Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you think we're signing another striker you're in fantasy land. We need two central defenders, and a propernumber 10 - I doubt we can even afford one of those til someone leaves. Martinez rates Kone so in his eyes we have a second striker.

If you think we're signing another striker you're in fantasy land. We need two central defenders, and a propernumber 10 - I doubt we can even afford one of those til someone leaves. Martinez rates Kone so in his eyes we have a second striker.
Sad part is your probably right mate - ah well there always next season !

I'm all for people sharing their opinions and the debate about this etc but I'd love to know how a back up striker would come ahead of a starting playmaker in people's list of priorities? We haven't had a good creative player in an attacking position since Pienaar died and Arteta left, we've been crying out for one for the last 3 seasons! IF Lukaku gets injured, which is an if, then Mirallas, Naismith and Kone can all fill in there, not ideal but they are possible replacements, we haven't got one number 10 in the team and our only creative player that actually plays is Baines. Feels like every transfer window the first thing people automatically jump to is striker, it's like the years and years of people crying out for us to sign Darren Bent and Jermaine Defoe and all that go two up top Moyes rubbish. 4-4-2 doesn't work in the Premier League, maybe against weaker teams at home from time to time, but we need that one player in the hole behind the striker who's actually going to provide service for goal scoring opportuities, because without goal scoring opportunities what's the point in playing a striker anyway?

It was a weird tweet to favourite, a link to an indonesian article from goal.com. Wouldn't be surprised if he did that by mistake.

From Wiki.:coffee:

Virgil van Dijk (born 8 July 1991) is a Dutchfootballer who currently plays as a centre back for Scottish Premiership club Celtic and the Netherlands national football team. He was born to a Dutch Father and Surinamese mother.[1]

The population of Suriname is a mixture of different ethnic groups:

Since everyone are tossing around names of players to replace Kone I will put Gavin Whyte's name in the ring. Went on trail with Everton in May, young, lots of talent and scores goals. (Yes I know in a not very big or good league but has age and skill on his side.) Surely he wouldn't cost much and might be worth the gamble. Before anyone replies with a snide comment saying "have you watched him play a lot" or anything along those lines, no I have not. I've watched game highlights and YouTube videos. Like I said, cheap, talented, young and may be better than Kone.

I'd love Berahino here.
Spurs are rumoured to be making a bid
http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...-as-spurs-look-to-revamp-attack-10417983.html
Tottenham are ready to kick-start a frantic month of activity in the transfer market by making a bid to sign Saido Berahino and Yannick Bolasie.
The hierarchy are determined to back coach Maurico Pochettino in the window and are aware that the squad is too small to compete on all fronts at the moment. Spurs are still looking to offload fringe members of the squad first like Emmanuel Adebayor, Roberto Soldado, Aaron Lennon, Vlad Chiriches, Federico Fazio and Andros Townsend.

But Pochettino will be given funds to rebuild the squad and his priority is to find more players with pace to go into the first team.
West Brom striker Berahino and Crystal Palace winger Bolasie are top of his wish-list, but the club concede that only one of the two is realistic due to their respective asking prices.

Berahino has a £20m valuation on his shoulders, while Palace have put an excessive £40m fee on Bolasie's head in a bid to scare suitors off.

Spurs are rumoured to be making a bid
http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...-as-spurs-look-to-revamp-attack-10417983.html
Tottenham are ready to kick-start a frantic month of activity in the transfer market by making a bid to sign Saido Berahino and Yannick Bolasie.
The hierarchy are determined to back coach Maurico Pochettino in the window and are aware that the squad is too small to compete on all fronts at the moment. Spurs are still looking to offload fringe members of the squad first like Emmanuel Adebayor, Roberto Soldado, Aaron Lennon, Vlad Chiriches, Federico Fazio and Andros Townsend.

But Pochettino will be given funds to rebuild the squad and his priority is to find more players with pace to go into the first team.
West Brom striker Berahino and Crystal Palace winger Bolasie are top of his wish-list, but the club concede that only one of the two is realistic due to their respective asking prices.

Berahino has a £20m valuation on his shoulders, while Palace have put an excessive £40m fee on Bolasie's head in a bid to scare suitors off.
Yeah I know and there's no way we could justify the money but in fantasy land he'd be my back up choice.

I'm all for people sharing their opinions and the debate about this etc but I'd love to know how a back up striker would come ahead of a starting playmaker in people's list of priorities? We haven't had a good creative player in an attacking position since Pienaar died and Arteta left, we've been crying out for one for the last 3 seasons! IF Lukaku gets injured, which is an if, then Mirallas, Naismith and Kone can all fill in there, not ideal but they are possible replacements, we haven't got one number 10 in the team and our only creative player that actually plays is Baines. Feels like every transfer window the first thing people automatically jump to is striker, it's like the years and years of people crying out for us to sign Darren Bent and Jermaine Defoe and all that go two up top Moyes rubbish. 4-4-2 doesn't work in the Premier League, maybe against weaker teams at home from time to time, but we need that one player in the hole behind the striker who's actually going to provide service for goal scoring opportuities, because without goal scoring opportunities what's the point in playing a striker anyway?
To be honest mate if we signed any decent playmaker or striker it would be a huge boost - we have potential playmakers in Barkley and Gerry plus I can see macca getting more forward this year but up front we have nobody only Rom which is no good .. Another striker that could work well with Rom is the best answer I think coz I can't stand another season looking at Kone being gash and ROberto saying how well he played

Since everyone are tossing around names of players to replace Kone I will put Gavin Whyte's name in the ring. Went on trail with Everton in May, young, lots of talent and scores goals. (Yes I know in a not very big or good league but has age and skill on his side.) Surely he wouldn't cost much and might be worth the gamble. Before anyone replies with a snide comment saying "have you watched him play a lot" or anything along those lines, no I have not. I've watched game highlights and YouTube videos. Like I said, cheap, talented, young and may be better than Kone.
What happened after his trial ?

Yeah I know and there's no way we could justify the money but in fantasy land he'd be my back up choice.
He is still young so might just be something he grows out of but bit concerned he might go off the rails at some point. If we hadn't got Lukaku I really fancied Bony as our striker but that ship has sailed.

Slightly surprised no-one has come in for Joel Campbell.

'Since Pienaar died' lol

I wouldn't say a striker is ahead of a playmaker for me as a priority, I'd say it's level though. Two up front can work in the Premier League, I'm fairly sure you'll see City and Liverpool playing two up front a lot of the time this season. Our main problem most of the time is how isolated Lukaku gets on his own up front, another striker would solve this just as much as a 'no. 10' linking the midfield and attack would.

Your point about Mirallas, Naismith and Kone filling in for Lukaku, I'd say they'd be of similar use in that role as Barkley, Osman or Cleverley would in the no 10 role.

We're crying out for both of these types of players tbh, I think it's redundant debating which one should be prioritised because in my opinion we desperately need both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back