back of those signing

Edit : My mistake, you're assuming Stones will be sold

I'd honestly rather see £15m+ going on a playmaker, and not getting centre back or striker cover. The tactics he uses makes it the most important position on the pitch, and it would make us infinitely more bearable to watch after the dirge of last year.

If Martinez plays ball with the board he'll keep his job regardless of any mid-table position. That's all they require and to get rid of that would be a roll of the dice they can ill afford.

I think the rest of the window will pan out almost exactly as you describe.

I think two years ago he'd have hard balled it more for better signings/more money. He was in a position of strength. Kenwright had to make the appointment work and opened up the purse strings a bit. I think Martinez has assumed thats how it would always work.

He is in a weak position now. So lets see. As I've said to make it relevant, my summation is we will end up with Evans, an Austin type player and possibly Lennon. It will be done late on. Lack of time will mean we can't get more in.

There is a lot of frustration about. I don't think it's down to Martinez not knowing what we need to us not signing people. Oh and I think Holgate will be a great signing and develop well under Martinez.

I'd honestly rather see £15m+ going on a playmaker, and not getting centre back or striker cover. The tactics he uses makes it the most important position on the pitch, and it would make us infinitely more bearable to watch after the dirge of last year.

We all would. However at this late stage of the window I think that type of player will be hard to find. At best we may get Praet.

I think two years ago he'd have hard balled it more for better signings/more money. He was in a position of strength. Kenwright had to make the appointment work and opened up the purse strings a bit. I think Martinez has assumed thats how it would always work.

He is in a weak position now. So lets see. As I've said to make it relevant, my summation is we will end up with Evans, an Austin type player and possibly Lennon. It will be done late on. Lack of time will mean we can't get more in.

There is a lot of frustration about. I don't think it's down to Martinez not knowing what we need to us not signing people. Oh and I think Holgate will be a great signing and develop well under Martinez.

I'm sure you're right. The beauty of keeping a wounded Martinez on (not that he should have been sacked for 11th place like) was that they knew many supporters would mutter about whether it's wise to give RM a lot of cash and half their work was done for them in hanging onto it.

The owners know all the dog whistles with Evertonians.

Like you suggested mate, it's probably no coincidence that our two latest managers have displayed dithering qualities, maybe it is actually the employers that they had in common and the financial constraints of those employers that is forcing the dithering. That's why we end up doing business late in the window to try and squeeze out a deal and why Martinez wants the window to end before the season starts so he doesn't get set up to fail by his employer.

All my humble opinion of course. And to make it relevant, that's why I would be surprised to anything but a smattering of loans, youths and Aaron Lennons.

Yes just my opinion as well. I had long since suspected that Kenwright spins a web of deceit and half information to managers. Martinez and Moyes in different ways were both quite clinical. Listen to how Martinez talks of say "a number 8" or "a number 6". He knows what he wants from each position, and what level of squad depth he needs in each position. These are not Harry Redknap figures who will take someone from left field if they wee "a bit of a bargain".

Moyes was also very clinical and wanted particular types of players. I think both probably laid out plans and had them undermined by Kenwright not delivering on what they had promised. The last two years Martinez's stock has been high, so Kenwright has done more to accommodate him. This year he knows he doesn't have too.

Moyes just got worn down by it all. I think he gave up and refused to really engage in the windows as he didn't know where he stood.

So yes, in answer to the accusations to Martinez, it's the uncertainty that is underpinning our lack of transfer activity, not his stupidity.

I'm sure you're right. The beauty of keeping a wounded Martinez on (not that he should have been sacked for 11th place like) was that they knew many supporters would mutter about whether it's wise to give RM a lot of cash and half their work was done for them in hanging onto it.

The owners know all the dog whistles with Evertonians.

It's why Moyes's job was never in doubt too. And why with most managers when it went stale and they come under more pressure, these managers become more valuable to the board. They deflect much of the anger. The more people who think we don't win the league because Moyes won't play 2 up front, or Martinez is "tippy tappy" the better.

He is disposable now. Which makes him weak and more likely to accept the transfer window we're having uncritically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back