Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. But will Stones make us into a Champions League squad on his current ability? This is the same defender who started most games last year, when we shipped goal after goal.

Chelsea think he's a top defender, but they want him on the bench.
He missed half the season through injury
Our defensive record when he played was very good
And the more top quality players you have surely give you a better chance of moving forward

Stones is worth every penny of £50m to a club like Chelsea. England international, composed ball-playing centre-half who will lead the club for a decade.

Money is relative - for them, it's completely worth it. I actually can't understand Chelsea fans who think we're demanding over the odds at stupid fees like £30m.

Just going to repeat this in case anybody needs to read it twice

From my inexperienced vantage point 40m is not far above what Stones is valued at now. Why sell for a fair price to a desperate suitor when most are confident the opportunity to sell at a high price will be around for a couple of years, at least?

There are two separate issues here : what's a realistic valuation of Stones, and should we sell if Chelsea were to offer £40m.

On the second issue we've heard a lot of good arguments as to why we should turn Mourinho down even at £40m. Not least because it would be a massive boost for the club and the fans while to sell would be a massive letdown.

But just putting aside for a moment the question of what selling him now would actually mean, I do think we're falling into the trap of overvaluing him. There's a reason why the most expensive players are always forwards. Defenders don't generally win matches. At today's prices there can't be more than a handful of centre backs in the world worth £40m, there certainly aren't more than half a dozen clubs in Europe able to consider paying that kind of money for a defender. So even if Stones continues to improve like we all hope he will, and avoids major injury, we may never be offered anywhere near £40m for him again. To be clear - I'm not saying that we should take Abramovich's dirty money.

There are two separate issues here : what's a realistic valuation of Stones, and should we sell if Chelsea were to offer £40m.

On the second issue we've heard a lot of good arguments as to why we should turn Mourinho down even at £40m. Not least because it would be a massive boost for the club and the fans while to sell would be a massive letdown.

But just putting aside for a moment the question of what selling him now would actually mean, I do think we're falling into the trap of overvaluing him. There's a reason why the most expensive players are always forwards. Defenders don't generally win matches. At today's prices there can't be more than a handful of centre backs in the world worth £40m, there certainly aren't more than half a dozen clubs in Europe able to consider paying that kind of money for a defender. So even if Stones continues to improve like we all hope he will, and avoids major injury, we may never be offered anywhere near £40m for him again. To be clear - I'm not saying that we should take Abramovich's dirty money.

So let's keep him.

I see John Stones still as a player of much potential, but that's it. He plays the ball fantastically and is in with Martinez's pass it around style - however how often does he get turned out by an average player (you don't need to look far for an answer, Watford is the most recent).

To reject £30,000,000, just to prove that we are not a "selling club" would be stupid.

Would Stones walk into the Chelsea squad? I don't think so.

No offence, but you haven't got a clue.

£22M 2009 Lescott to City
£22M 2001 Thuram to Juve
£23M 2009 Chygrynskiy to Barca
£24M 2008 Alves to Barca
£25M 2007 Pepe to Real Madrid
£27M 2011 Coentrao to Real Madrid
£27M 2013 Marquinhos to PSG
£30M 2002 Ferdinand to United
£36M 2012 Silva to PSG
£50M 2014 Luiz to PSG

Chelsea's initial offer would put Stones in the top-10 most expensive transfers for defenders, so let's not confuse the issue that Chelsea aren't willing to pay. The current tabloid rumors would but the sale of Stones on either side of Silva's price (i.e., #2 or #4 highest ever). The only consistency on this list is that the buyers are all rich clubs that can afford the valuation. If Chelsea's intent in pursuing Stones isn't clear, I don't know how to make it clearer. Likewise, it couldn't be clearer that if the board sells Stones (outside of his request to leave), it's a bedwetting operation matched only by their prior bedwetting achievements.

Stones is priceless. He organizes the back line better than our captain does. Solid on the ball, even better off it. He is currently one of the best defenders in the world- and is vastly underrated despite what others think. You need to see him play a game to see what Evertonians are hyped about. This is Barkleys and Rooneys hype doubled. Probably tripled. Probably infiniteied. This lad possibly will be the best defender in Europe (here's hoping).Enough about Stones he is going nowhere. He's ours for now, and he's our to stay.

Yarmolenko to score against City you heard it here first.

True. I think it's a shame that despite Martinez's resolute comments, we all still have to entertain the mongering from the Media and bratty Chelsea fans. 'Every player has his price' - a sentiment I truly resent... but it's sadly true that we live in a world where people can essentially force money down people's throats until it's impossible for them to refuse, no matter how important that thing is. And it hasn't always been like that, in all walks of life.

So yeah, Stones does have a 'price' - he's a football player, however special he is. And it also has to be a stupid one - not because we are greedy, but to deter them from buying him, because he is ours. But I honestly believe there is no value you can really place on the memories that lad could give us... sorry to go all soppy bollox on you but I think it's true.

So , in that sense, it's justified IMO and they can cry all they want about us being outrageous...

If we are going to be the team To get in to champions League like Martinez said when he joined, we need to stand very strong and not sell Stones it would be a great statement to all the other teams at the top, but we would need to do very well this season otherwise Stones and others may lose patience and want out. I thought last season Martinez was losing the plot and thought perhaps he isn't the right man for the job, but we have a lot of good young players and some very good older ones most of which are tied to long contracts. These teams with money are bully boys and they usually get what they want, let's see if we can hold out. Obviously there would eventually there would be a price, but if that happens let it be a price that makes Chelsea look like they have lost the plot (how much did they pay for Torres?) stones is younger another 10/20 million on top.
absolutely correct. This is a very very key season for EFC.

True. I think it's a shame that despite Martinez's resolute comments, we all still have to entertain the mongering from the Media and bratty Chelsea fans. 'Every player has his price' - a sentiment I truly resent... but it's sadly true that we live in a world where people can essentially force money down people's throats until it's impossible for them to refuse, no matter how important that thing is. And it hasn't always been like that, in all walks of life.

So yeah, Stones does have a 'price' - he's a football player, however special he is. And it also has to be a stupid one - not because we are greedy, but to deter them from buying him, because he is ours. But I honestly believe there is no value you can really place on the memories that lad could give us... sorry to go all soppy bollox on you but I think it's true.

So , in that sense, it's justified IMO and they can cry all they want about us being outrageous...
The bit regarding memories is so true. Not interested in money in the bank. I want to see the best on the pitch and trophies in the cabinet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back