Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think getting ospina and vlaar for a combination of £5m would be very sound business and we'd be using about 3 or 4 mill less than anticipated just to get in a backup centre back. i don't mind vlaar, think he's good enough to be a backup for us tbh and if he's not we re-asses next summer/we have galloway or browning 1 year more experience.

could also see us have more money in the kitty for the playmaker or another loan. i just don't think we're in for vlaar and martinez is tooo nice to go around touting howard to teams - it'll be more "if you want to stay we're happy" ... "oh you do want to stay tim, great".

What did Arsenal pay for Ospina?
If im honest I haven't seen that much of him.
Also I know he was shocking last year but I cant see us just ditching him, hes been here years and we keep our old players for like 24 years to much

I'd say the Ospina story is interesting as that article quotes him talking about specifically moving here.

Would he do that if it wasn't on the cards?

it seems he's desperate for a move grouch since cech came in. obviously doesn't want to disrespect arsenal or show that he'll easily just give up his spot - but they're clear as day come and get me. really impressed me in the world cup and did really well over here last seaosn when given a chance. he's still got his prime years ahead of him. there is an abundance of good keepers out there atm and i don't think ospina is too bad from crosses given his height as well.

It doesn't leave us in debt if we run a sell to buy policy and use all the new TV money on the stadium.

If you think building a new stadium isn't going to increase our revenue then you don't have much faith that this club should be any higher in the league than we are. We are the 4th most successful club in England. It's the stadium holding us back not the potential of the club.

Wages aren't covered like that. Wages have been increasingly going up faster than the revenue until the new TV deal. That would mean if we are running at break even the money had to come from somewhere and that was transfers.

Anyway this isn't the thread for this.
We do as you say then we will be relegated and the club would fold.

You dont sell to buy and put zero investment into a team and expect success. Look at villa, sell up and invest in youth and bar the one good player they signed they would already be down.

There are far more pressing issues in our side than the GK position.
Is Ospina going to help us break down West Brom/Leicester/Watford/Bournemouth/Sunderland/Norwich at Goodison?
Is Ospina going to create a bit of magic against the top sides away? Like Chelsea last season where, for all our defensive stability, we never really looked like scoring, bar the ridiculous chance Lukaku hit straight at the keeper?
Liverpool away? we looked blunt in attack.
Arsenal away? full of running and endeavor, pretty up until the last third and then devoid of ideas.

A number 10/playmaker/advanced midfielder...whatever you want to call it....is the absolute priority imho

This is the argument those moaning about people moaning don't understand, for me I couldn't care it we only signed the 1 player but aslong as it was thay playmaker that we desperately need, new GK, CB, Cleverly, Del great but they are all for me meaningless if we don't get this essential signing in, otherwise it's another season of no service to Rom playing back to goal giving the ball away, and boring and slow sideways passing not being able to break poor sides down.

We do as you say then we will be relegated and the club would fold.

You dont sell to buy and put zero investment into a team and expect success. Look at villa, sell up and invest in youth and bar the one good player they signed they would already be down.
Why? We have a team that in 5 years time with no investment in transfers will be better than it is now. Don't look at Villa, look at us instead.

Robles - 30y/o
Baines - Replaced by Garbutt
Stones - 26y/o
Jags - Replaced by Browning / Galloway
Coleman - 31y/o
Barkley - 26y/o
McCarthy - 29y/o
Besic - 26y/o
Deulofeu - 26y/o
Rom - 27y/o
Mirallas - Replaced by Henen

Even if Henen, Browning, Garbutt or Galloway don't work out we could still sell a player like Barkley or Rom and buy a cheaper striker and a replacement for any of them.

If any of those players leave their transfer would more than cover their replacement.

In 5 years without any investment we would have a better side than the one today. That's the reason the time is right to build the stadium. Squad players have always been cheap or frees for us.

Why? We have a team that in 5 years time with no investment in transfers will be better than it is now.

Robles - 30y/o
Baines - Replaced by Garbutt
Stones - 26y/o
Jags - Replaced by Browning / Galloway
Coleman - 31y/o
Barkley - 26y/o
McCarthy - 29y/o
Besic - 26y/o
Deulofeu - 26y/o
Rom - 27y/o
Mirallas - Replaced by Henen

Even if Henen, Browning, Garbutt or Galloway don't work out we could still sell a player like Barkley or Rom and buy a cheaper striker and a replacement for any of them.

If any of those players leave their transfer would more than cover their replacement.

In 5 years without any investment we would have a better side than the one today. That's the reason the time is right to build the stadium. Squad players have always been cheap or frees for us.

first of all it depends if all those players become top players, also on the baiss they arent bought by hugher teams.

So ok, beyond that team, who plays? We need a squad not a team and with little investment that team will have poor back up which is again villas problem when selling players and having poor back up when they are needed.

first of all it depends if all those players become top players, also on the baiss they arent bought by hugher teams.

So ok, beyond that team, who plays? We need a squad not a team and with little investment that team will have poor back up which is again villas problem when selling players and having poor back up when they are needed.
It doesn't depend on that. Even if those players don't improve that team would still finish no worse than mid-table like last season so in other words we wouldn't get relegated. The sales would fund the replacement. If we where to sell any of those players we would be making a profit on them and there's no reason we couldn't simply replace like for like. Moyes did it for 10 years while gradually improving the team.

There's players like Ryan Ledson coming through and probably one or two others that might make it plus I'm sure we'll continue to pick up the odd free transfer here and there.

We might slip down a few league positions but it could be manageable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back