Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
we would still score 1 goal at least in those games though and would have been enough to win games. you look at spurs where we were tootally dominant 1-0 up and he made a howler to change the game and then another howlers just minutes later to turn a 1-0 win into a 2-1 defeat. you look at games vs palace where we scored 2 which should have been enough, but he basically scored 3 OG's. we obviously need a play maker but that guy can see us scoring 2 or 3 per game and it still may not be enough.
Fair point but if we are going to sign a goalkeeper I don't want an Arsenal reserve.
After all he is available because Arsenal think he is not good enough for them.
Have we set our goalkeeping standard at that level. It's not as if Ospina a youngster at the very start of his career, he carries a fair level of experience.
I would prefer to play Robles.

Fair point but if we are going to sign a goalkeeper I don't want an Arsenal reserve.
After all he is available because Arsenal think he is not good enough for them.
Have we set our goalkeeping standard at that level. It's not as if Ospina a youngster at the very start of his career, he carries a fair level of experience.
I would prefer to play Robles.

He's hardly a reserve, he ousted Scezney, it's only because Wenger will have guaranteed Cech first team that he's available. By that logic you wouldn't want Cech because he was Courtois' reserve. Lukaku was fourth choice at Chelsea, who cares if when they get here they perform for Everton?

Reserve with the highest save % of any keeper with 10+ games in the league last year I believe

arsenal-goalkeepers.jpg

Would love it if it were true, at the stage now were I just want it to be 2nd September and we can focus on the football rather than the papers

we would still score 1 goal at least in those games though and would have been enough to win games. you look at spurs where we were tootally dominant 1-0 up and he made a howler to change the game and then another howlers just minutes later to turn a 1-0 win into a 2-1 defeat. you look at games vs palace where we scored 2 which should have been enough, but he basically scored 3 OG's. we obviously need a play maker but that guy can see us scoring 2 or 3 per game and it still may not be enough.
100% this...nothing else needs saying.

Reserve with the highest save % of any keeper with 10+ games in the league last year I believe

arsenal-goalkeepers.jpg

Would love it if it were true, at the stage now were I just want it to be 2nd September and we can focus on the football rather than the papers
Now we're talking. We all love some stats. ;)

arsenal-goalkeepers.jpg

This is BS..cech looks better here, only reason being chelsea have a WAY better defense. and cech only played during small meaningless games, usually ones that chelsea dominated.

West Ham fans suddenly believe they are Citch. Why would Kev even consider West Ham? He does not need to live in London like the Italian CB.

Seriously? We have a couple of them in our team and sold one not too long ago. Stones, Coleman, Fellaini, Baines. We could all go on and on.

If you don't think a new stadium would increase revenue then that's your opinion. We would be the first club that would be case with but fair enough I'm not going to argue with you. Why would the season tickets be higher? There's more of them so they actually could stay the same price and still increase our receipts although realistically they probably would be higher. However there would probably be more pricing tiers too.

Of course you are gambling. I know if we take the TV money that in 5 years we will have a new stadium and that will bring a certain increase in revenue. You don't know that investing in the team will lead to anything at all. There's a big difference between the two approaches. You would be gambling. Even with the extra TV money, we won't compete with the top 4. It's pointless.

Outperform West Ham? With their new stadium they will move ahead of us. We're seeing the start of it in this window. Historically we've also outperformed Chelsea, Spurs and Man City.

1. first of all west ham moving above us? I can say Ogbonna and Payat i had never heard of before they were in for them so i wouldnt count them as moving above us, rather i rate del as a much better investment for the future than anyone they sign this summer.

2. Look at the new stadiums closely. most of the capactities were tiny before they increased, and the rest success brought them in rather than support. as i dsaid before we cant even sell our season tickets now FFS

3. You think season tickets will be as low as they are now? So tell me, how exactly how are the club going to pay for the stadium if we dont pay any more for our tickets? More to the point find me one stadium in this country that didnt lead to increased prices.

4. Coleman = very cheap reserve player, baines = decent player not youth player, Fellaini = panic buy after we couldnt sign anyone else despite selling players to raise the money for them, stones - name one young player moyes bought and he actually played?

5. If its pointless trying to compete in the league then why should we bother following football, or believing in the team? whats the point in football if its just poinltess that we cant develop a team over time and bridge a gap?

There are far more pressing issues in our side than the GK position.
Is Ospina going to help us break down West Brom/Leicester/Watford/Bournemouth/Sunderland/Norwich at Goodison?
Is Ospina going to create a bit of magic against the top sides away? Like Chelsea last season where, for all our defensive stability, we never really looked like scoring, bar the ridiculous chance Lukaku hit straight at the keeper?
Liverpool away? we looked blunt in attack.
Arsenal away? full of running and endeavor, pretty up until the last third and then devoid of ideas.

A number 10/playmaker/advanced midfielder...whatever you want to call it....is the absolute priority imho
Is a playmaker going to help us stay games during when our goal is being battered by the opposition?
Is a playmaker going to have shear moments of brilliance when the opposition is about to score?
Is a playmaker going to make up for all of the goals we conceded this season?
Is a playmaker going to stop Howard losing unnecessary points?

Since Martinez has taken over these are the attacking players we've signed:

Kone- 5m
McGeady - 1m
Lukaku - 28m
Del - 4m

We have also signed Eto and Henen for no/small fees, loaned Del and Lukaku for a season prior to purchasing and loaned Atsu and Lennon aswell. That's over 40m spent on attacking styled players.

Midfielders we've signed:

McCarthy - 13m
Besic - 4m
Barry - Loan/Free
Cleverly - free

It'll end up being about 20m on midfielders we've signed:

Defenders and Goalkeepers signed:

Robles: 2m
Alacarz - free
Galloway - 2m

That'll end up being around 5m on defenders and keepers, not one of those is a first choice player, probably no more than 20 league starts between the three of them.

I do get that when Martinez took over it was our attack that needed a lot money, this isn't against those attacking players but now it's the defensive part of the game that needs attention and money spent.

Last season we conceded 50 goals, compared to 39 the season before and the 40 goals conceded in both of Moyes last two seasons at the club. It was the first time we had conceded 50 or more goals in a season since the 2003/2004 season. The defensive side of our game last season was very, very poor. Yes we play a much more attacking style under Martinez and I do understand that those tactics may result in us conceding the extra odd goal or two but we used the same tactics the season before last and we only conceded 39 goals.

Howard had his worst season at club and only declined more as the season went on, he's not at the stage of his career where we'll see him improving. Distin (also had his worst season at the club) and Alcaraz didn't do anything and have now both left the club and Hibbert is never fit leaving us with no proper cover for Coleman. How this is constantly being overly looked for a flashy number 10 is honestly beyond me. I honestly agree we need a creative playermaker, we really do lack that pure creative spark to bring others into the game and I have said it various times in the transfer threads but you're crazy if you think it's our biggest priority. I just hope Martinez is thinking the same way!

arsenal-goalkeepers.jpg

Impressive stats. My son is a keeper, plays for a decent grass-roots team, been on trial at a lower league club and I've told him that saves and clean-sheets are just as important as goals and assists from outfield players. If you look back at last season, the amount of silly goals Howard cost us alone with his initial positioning. Think Ospina would eradicate that from the team resulting in more points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back