Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It won't be Stones or Barkley, unless... and it's a big IF... then it'll be for £50mil. No need to be so doomsday about it... yet. Martinez has said the squad will get smaller, but he's also said he wants to keep the key group together.

For me, that means keeping:
- Coleman
- Stones
- Barks
- McCarthy
- Rom

Nobody will come in for any of the older heads, realistically: e.g. Baines, Jags, Barry

The rest, I'd imagine, aren't exactly up for sale, but, if push comes to shove, would go.

McGeady definitely seems to be on his way - given he's had zero minutes so far in pre-season.
Injured...

Been saying this too. I say it and I get slaughtered for suggesting names to sell to break the deadlock.

We are what we are. We can't wishful think that away.

Stones or Barkley will have to go before we sign players IMO.

who would you want to go? two years ago everyone would be devastated if barkley left, now its stones...who will be the better player? who can we 'afford' to lose?

is barkley still going to be a world class midfielder? is stones very good for his age, but not gonna get any better?

should we try and keep both, then get rid of the fringe...Naismith, kone, mcgeady?

questions

who would you want to go? two years ago everyone would be devastated if barkley left, now its stones...who will be the better player? who can we 'afford' to lose?

is barkley still going to be a world class midfielder? is stones very good for his age, but not gonna get any better?

should we try and keep both, then get rid of the fringe...Naismith, kone, mcgeady?

questions

I think it's realistic for us to not have to sell either of the two this year. Nobody will buy Kone, someone might give McGeady a chance... I think if we go for a striker it'll be a loan, while a CB won't be an expensive addition. The bigger deal will be for a playmaker, which is what the team desperately needs.

Pienaar is another who, if someone offered, i think may be shown the door, similar to Naismith though I do think he'll stay.

I'm really annoyed, though not surprised, how once we've denied the bid Chelsea are leveraging the press to make it seem an inevitability Stones will move. Constant articles, rumours, all based on the inherent assumption that Stones will be sold and at best Martinez will get a decent fee for him.

Very, very frustrating. Mourinho is doing his best 'come hither' eyes to Stones and the press are fanning the fuel building him up to be John Terry jr - and this must be causing disruption to the team.

I'm really annoyed, though not surprised, how once we've denied the bid Chelsea are leveraging the press to make it seem an inevitability Stones will move. Constant articles, rumours, all based on the inherent assumption that Stones will be sold and at best Martinez will get a decent fee for him.

Very, very frustrating. Mourinho is doing his best 'come hither' eyes to Stones and the press are fanning the fuel building him up to be John Terry jr - and this must be causing disruption to the team.

Not Chelsea doing that mate. It's the transfer-mad media. It's a juicy story, and Everton are (in terms of transfers) an apparent small, irrelevant entity. Chelsea bidding for one of the best English talents around who happens to not be at Liverpool, City, Utd or Arsenal, is pretty much their wet dream.

He bought 2 and extended the contract of the other i think, throw in buying mcgeady, contract extensions for hibbert and howard and a likely one for gibson and im fully expecting one for osman too, then basically he has shown a utter lack of player judgement

Explain to me what Hibbbert did wrong last season. He came in when required, didn't make any blunders, and played his part well. Even when asked to play left back he did no wrong.

Osman was absolutely crucial when he came back from injury in the spring.

McGeady was a speculative squad depth buy that hasn't worked out.

And you're using hypothetical situations which may or may not happen to extend the fume. Vintage GOT.

Not Chelsea doing that mate. It's the transfer-mad media. It's a juicy story, and Everton are (in terms of transfers) an apparent small, irrelevant entity. Chelsea bidding for one of the best English talents around who happens to not be at Liverpool, City, Utd or Arsenal, is pretty much their wet dream.

What worries me is how they are building him up in the media. The lad is exceptional but still only 21, when he makes a next mistake, no matter what blue shirt it is in, the red tops will scream 'flop' 'another overrated English hype' etc. when all but the very very best have patches of bad form at such a young age. Even if he doesn't go all eyes will be on him. It's what they did to Sterling, to Barkley, Wilshere and before that Rooney, Owen etc.

What worries me is how they are building him up in the media. The lad is exceptional but still only 21, when he makes a next mistake, no matter what blue shirt it is in, the red tops will scream 'flop' 'another overrated English hype' etc. when all but the very very best have patches of bad form at such a young age. Even if he doesn't go all eyes will be on him. It's what they did to Sterling, to Barkley, Wilshere and before that Rooney, Owen etc.

Well like you've said mate, they do it already to all the 'big' British talents. No point in worrying about that as they do it anyway. The only thing we need to worry about this summer is Everton keeping to their decision to say 'No'. I just don't see Stones asking for a move at this point.

questions
Getting rid of fringe players isn't giving us a transfer warchest. If anyone had to go Barkley would be the one we can afford to let go.

I just hope any such sale is done quickly and not with hardly any time to spend it....although I'm sure the board would love that.

Back up to lukaku and and a playmaker needed, Probably have £15mil.

Naismith + McGeady + Kone should fetch about £10mil.

£25mil should buy both players...

Alternatively, just sell McGeady and make a move on Grealish whilst Villa are imploding.

Getting rid of fringe players isn't giving us a transfer warchest. If anyone had to go Barkley would be the one we can afford to let go.

I just hope any such sale is done quickly and not with hardly any time to spend it....although I'm sure the board would love that.

Back up to lukaku and and a playmaker needed, Probably have £15mil.

Naismith + McGeady + Kone should fetch about £10mil.

£25mil should buy both players...

Alternatively, just sell McGeady and make a move on Grealish whilst Villa are imploding.

Kone won't be going anywhere. Nobody will have him. Plus, Grealish isn't all that, especially not for what we need. We need an experienced head in that position.

Someone would take Kone....theres always someone...

Not sure about an experienced head, sometimes you need a fearless young player to come in and just take the game to the opposition.

Who would be your choices for playmaker?

Kone won't be going anywhere. Nobody will have him. Plus, Grealish isn't all that, especially not for what we need. We need an experienced head in that position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back