Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Impressive stats. My son is a keeper, plays for a decent grass-roots team, been on trial at a lower league club and I've told him that saves and clean-sheets are just as important as goals and assists from outfield players. If you look back at last season, the amount of silly goals Howard cost us alone with his initial positioning. Think Ospina would eradicate that from the team resulting in more points.

Think he could replace Howard this season for us? Please...

Is a playmaker going to help us stay games during when our goal is being battered by the opposition?
Is a playmaker going to have shear moments of brilliance when the opposition is about to score?
Is a playmaker going to make up for all of the goals we conceded this season?
Is a playmaker going to stop Howard losing unnecessary points?

Since Martinez has taken over these are the attacking players we've signed:

Kone- 5m
McGeady - 1m
Lukaku - 28m
Del - 4m

We have also signed Eto and Henen for no/small fees, loaned Del and Lukaku for a season prior to purchasing and loaned Atsu and Lennon aswell. That's over 40m spent on attacking styled players.

Midfielders we've signed:

McCarthy - 13m
Besic - 4m
Barry - Loan/Free
Cleverly - free

It'll end up being about 20m on midfielders we've signed:

Defenders and Goalkeepers signed:

Robles: 2m
Alacarz - free
Galloway - 2m

That'll end up being around 5m on defenders and keepers, not one of those is a first choice player, probably no more than 20 league starts between the three of them.

I do get that when Martinez took over it was our attack that needed a lot money, this isn't against those attacking players but now it's the defensive part of the game that needs attention and money spent.

Last season we conceded 50 goals, compared to 39 the season before and the 40 goals conceded in both of Moyes last two seasons at the club. It was the first time we had conceded 50 or more goals in a season since the 2003/2004 season. The defensive side of our game last season was very, very poor. Yes we play a much more attacking style under Martinez and I do understand that those tactics may result in us conceding the extra odd goal or two but we used the same tactics the season before last and we only conceded 39 goals.

Howard had his worst season at club and only declined more as the season went on, he's not at the stage of his career where we'll see him improving. Distin (also had his worst season at the club) and Alcaraz didn't do anything and have now both left the club and Hibbert is never fit leaving us with no proper cover for Coleman. How this is constantly being overly looked for a flashy number 10 is honestly beyond me. I honestly agree we need a creative playermaker, we really do lack that pure creative spark to bring others into the game and I have said it various times in the transfer threads but you're crazy if you think it's our biggest priority. I just hope Martinez is thinking the same way!

Stats.

1. first of all west ham moving above us? I can say Ogbonna and Payat i had never heard of before they were in for them so i wouldnt count them as moving above us, rather i rate del as a much better investment for the future than anyone they sign this summer.

2. Look at the new stadiums closely. most of the capactities were tiny before they increased, and the rest success brought them in rather than support. as i dsaid before we cant even sell our season tickets now FFS

3. You think season tickets will be as low as they are now? So tell me, how exactly how are the club going to pay for the stadium if we dont pay any more for our tickets? More to the point find me one stadium in this country that didnt lead to increased prices.

4. Coleman = very cheap reserve player, baines = decent player not youth player, Fellaini = panic buy after we couldnt sign anyone else despite selling players to raise the money for them, stones - name one young player moyes bought and he actually played?

5. If its pointless trying to compete in the league then why should we bother following football, or believing in the team? whats the point in football if its just poinltess that we cant develop a team over time and bridge a gap?
1. It's not going to happen overnight. The fact is they have probably beat us to our two top targets. Believe that if you must but there's a reason why all the links of our two most important positions to fill have dried up.

2. If you don't think as a club we have the potential to support a new stadium then that's fair enough. I disagree. But if you don't think that then why would you expect any person to invest in us.

3. I don't think that tickets will stay the same. I said they could do and still increase revenue because there's more seats and corporate boxes. We will have already paid for the stadium through the extra TV money. But yes they will increase because we will be looking to compete with the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool, City, Chelsea and Utd and that requires paying our players more in wages. That cost will come from the fans. You can't expect success without paying for it but hopefully there will be more pricing tiers so people aren't priced out of it either.

4. They all played except Stones.

5. Because you can't develop a team that way without being able to then also afford their wages. If Rom develops into a World Class striker he will want 200K a week. We can't afford to pay him that even with Champions League money. It's the reality of modern football.

Although I won't be responding again because this isn't the thread to do it.

Yes but would be over the moon if he got the number 10 he wants (Ziyech).
All aboard the Ziyech Express to Bobbyville!
BrooklandsMiniatureRailway13-05-06_000.jpg

TOOT! TOOT!

Is a playmaker going to help us stay games during when our goal is being battered by the opposition?
Is a playmaker going to have shear moments of brilliance when the opposition is about to score?
Is a playmaker going to make up for all of the goals we conceded this season?
Is a playmaker going to stop Howard losing unnecessary points?

Since Martinez has taken over these are the attacking players we've signed:

Kone- 5m
McGeady - 1m
Lukaku - 28m
Del - 4m

We have also signed Eto and Henen for no/small fees, loaned Del and Lukaku for a season prior to purchasing and loaned Atsu and Lennon aswell. That's over 40m spent on attacking styled players.

Midfielders we've signed:

McCarthy - 13m
Besic - 4m
Barry - Loan/Free
Cleverly - free

It'll end up being about 20m on midfielders we've signed:

Defenders and Goalkeepers signed:

Robles: 2m
Alacarz - free
Galloway - 2m

That'll end up being around 5m on defenders and keepers, not one of those is a first choice player, probably no more than 20 league starts between the three of them.

I do get that when Martinez took over it was our attack that needed a lot money, this isn't against those attacking players but now it's the defensive part of the game that needs attention and money spent.

Last season we conceded 50 goals, compared to 39 the season before and the 40 goals conceded in both of Moyes last two seasons at the club. It was the first time we had conceded 50 or more goals in a season since the 2003/2004 season. The defensive side of our game last season was very, very poor. Yes we play a much more attacking style under Martinez and I do understand that those tactics may result in us conceding the extra odd goal or two but we used the same tactics the season before last and we only conceded 39 goals.

Howard had his worst season at club and only declined more as the season went on, he's not at the stage of his career where we'll see him improving. Distin (also had his worst season at the club) and Alcaraz didn't do anything and have now both left the club and Hibbert is never fit leaving us with no proper cover for Coleman. How this is constantly being overly looked for a flashy number 10 is honestly beyond me. I honestly agree we need a creative playermaker, we really do lack that pure creative spark to bring others into the game and I have said it various times in the transfer threads but you're crazy if you think it's our biggest priority. I just hope Martinez is thinking the same way!

It's interesting that of the eleven permanent signings he's made, Martinez has worked with eight of them in some capacity before (either as loans or at Wigan, both in Cleverley's case) and, of the other three, Galloway was a very well-scouted youth prospect whose cost I imagine will be based on future success, while McGeady was close to signing for Wigan a year earlier. Only Besic could be considered a risk, and it was a relatively low fee for a 22 year-old international.

It all points to Martinez being fairly conservative in his transfer methods - not unlike Moyes in that respect - and suggests he's unlikely to be spunking massive amounts (even if he had them) on the Payet's, Shaqiri's and Mertens' we've been linked with.

It's interesting that of the eleven permanent signings he's made, Martinez has worked with eight of them in some capacity before (either as loans or at Wigan, both in Cleverley's case) and, of the other three, Galloway was a very well-scouted youth prospect whose cost I imagine will be based on future success, while McGeady was close to signing for Wigan a year earlier. Only Besic could be considered a risk, and it was a relatively low fee for a 22 year-old international.

It all points to Martinez being fairly conservative in his transfer methods - not unlike Moyes in that respect - and suggests he's unlikely to be spunking massive amounts (even if he had them) on the Payet's, Shaqiri's and Mertens' we've been linked with.
Not unless like Rom or McCarthy he has worked with them and knows exactly what he is getting.

I'm not sure I agree with Martinez' tactics in games all the time but like Moyes it's hard to fault him in the transfer market. Doesn't stop it being frustrating because for that reason he'll never "gamble" on the likes of Shaqiri or VVD. He will prefer to play it safe and get Lennon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back