Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually had a sleepless night last night when i read all this. I mean thats really ridiculous but i'm totally gobsmacked at the pure stupidity of this signing.

Its a mix of disbelief, anger and pure horror. Whats winding me up even more is seeing posts asking why he would move from UTDs bench to ours..he's 6th choice there! Also why he would take a pay cut when he would get a 4 or 5 year contract instead of being binned next season and taking what he can from Sunderland or someone.

Evans looked like he could be a Stones type when he first came on the scene at UTD. Looked like they had unearthed a star there and SAF raved about him...

However, if he was playing for another side like say, Sunderland and we signed him for this price i think people would be furious. Seems like alot of people like him as hes from UTD and those that are angry/worried have actually taken notice that hes a below average, injury probe liability.

Also for those saying 3 at the back now, its just incredible as Evans has been even worse in that formation and even publically said he couldnt adjust a year ago to Van Gaals system.

Im keen to get rid of kone and mcgeady types not sign more!!

Only way i would be less annoyed is if the fee and wages were tiny so we could sell him in Jan.
So you haven't watched him much then.

Or at least I'm assuming that as you quoted me but didn't really answer my question at any point during those paragraphs.

Solid, experienced, in his prime. What's wrong with that.

McGeady was absolute rubbish and i was shocked we signed him, but yes gave it a chance for such a supposedly low fee. He should be out of the door now as wages will be still being paid for someone not good enough...

Kone i wouldnt class as a 'proven goalscorer' in any league. At the time when we were in for him i said ALL of wigans play was bespoke for him to finish, they were very attacking and he had so many chances to finish...other than the customary donkeys or debutants scoring against us he had a pretty average season and even then his career has been unimpressive. Him signing though cleared out jelavic and anichebe so 1 step back and 2 steps forward.

So those 2 i can 'understand', this signing though is a disgrace really. How can an injury prone liability provide decent cover when its well known he needs a consistent run of games or is absolute tosh.

McGeady was, essentially, free. Kone was a proven premier league goal scorer for 6 million, which wasn't an amazing deal, but it wasn't the complete mistake that many pretend it was. Had he not gotten injured, it would have been fine. Evans is a good defender for a reasonable fee. He is experienced and fits our system. He'll provide squad rotation and cover while giving Stones, Galloway and Browning the opportunity to develop.

Watched him a fair bit yes, not much last season when he was supposedly worse than usual but in many other games yes on the TV in bars...whenever his name was on the team sheet the other side always has a chance. Some of his backpasses are shocking and hes never going to win any fans in blue...never.

Solid = He's not solid. He's inconsistent and a frequent liability not to mention injury prone...i think his level is bottom third of the league as a regular starter because he cant manage a run of games (think someone posted 7 max in recent seasons) which he needs to get some consistency and play to an average level.

Experienced = Yes experience under SAF but 200 games isnt massive experience...i'd go the other way and say he has experience being dropped down all the way to SIXTH choice at UTD.

Prime = If this is his prime then one way to go from here.

Heres a question for you, if UTD picked Blackett and McNair in front of him (see Galloway and Browning) then doesnt this at least give you a concern?

I would be fine with a 1 year stopgap and banking on Galloway and Browning coming through as backup in 12months...OR spending BIG money on someone to push out Jagielka over time...but NOT signing below average players like this.

Top players/Top potential/stopgaps= ok.
Below average injury prone = not ok.

So you haven't watched him much then.

Or at least I'm assuming that as you quoted me but didn't really answer my question at any point during those paragraphs.

Solid, experienced, in his prime. What's wrong with that.

Watched him a fair bit yes, not much last season when he was supposedly worse than usual but in many other games yes on the TV in bars...whenever his name was on the team sheet the other side always has a chance. Some of his backpasses are shocking and hes never going to win any fans in blue...never.

Solid = He's not solid. He's inconsistent and a frequent liability not to mention injury prone...i think his level is bottom third of the league as a regular starter because he cant manage a run of games (think someone posted 7 max in recent seasons) which he needs to get some consistency and play to an average level.

Experienced = Yes experience under SAF but 200 games isnt massive experience...i'd go the other way and say he has experience being dropped down all the way to SIXTH choice at UTD.

Prime = If this is his prime then one way to go from here.

Heres a question for you, if UTD picked Blackett and McNair in front of him (see Galloway and Browning) then doesnt this at least give you a concern?

I would be fine with a 1 year stopgap and banking on Galloway and Browning coming through as backup in 12months...OR spending BIG money on someone to push out Jagielka over time...but NOT signing below average players like this.

Top players/Top potential/stopgaps= ok.
Below average injury prone = not ok.

:Blink:

This isnt even a sure thing and yet a lot of you have got your knickers in a twist....calm down lads!!

But if he does sign then I believe he'll do a decent job filling in for either jags or stones. Experienced pro who will also help mentor browning, galloway and even stonsey.

Only downside I do see is the fee. But we'll just have to wait n see on that.

Evans is a decent squad player and after seeing galloway and browning we should be ok for defenders we just need a creative mid and backup striker and were good to go.

...I've said it before and will say it again, you can't have too many good players and Evans is a good player. I don't think CB is a priority because we have emerging talent but if Evans does come in it shouldn't halt the progress of promising youngsters. If they are outstanding they will come through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back