Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say the Ospina story is interesting as that article quotes him talking about specifically moving here.

Would he do that if it wasn't on the cards?

What was the question he was answering? You need to see the whole thing really. He could've been asked, what are your thoughts on the Everton links.....

If true though, then it is definitely worth exploring.

Dark as the night and thick as fog. If you could make a beard out of a Stephen King novel, it'd be mine.

Annoying I had a beard before this hipster beard thing set in, which was unfortunate timing really; given everything else about me, I am probably indistinguishable from most hipsters. Though I maintain you can't really belong to any aesthetic movement when you buy all your clothes by going on ebay and clicking sort by "Price + P&P Lowest First".

Me too (the beard, not the clothes), but then I've been sporting a beard for about 15 years so I AM THE TREND.

So. Charlie Austin then? What do you think?

The point would be a brand new stadium that could probably come close to doubling our revenue and allow us to compete financially with at least the likes of West Ham, Spurs and Liverpool.

If we sold a player on 40K, then we would buy a younger player to replace him. Younger players cost less money in both wages and transfer fees. As I said Moyes did it for 10 years, maybe not within one window but through a couple of windows. It's not a new thing for us. We just shouldn't invest the extra money we have now on a gamble of breaking into the top 4 when we could go for the certainty of a new stadium.

Wenger has built Arsenal into a European power house. You would have been one of the fans calling for his head. Seriously think about it.

Although we need to do one or the other and commit to it. If we're going to invest in the team, get a loan for all the money and do it all now in one window and lets have a right go because the gap will just increase.

Ok, first of all who were these younger replacements that moyes signed? I genuinely want to know!

Also i praise martinez for his transfer approach, i also wanted him to leave us in march. I may be proven wrong and i still back him but yes i admit that.

third, get a loan? get a loan?! might i suggest reading the board thread before you realise why i highlighted that part.

but this is what i am trying to explain, your thoughts of sell to buy, get a loan to buy players with and ultimatly not worry about league placings whilst buying younger players is all the criteria for destroying a club!

Get a loan- Reason why we have no money and Leeds kinda did that, destroyed them

Lower age players / sell to buy- Villa did that, relegation battles ever since

new stadium- great, we cant even sell our season tickets now, how the hell is getting a new stadium going to convince more fans to buy higher priced season tickets? It will riddle the club with a debt.

not gamble for top 4? - we arent gambling, we are building a squad over time. We wouldnt ge ttop 4 even if we spent 100 million this window mate, but we have players in the squad now who could bridge the gap and replacing them with cheaper players is not an answer to any question apart from how to get relegated.

lower wages/price- Bar the odd bargain you find there is a reason why they are cheaper than others, because they arent as good. There is a reason why lukaku costs 28 for us (overpaid though) and kone cost 5, because one is much better than the other, despite the latter being experienced.

Finally compete with west ham? Really? Thats your aim? We have over performed west ham for pretty much most of the past 15 years, they have been relegated in that time, yet you see them as someone to rival now?

A) he isn't
but B) Cleverley won't be playing CM, he'll be one of the attacking 3 behind Lukaku.

If he plays off the striker then that is pretty much the playmaker role.

Otherwise he'll be playing as a Pienaar/Osman type on the left, you'd imagine, to allow for an overlapping LB. Has he done that before? It might work out brilliantly but I have my doubts.

Ok, first of all who were these younger replacements that moyes signed? I genuinely want to know!

Also i praise martinez for his transfer approach, i also wanted him to leave us in march. I may be proven wrong and i still back him but yes i admit that.

third, get a loan? get a loan?! might i suggest reading the board thread before you realise why i highlighted that part.

but this is what i am trying to explain, your thoughts of sell to buy, get a loan to buy players with and ultimatly not worry about league placings whilst buying younger players is all the criteria for destroying a club!

Get a loan- Reason why we have no money and Leeds kinda did that, destroyed them

Lower age players / sell to buy- Villa did that, relegation battles ever since

new stadium- great, we cant even sell our season tickets now, how the hell is getting a new stadium going to convince more fans to buy higher priced season tickets? It will riddle the club with a debt.

not gamble for top 4? - we arent gambling, we are building a squad over time. We wouldnt ge ttop 4 even if we spent 100 million this window mate, but we have players in the squad now who could bridge the gap and replacing them with cheaper players is not an answer to any question apart from how to get relegated.

lower wages/price- Bar the odd bargain you find there is a reason why they are cheaper than others, because they arent as good. There is a reason why lukaku costs 28 for us (overpaid though) and kone cost 5, because one is much better than the other, despite the latter being experienced.

Finally compete with west ham? Really? Thats your aim? We have over performed west ham for pretty much most of the past 15 years, they have been relegated in that time, yet you see them as someone to rival now?
Seriously? We have a couple of them in our team and sold one not too long ago. Stones, Coleman, Fellaini, Baines. We could all go on and on.

If you don't think a new stadium would increase revenue then that's your opinion. We would be the first club that would be case with but fair enough I'm not going to argue with you. Why would the season tickets be higher? There's more of them so they actually could stay the same price and still increase our receipts although realistically they probably would be higher. However there would probably be more pricing tiers too.

Of course you are gambling. I know if we take the TV money that in 5 years we will have a new stadium and that will bring a certain increase in revenue. You don't know that investing in the team will lead to anything at all. There's a big difference between the two approaches. You would be gambling. Even with the extra TV money, we won't compete with the top 4. It's pointless.

Outperform West Ham? With their new stadium they will move ahead of us. We're seeing the start of it in this window. Historically we've also outperformed Chelsea, Spurs and Man City.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back