Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
More people will pay and those people will pay more to watch a more successful team. Even if he does fire us into the champions league then the extra money won't be able to keep up with the wages and transfer demands of a team in the champions league. The stadium will give us the foundation to build in a sustainable way.

thought you werent responding? lol

i would call the past 12 years or so at the club pretty succesful considering the financial restraints. ok we didnt win anything but we were best of the rest, with the ones above us throwing the cash around.

I am not writing a stadium off, i am saying, probably for like the 5th time, WE CAN'T SELL OUR SEASON TICKETS NOW SO WHY YOU DO THINK CHARGING MORE FOR THEM AND HAVING MORE TO SELL WILL MAKE ANY SORT OF DIFFERENCE TO OUR CURRENT STANDINGS?!

u think you assume that we build a new gorund and overnight we will win the league and loads of trophies and have fans rushing to see us in droves. Truth be tol if we follow your thoughts we will end up with a poor youthful team.

AND

if we are dropping leagues places to put the money in the stadium less fans will be commiting to the [Poor language removed] football on show so even less season tickets will sell so it will generate less money. Less money means less inyto the team so we drop places and before long we go down

If he plays off the striker then that is pretty much the playmaker role.

Otherwise he'll be playing as a Pienaar/Osman type on the left, you'd imagine, to allow for an overlapping LB. Has he done that before? It might work out brilliantly but I have my doubts.
I think you're right about the Pienaar / Osman role. If memory serves, he did a similar job on the right for Villa.

ha i didnt explain that one properly - in the context of us looking for a reasonably priced playmaker, Palace have just signed a proven premier league one
Cabaye is a good player but his attitude but I wouldn't want us paying that much for a 30yr old to be honest. His attitude stinks too.

Fair point but if we are going to sign a goalkeeper I don't want an Arsenal reserve.
After all he is available because Arsenal think he is not good enough for them.
Have we set our goalkeeping standard at that level. It's not as if Ospina a youngster at the very start of his career, he carries a fair level of experience.
I would prefer to play Robles.
Not really fair considering Cech is still one of the best keepers in the world.

Fair point but if we are going to sign a goalkeeper I don't want an Arsenal reserve.
After all he is available because Arsenal think he is not good enough for them.
Have we set our goalkeeping standard at that level. It's not as if Ospina a youngster at the very start of his career, he carries a fair level of experience.
I would prefer to play Robles.

Well we currently have a Keeper deemed not worthy of United, so why not an Arsenal reject as well.

When you take rejects from clubs above you in the league its not the end of the world, when you take rejects from relegated teams, thats when the problems happen, yes Arouna, im talking about you.

Is a playmaker going to help us stay games during when our goal is being battered by the opposition?
Is a playmaker going to have shear moments of brilliance when the opposition is about to score?
Is a playmaker going to make up for all of the goals we conceded this season?
Is a playmaker going to stop Howard losing unnecessary points?

Since Martinez has taken over these are the attacking players we've signed:

Kone- 5m
McGeady - 1m
Lukaku - 28m
Del - 4m

We have also signed Eto and Henen for no/small fees, loaned Del and Lukaku for a season prior to purchasing and loaned Atsu and Lennon aswell. That's over 40m spent on attacking styled players.

Midfielders we've signed:

McCarthy - 13m
Besic - 4m
Barry - Loan/Free
Cleverly - free

It'll end up being about 20m on midfielders we've signed:

Defenders and Goalkeepers signed:

Robles: 2m
Alacarz - free
Galloway - 2m

That'll end up being around 5m on defenders and keepers, not one of those is a first choice player, probably no more than 20 league starts between the three of them.

I do get that when Martinez took over it was our attack that needed a lot money, this isn't against those attacking players but now it's the defensive part of the game that needs attention and money spent.

Last season we conceded 50 goals, compared to 39 the season before and the 40 goals conceded in both of Moyes last two seasons at the club. It was the first time we had conceded 50 or more goals in a season since the 2003/2004 season. The defensive side of our game last season was very, very poor. Yes we play a much more attacking style under Martinez and I do understand that those tactics may result in us conceding the extra odd goal or two but we used the same tactics the season before last and we only conceded 39 goals.

Howard had his worst season at club and only declined more as the season went on, he's not at the stage of his career where we'll see him improving. Distin (also had his worst season at the club) and Alcaraz didn't do anything and have now both left the club and Hibbert is never fit leaving us with no proper cover for Coleman. How this is constantly being overly looked for a flashy number 10 is honestly beyond me. I honestly agree we need a creative playermaker, we really do lack that pure creative spark to bring others into the game and I have said it various times in the transfer threads but you're crazy if you think it's our biggest priority. I just hope Martinez is thinking the same way!

Sincerely, great response.

In my mind though, thinking back to the season before last, the reason we were so sound at the back was because we were in control of the games and were creative and clinical in the final third. Teams were worried about us, and as a possession based side, chances against us were limited.

We play a pretty kamikazee formation anyway, with a block of four players (2 CB's and 2 holding midfielders) responsible for slowing/stopping counter attacks. To say that by bringing in a GK or a CB will suddenly make us less vulnerable is wrong imo, because the formation will always stay the same.

Also, I am certainly not saying Howard had a good season last year and, in light of his age, he definitely needs to be on the list of players needing replacing. However, my point is that, even last season, I dont remember us being under the cosh for long periods against many teams at all. I think in the main the majority of teams in this league are concerned with stopping us rather than going toe-to-toe. Against these teams last season, just in my opinion, the major problem we had was that we should have been home and dry with or without Howard's mistakes. No team is going to come to Goodison and not have any chances, and when we concede chances I agree that Howard must do better and a replacement should be being looked for.

You can't say though, i dont believe, that we wouldn't have absolutely 'murdered' teams had we had someone who can thread the ball through the eye of a needle, or could receive the ball in the middle of a packed final third, not panic, and intelligently create an opening.

we need both, but the whole league found out last season how to stop Everton scoring. Going into a new season without a player able to remedy that leaves us in a very difficult position.

Aiden McGeady will miss Everton’s friendly at Swindon with a hamstring injury.

The problem will also keep the Republic of Ireland winger out of the Blues trip to Singapore next week.

Earlier this week it was confirmed that Leighton Baines, Bryan Oviedo and Darron Gibson would remain on Merseyside to continue their rehab.

Manager Roberto Martinez told evertontv: “Aiden has been suffering from a hamstring problem that affected him last season and it affected him when he was with the national team.

“We need to get down to the root of the problem and make sure that he gets pain free.”

Sake.

Aiden McGeady will miss Everton’s friendly at Swindon with a hamstring injury.

The problem will also keep the Republic of Ireland winger out of the Blues trip to Singapore next week.

Earlier this week it was confirmed that Leighton Baines, Bryan Oviedo and Darron Gibson would remain on Merseyside to continue their rehab.

Manager Roberto Martinez told evertontv: “Aiden has been suffering from a hamstring problem that affected him last season and it affected him when he was with the national team.

“We need to get down to the root of the problem and make sure that he gets pain free.”

Sake.

Please be El fraudo code for 'going to west brom'.

thought you werent responding? lol

i would call the past 12 years or so at the club pretty succesful considering the financial restraints. ok we didnt win anything but we were best of the rest, with the ones above us throwing the cash around.

I am not writing a stadium off, i am saying, probably for like the 5th time, WE CAN'T SELL OUR SEASON TICKETS NOW SO WHY YOU DO THINK CHARGING MORE FOR THEM AND HAVING MORE TO SELL WILL MAKE ANY SORT OF DIFFERENCE TO OUR CURRENT STANDINGS?!

u think you assume that we build a new gorund and overnight we will win the league and loads of trophies and have fans rushing to see us in droves. Truth be tol if we follow your thoughts we will end up with a poor youthful team.

AND

if we are dropping leagues places to put the money in the stadium less fans will be commiting to the [Poor language removed] football on show so even less season tickets will sell so it will generate less money. Less money means less inyto the team so we drop places and before long we go down
I can't help myself. :confused:

OK I will try and answer this question. It won't happen overnight. What will happen is that team will mostly stay the same quality if not personnel but will generally get older so the fans currently can still enjoy the football then once we move into the new stadium the ticket prices might even be reduced to attract new fans to come. Even with this reduced price we will still bring in more money due to size and corporate spending. This increase in revenue will then be used to strengthen the team. This will allow us to become more successful hopefully which will fuel a greater demand in the tickets driving prices and revenue up giving more money for the squad.

Now that's the theory. Unfortunately with West Ham, Liverpool and Spurs also all building stadiums in reality it probably will just allow us to keep in touch with them but overall what will happen is those teams will get closer to the current top 4 and make the league more competitive and unpredictable.

The alternative is to invest heavily now with the TV money. Money that still doesn't allow us to compete with the likes of Arsenal, City, Chelsea and Man U who can spend 50m on one player which means even with that investment realistically unless one of those 4 has a poor season we will have a few top 5 finishes over the short term and maybe a pot. However once Liverpool and Spurs have built their stadium and West Ham have strengthened their squad (which has begun) their spending power will leave us in their dust and catching them from that point will be as hard as it is currently to break into the top 4.

Take your pick. But depending on the choice now it's more than probable that these are the two scenarios that will play out.

I can't help myself. :confused:

OK I will try and answer this question. It won't happen overnight. What will happen is that team will mostly stay the same quality if not personnel but will generally get older so the fans currently can still enjoy the football then once we move into the new stadium the ticket prices might even be reduced to attract new fans to come. Even with this reduced price we will still bring in more money due to size and corporate spending. This increase in revenue will then be used to strengthen the team. This will allow us to become more successful hopefully which will fuel a greater demand in the tickets driving prices and revenue up giving more money for the squad.

Now that's the theory. Unfortunately with West Ham, Liverpool and Spurs also all building stadiums in reality it probably will just allow us to keep in touch with them but overall what will happen is those teams will get closer to the current top 4 and make the league more competitive and unpredictable.

The alternative is to invest heavily now with the TV money. Money that still doesn't allow us to compete with the likes of Arsenal, City, Chelsea and Man U who can spend 50m on one player which means even with that investment realistically unless one of those 4 has a poor season we will have a few top 5 finishes over the short term and maybe a pot. However once Liverpool and Spurs have built their stadium and West Ham have strengthened their squad (which has begun) their spending power will leave us in their dust and catching them from that point will be as hard as it is currently to break into the top 4.

Take your pick. But depending on the choice now it's more than probably that is the two scenarios that will play out.

Tl;dr

FIFA Stats

Don't understand why you're making out he's a poor player. Had Cech not come available he would be first choice for Arsenal this season, like he is for Colombia. Yes he's not as good as Cech or Courtois but he is leagues above Howard in the goalkeeping stakes. The likes of Cech and Courtois are beyond our reach but Ospina is one of the best of the rung below. Would be a great keeper to get especially at the rumoured price.
S D. I don't want to make out that he is a poor player, but I don't think he is top drawer.
Each year I think we can afford one player out of the top drawer, just about.
Last year it was Lukaku, this year I am betting on us getting in a creative/attacking midfielder and next year when I think Howard ill go then I want us to spend big on a keeper.
I just think that this summer we can spend our money better than by signing a goalkeeper that is not really a step up from what we have.
If Ospina had been playing for last season would he have made a difference, I don't think so.
That is not a criticism of him because we were poor all over the field and he would have been left exposed as Howard was at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back