Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need at least 4 first 11 players. We finished 11th why wouldnt that team need impoving?

Howard Jagielka Barry need replacing and we need a number 10 and a quality winger.

Coleman Stones ......... Baines
McCarthy
Barkley ...........
.......... Lukaku Mirallas

Robles, Jagielka, Besic, Cleverley, Deulofeu, Lennon, ..........

Clearly Jagielka doesn't need replacing just yet and Cleverley is a starter for us.

Agree we need a new GK (although I doubt we're getting one).

We only need one starting XI player and that's a left sided winger/playmaker whatever.

Then we need two squad players, a CB and a centre forward.

On last season's form? No. Doesn't mean they won't/can't regain the same form. People just seem to keep forgetting we're no worse off squad wise than when we came 5th.

Except Barry is and everyone is 2 years older and not as good. McCarthy and Mirallas arguably don't want to be here (pinch of salt) of course. Tim Howard has forgotten what his job is. Stones might not be here (probably will). And then the back up to that first 11 is miles off being good enough.

The squad is similar, possibly no worse off, but certainly miles off being better.

Maybe we should get the 1989 league winning side back in?

Except Barry is and everyone is 2 years older and not as good. McCarthy and Mirallas arguably don't want to be here (pinch of salt) of course. Tim Howard has forgotten what his job is. Stones might not be here (probably will). And then the back up to that first 11 is miles off being good enough.

The squad is similar, possibly no worse off, but certainly miles off being better.

but all our youngsters like stones, barkley, mccarthy, lukaku are 2 years older and not teenager age anymore.

We need at least 4 first 11 players. We finished 11th why wouldnt that team need impoving?

Howard Jagielka Barry need replacing and we need a number 10 and a quality winger.

McCarthy
Barkley ...........

Jagielka, Player of the season, needs replacing? Why?

Wrong forum, not Everton related.

The only nailed on starters for me if all fit and up for it (in the case of Mirallas) are -

Coleman
Jagielka
Stones
Baines
McCarthy
Lukaku
Mirallas

The rest of the places are up for grabs and also dependent on what formation he is playing. Also think Cleverly will be added to that list very shortly.

The only nailed on starters for me if all fit and up for it (in the case of Mirallas) are -

Coleman
Jagielka
Stones
Baines
McCarthy
Lukaku
Mirallas

The rest of the places are up for grabs and also dependent on what formation he is playing. Also think Cleverly will be added to that list very shortly.

I think Barkley and Howard will also be included here.

Problem is we have probably invested in one player that could challenge/take a first team spot (Del). Cleverly may do that if Martinez drops Barry or McCarthey is sold. Most teams around us are targeting players that will either improve their first 11 or provide a very strong 16 man squad, unfortunately for us we seem to be doing neither. Considering that last season it was clear we needed 4-5 players to challenge or improve the 1st eleven.

I'm excited by the young talent we have at this club and I would love to see them get game time but the bigger picture is we need players who are ready now.

Coleman
Jagielka
Stones
Baines
McCarthy
Lukaku
Mirallas

Definitely agree with this. Not so sure about Cleverley but will be overjoyed if he makes the grade.

Looking at that list of definite starters gives you an idea of where we need to address not only the starting 11 but also squad depth too. We need CB cover and RB cover so that Browning and Galloway can go out on loan; we're okay at LB (Oviedo) and also in central midfield (Besic, Barry, possibly Barkley, possibly Cleverley) but we are horribly weak on the wings (McGeady, Pienaar, Deulofeu) and somewhat unproven at 10 (Osman, Barkley, maybe Cleverley). I wouldn't worry QUITE so much about striker because I believe that both Naismith and Mirallas can play there if necessary. For that to work however, we need more wings and someone to take the 10 spot away from Naismith permanently

One thing that does strike me looking at that list of definite starters is that there is one name on there who is getting on a bit in terms of age, and has NO cover at the moment: Jagielka. We got very, very lucky with Stones - it would be madness to rely on Galloway being ready to start 40 games a season before Jags starts to tail off.

McCarthy
Barkley ...........

Jagielka needs replacing?????

*Goes on a long walk*

Jagielka needs replacing?????

*Goes on a long walk*
Serious question mate - how many seasons do you thinks Jags has left making 40+ starts at Prem level? I reckon that (barring any serious injury) he's got two seasons at his current standard, one at a slight drop off and then one where he will show substantial decline.

Galloway and Browning are not the right partners for Stones quite yet - both could do with going out on loan and getting regular starts in order to push their development. Sitting on the bench for us and getting ten minutes once every five or six games for the next two years is not the way to maximise their development.

So I think we should be looking for someone around the 23 to 26 years old range, who could come in and make 20 starts a season if injury to Stones or Jags necessitated it. And wouldn't it be a good idea for that incoming player to be approaching the standard good enough to ease Jags out of the starting lineup in the next two to three years? I don't see the point in waiting until it becomes urgent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back