Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course you give a chance, I didn't say anything to the contrary. I just said I didn't like the look it.

Your basically agreeing with my concerns mate, your trying to excus the fact that their are genuine concerns about a Martinez ability to pick a defender, TBF I think your points are reaching at best. Your basically saying he's never signed a decent defender. He hasn't.

I like Bobby mind, but a horse with a cone on its forgead doesn't make it a unicorn, nor a world class centre back. But fully behind the lad.

Why would a centre-half have a cone on his forehead?

Anyway, considering the player's age and the fee paid, I'm optimistic. Even if he turns out to be nothing more than a serviceable backup, that's not bad business. Some of the prices being thrown out for that position have been mad this summer.

1. ....

JS48277805.jpg

2. City have just paid £30m for an Argentine centreback haven't they? £30m!!

3. See point two.

4. Maybe you're right but this a quite a wide and varied forum so maybe you're wrong again..

1. Oh dear
2. I fail to see the coralation between price and quality, I fail to see what tranfer fee have to do with a decent centre half via Mangala, Rojo.
3. You what like, I kind of lost interst after 1 fail.
4. Let's hope so.

i think he signed decent center halves for that level, alcaraz was very good for wigan, was was Ramis before he was injured.

But because of how smaller wigan are to us, it's hard for us to say 'that was a good signing...' because we are a totally different caliber of squad to theirs.

I'm not that worried i think he'll settle in and do a good job, just don't be so glum!

I'm not, I hope the lad does well, I'm just reflecting and analysing the context, I have justifiable concerns I feel, hopefully invalid ones.

Nah mate both were gash. Let's be honest he hasn't proven he can sign a good defensive player, hence my concern.

Last edited:
I'm not, I jope the lad does well, I'm just reflecting and analysing the context, I have justifiable concerns I feel, hopefully invalid ones.

Nah mate both were gash. Let's be honest he hasn't proven he can sign a good defensive player, hence my concern.
fair enough, if thats your opinion it's your opinion.

I'll judge him by his signings with us from now on, but you're right to keep an eye on the past even though they're different scenarios

A couple of decent Twitter sources are reporting that Yarmalenko is in Liverpool. Unless they've confused him with one of the other two. No pics yet, so I'm still calling BS.

*Non-Football sources that they've seen him."

Last edited:
1) Martinez hasn't proven to me he can sign a defender.

2) I think in a contempory sense Argentina are relatively poor at the back and this lad struggles to get a cap.

3) He has never played in the PL and Its an if as to whether he can.

4) Despite Peoppe claiming they watch river plate every week, I would say there is no one on this forum who has watched him play over 5 times - if they are being truthful, so generally no body knows anything about him bar googling him and you tubeing him.

4)
At my kids football training last night, I talked to one of the Dad´s (business man in technology sector) who is a serious River fan and has friends involved in various of the committees running the club.

They rate Funes Mori really highly. Firstly, his path to the top has been far from straight-forward or easy. He has had to fight his way to where he is. He has, at various stages, received dogs abuse from the media, particularly the Boca loving elements of it (think of how Liverpool get treated in the UK and how all their ex players are in the media, it is the same hear with Boca). He took it all on the chin, never caused a ripple in the dressing room, did his talking on the pitch. He is considered a really level headed guy, not the norm here either for a football star. Never on the gossip pages with some "model". Most of all, they say the guy is a born winner. The bigger the challenge, the better he responds. The bigger the game, the better he plays.

The can not believe that a Champions league team did not come in for him and were amazed that Everton got him. They reckon he will be playing for the Sky 4 in three years after a huge transfer.

They say that he does make mistakes but that they are becoming fewer and fewer in his game. Keeping Ballanta out / the appointmentof Gallardo as manager (who in the first training session told everyone "this guy is a future argentine national centre half") has been the watershed moment of his career. Everything has taking over from that.

All the crying about him going is because he is the player the fans identify with most. He has dug them out time and time again to launch a golden era for the club in the last 18 months when they were relegated for the only time ever four years ago.

I told the guy that Everton fans love a fighter and he was delighted to hear that and said that you will love him so because first and foremost, that is what he is.

Because he speaks English, he should find it much easier to settle and there are plenty of Argentine footballers in the Greater Manchester area that he can have an asado with at the weekend. The usual worry with Argentines in English footie is that they get homesick or do not like the physicality. Neither of these apply to Funes Mori.

This is going to work a treat I reckon.

A couple of decent Twitter sources are reporting that Yarmalenko is in Liverpool. Unless they've confused him with one of the other two. No pics yet, so I'm still calling BS.

*Non-Football sources that they've seen him."

Links to the tweets please mate or even just their @'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back