Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If/when Tim Howard leaves it will be to return to the States. I think that if he were leaving now it would have been done alrewady and he wouldn't have come back for preseason.

I think this will be his last season with us, but I think he will be our first choice keeper this season with Robles as back up.

We are going to sign a centrehalf and an attacking midfielder and I think our transfer budget will be eaten up in signing these players.

Would we prefer Ospina or Szczeney if we had the option on either?
I liked the way Szcez came out for the crosses in the cup final. Nullified the one thing Villa had. (That was him wasn't it?)
But as said - Ospina in the team improved Arsenal.

That's not true. It's not hard to understand why we're always skint.

Our revenue is limited compared to the teams around but we still have to keep up with the wages of the players. Every player we sell normally goes straight back in to getting a replacement. The odd player that is sold that doesn't goes into covering the cashflow since we don't bring in enough to cover our costs.

We're essentially not a rich enough club to be where we are in the league. The only solution to that is building a stadium. I know people don't want to admit that and prefer to think the board is stealing all the money but it's the simple truth.

the stadium is the myth. it puts us in debts and everyone assumes it would attract much bigger sponsors than pukka pies and also despite the lack of a season ticket waiting list and the existence of half season tickets, we are automatically going to add another 10-15 k every week, plus corporate stuff.

We may do all of that, im not saying we cant. But its relying on all of that to turn the club profitable, less than that it leaves us more in debt.

Wages are covered mate btw. Thats why we only sign x amount of players, we have a wage budget and once we hit it we dont sign anyone else. the issue then is transfer fees vanish into the club despite it but different discussion altogether.

There are far more pressing issues in our side than the GK position.
Is Ospina going to help us break down West Brom/Leicester/Watford/Bournemouth/Sunderland/Norwich at Goodison?
Is Ospina going to create a bit of magic against the top sides away? Like Chelsea last season where, for all our defensive stability, we never really looked like scoring, bar the ridiculous chance Lukaku hit straight at the keeper?
Liverpool away? we looked blunt in attack.
Arsenal away? full of running and endeavor, pretty up until the last third and then devoid of ideas.

A number 10/playmaker/advanced midfielder...whatever you want to call it....is the absolute priority imho

Ospina does need to be more commanding aerially, but part of that might be to do with his height (6' is small for a keeper). He's more decisive than Howard, but I guess that's not saying much.

Is Ospina going to help us break down West Brom/Leicester/Watford/Bournemouth/Sunderland/Norwich at Goodison?
Is Ospina going to create a bit of magic against the top sides away? Like Chelsea last season where, for all our defensive stability, we never really looked like scoring, bar the ridiculous chance Lukaku hit straight at the keeper?
Arsenal away? full of running and endeavor, pretty up until the last third and then devoid of ideas.

A number 10/playmaker/advanced midfielder...whatever you want to call it....is the absolute priority imho

Goalkeeper has to be the priority. We may have problems breaking teams down but with a good keeper you don't lose the game. We played well against poor sides at home and ended up losing because Howard was throwing balls into his bet for fun (Pslace at home for example). We need a creative mid absolutely but we can kiss goodbye to any top 4 chance with Howard in goal.

Too true mate, can't be doing with another Season of sideways,sideways, backward,
We need a playmaker, or It will spell the end for Martinez.

You've got a short memory, mate. Howard single-handedly cost us a bucket-load of points last season. Remember Crystal Palace?

I liked the way Szcez came out for the crosses in the cup final. Nullified the one thing Villa had. (That was him wasn't it?)
But as said - Ospina in the team improved Arsenal.
Didn't Ospina's introduction not also coincide with Coquelin who frankly is a superb player and was the real difference when it comes to Arsenal's improvement in form. I would be lying if I said I had much of an opinion at all about Ospina, I think I remember a few mistakes but honestly wasn't paying much attention to him when I saw them. I also just don't like small keepers.

Howard cost us at least 10 points last season, AT LEAST. Goalkeeper is just as important as a CB or playmaker. If Ospina is available for £5m and what he's saying is true, then we'd be stupid not too

If we could flog Howard you'd think someone would give us at least £2-3m anyway, and I doubt Ospina's wages would be any higher.

Goalkeeper has to be the priority. We may have problems breaking teams down but with a good keeper you don't lose the game. We played well against poor sides at home and ended up losing because Howard was throwing balls into his bet for fun (Pslace at home for example). We need a creative mid absolutely but we can kiss goodbye to any top 4 chance with Howard in goal.

he obviously can't get worse than last season but maybe the rest (no WC and no europe) will see him be a lot better this time around. pretty irrelevant because he's 36 and on a long contract so he needs replacing. i can't see a bargain like ospina for £5m who's willing to come here coming around next summer.

playing 2 seasons non stop at his age could well have been a factor in howard's performances as opposed to him being finished.

the stadium is the myth. it puts us in debts and everyone assumes it would attract much bigger sponsors than pukka pies and also despite the lack of a season ticket waiting list and the existence of half season tickets, we are automatically going to add another 10-15 k every week, plus corporate stuff.

We may do all of that, im not saying we cant. But its relying on all of that to turn the club profitable, less than that it leaves us more in debt.

Wages are covered mate btw. Thats why we only sign x amount of players, we have a wage budget and once we hit it we dont sign anyone else. the issue then is transfer fees vanish into the club despite it but different discussion altogether.
It doesn't leave us in debt if we run a sell to buy policy and use all the new TV money on the stadium.

If you think building a new stadium isn't going to increase our revenue then you don't have much faith that this club should be any higher in the league than we are. We are the 4th most successful club in England. It's the stadium holding us back not the potential of the club.

Wages aren't covered like that. Wages have been increasingly going up faster than the revenue until the new TV deal. That would mean if we are running at break even the money had to come from somewhere and that was transfers.

Anyway this isn't the thread for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back