Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest mate if we signed any decent playmaker or striker it would be a huge boost - we have potential playmakers in Barkley and Gerry plus I can see macca getting more forward this year but up front we have nobody only Rom which is no good .. Another striker that could work well with Rom is the best answer I think coz I can't stand another season looking at Kone being gash and ROberto saying how well he played

We never play two up front yet play a number 10, Barkley isn't a creative midfielder and Deulofeu's a winger. Playmaker is a must mate.

He is still young so might just be something he grows out of but bit concerned he might go off the rails at some point. If we hadn't got Lukaku I really fancied Bony as our striker but that ship has sailed.

Slightly surprised no-one has come in for Joel Campbell.
Yeah he looked very good at Olymiakos and then at the WC. Doesn't seem to have come close to getting near the Arsenal team though which raises concerns.

'Since Pienaar died' lol

I wouldn't say a striker is ahead of a playmaker for me as a priority, I'd say it's level though. Two up front can work in the Premier League, I'm fairly sure you'll see City and Liverpool playing two up front a lot of the time this season. Our main problem most of the time is how isolated Lukaku gets on his own up front, another striker would solve this just as much as a 'no. 10' linking the midfield and attack would.

Your point about Mirallas, Naismith and Kone filling in for Lukaku, I'd say they'd be of similar use in that role as Barkley, Osman or Cleverley would in the no 10 role.

We're crying out for both of these types of players tbh, I think it's redundant debating which one should be prioritised because in my opinion we desperately need both.

I'd agree with you there mate.

The main point I was trying to make is that for the time being (my opinion on it aside) we don't play two up front. However, we do play a number 10. A number 10 in my eyes is someone of the David Silva, Juan Mata style of player. I'm not saying we can get someone as good as them and I know that any player worth his salt in that position tends to go for astronomical prices compared to what we usually spend on players. The two who have been mentioned in this thread before who I'd love to see us take a gamble on are Praet and Ziyech, there's also a lad who played for Elche last season named Rodriguez who I think would be worth a punt. I don't think we need to break the bank, but it's a position full of risk, it can either work out or not in terms of buying the right player and also the role itself is one that carries the risk of not coming off 100% of the time, but I think it's something we do need to look into more than a striker. Although a back up striker is badly needed, the important words in that sentence are 'back up'.

Yeah he looked very good at Olymiakos and then at the WC. Doesn't seem to have come close to getting near the Arsenal team though which raises concerns.
Was good in the recent Gold Cup as well - as you say though Wenger usually pretty shrewd with his attackers and perhaps he is one of those players that isn't really suited to the premier league? Moyes has apparently make a bid although his record with defenders is much better than his forward options.
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/david-moye...nger-must-make-joel-campbell-decision-1512766
Joel Campbell would be the icing on the cake for Moyes' Real Sociedad. He showed his skills during the last World Cup and proved his worth in La Liga when he played for Real Betis on loan. Real Sociedad offered Arsenal £5.7m ($8.8m) a month ago, but Arsene Wenger has not given any response yet, and the Basque side's board of directors are starting to feel anxious.

The Costa Rica international is Moyes' first option to lead his attack as a centre forward – despite normally playing as a winger – but pre-season goes by quickly and if the Gunners do not accept the bid, the Basques will try to sign De Jesus. Real Sociedad have visited White Hart Lane as well to ask about Roberto Soldado's situation, but the chances of the Spaniard returning to La Liga are slim.

Was good in the recent Gold Cup as well - as you say though Wenger usually pretty shrewd with his attackers and perhaps he is one of those players that isn't really suited to the premier league? Moyes has apparently make a bid although his record with defenders is much better than his forward options.
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/david-moye...nger-must-make-joel-campbell-decision-1512766
Joel Campbell would be the icing on the cake for Moyes' Real Sociedad. He showed his skills during the last World Cup and proved his worth in La Liga when he played for Real Betis on loan. Real Sociedad offered Arsenal £5.7m ($8.8m) a month ago, but Arsene Wenger has not given any response yet, and the Basque side's board of directors are starting to feel anxious.

The Costa Rica international is Moyes' first option to lead his attack as a centre forward – despite normally playing as a winger – but pre-season goes by quickly and if the Gunners do not accept the bid, the Basques will try to sign De Jesus. Real Sociedad have visited White Hart Lane as well to ask about Roberto Soldado's situation, but the chances of the Spaniard returning to La Liga are slim.
For 6m I'd definitely take him like. Arsenal would definitely charge us more though I'd imagine.

Why is Martinez obsessed with wingers, we are one Lukaku injury or sale away from a relegation scrap?

“We are still looking for two positions, our squad is not complete, and we need to make sure they fit in exactly in our group as we expect,” Martinez explained.

“We lost two centre-halves so we need to fill those gaps. I'm still assessing two of the young players we have in the squad. I have been very impressed in the last two weeks and I do feel that one of the two is ready to stay in the first-team. So maybe we need one new face in at centre-half and then, in another position, we will still be lightweight and will wait as long as we can to select the right person.”

A centre half and a winger then, yep that's what cost us that champs lgue place werent it?

He is completely out of touch with reality, our team has such a limited goal threat, and is solely reliant on an inconsistent striker.
i dont see where he mentions the word winger anywhere. Also, obsessed is a bit much. We have three, and one of them is McGeady.

I'd agree with you there mate.

The main point I was trying to make is that for the time being (my opinion on it aside) we don't play two up front. However, we do play a number 10. A number 10 in my eyes is someone of the David Silva, Juan Mata style of player. I'm not saying we can get someone as good as them and I know that any player worth his salt in that position tends to go for astronomical prices compared to what we usually spend on players. The two who have been mentioned in this thread before who I'd love to see us take a gamble on are Praet and Ziyech, there's also a lad who played for Elche last season named Rodriguez who I think would be worth a punt. I don't think we need to break the bank, but it's a position full of risk, it can either work out or not in terms of buying the right player and also the role itself is one that carries the risk of not coming off 100% of the time, but I think it's something we do need to look into more than a striker. Although a back up striker is badly needed, the important words in that sentence are 'back up'.

Can't disagree, have you seen much of Praet? I certainly wouldn't be adverse to signing him if he's as good as some are saying, and I know he won the Belgian First Division player of the year award last season so he certainly has ability. We definitely need a tricky little player who can play on the left and we just generally need a new face in our attack as it's looking rather stale.

My twelve year old daughter asked me 2 years " why do you support Everton dad " and followed with why don't you support Man Utd like normal daddies !! Didn't really have an answer for her so brought her to Goodison for the Utd game when we beat them 2-0 and now she gets it - as Everton fans we have to be optimistic and always hope tomorrow will bring some good news - here's hoping !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back