Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't get your hopes up LL Shaqiri has said that Schalke "are a great club" and the only thing that is holding the transfer up is wages and valuation but I doubt they are far apart. My guess is both Shaqiri and Inter will have to drop a bit but the transfer will be done.
Not got a set opinion one way or the other on Shaqiri, haven't seen enough of him to judge how he'd work in our team tbh.

But Inter apparently have to pay 16m Euro for him at the end of the summer to Bayern (plus their loan fee) and are short of funds - Schalke are only offering 13m which, although not horrendous, is a reasonable difference to bridge. Hence the instruction to reconsider Stoke who are offering 17m Euros.

Not got a set opinion one way or the other on Shaqiri, haven't seen enough of him to judge how he'd work in our team tbh.

But Inter apparently have to pay 16m Euro for him at the end of the summer to Bayern (plus their loan fee) and are short of funds - Schalke are only offering 13m which, although not horrendous, is a reasonable difference to bridge. Hence the instruction to reconsider Stoke who are offering 17m Euros.
But if the player refuses to go to Stoke there's nothing Inter can do and as you said 13m Euros is better than him sitting in the stands and them getting nothing.

It's a bit like Lennon being told to sign for Stoke and Lennon holding out to be transferred to us although in that case Spurs could in theory like Utd did with Cleverly just refuse out of pig-headedness since they could afford it however Inter can't.

A compromise is the more likely outcome in both cases.

But if the player refuses to go to Stoke there's nothing Inter can do and as you said 13m Euros is better than him sitting in the stands and them getting nothing.

It's a bit like Lennon being told to sign for Stoke and Lennon holding out to be transferred to us although in that case Spurs could in theory like Utd did with Cleverly just refuse out of pig-headedness since they could afford it however Inter can't.

A compromise is the more likely outcome in both cases.
It is if each side has room to compromise. Inter seem to have signed an unusual lot of players this window (as have several of the Italian teams), perhaps they have over committed?

Inter seem desperately eager to dump a player who only joined 6 months ago which just smells fishy to me - either behind the scenes trouble or really bad financial issues.

It is if each side has room to compromise. Inter seem to have signed an unusual lot of players this window (as have several of the Italian teams), perhaps they have over committed?

Inter seem desperately eager to dump a player who only joined 6 months ago which just smells fishy to me - either behind the scenes trouble or really bad financial issues.
Inter are in a mess financially. There's no doubt about that but still I think they still have room to compromise. Besides if they don't it means the player stays so either way we aren't getting him.

same team finished 5th as it did 11th.

in fact these players got us to our record points total.

but they aren't very good are they? are we no better than anyone else? 12 months ago these players were our future and now all I seem to see is overrated or not good enough or whatever else.

yes we are apparently trying to sign a playmaker and a winger. We also need a new defender, we are in that as well. seems the manager is already aware of what he needs in the team, he just haven't signed them yet for whatever reason there is.

But no one came in for lukaku? considering we just signed him for 28 million our asking price for him would be far too high for any club to sign him right now. so that's a bit of a silly comment to make to be fair. baines isn't wanted anymore because he is the wrong age for the price he would go for when there is younger alternatives, for example the lad Chelsea just signed. could go on about that as well but won't do

Aye same team did finish 5th then 11th, that trend shoukd tell you exatly why the first 11 and squad isnt goid enough without serious strengthening mate, we went backwards massively last season as the squad age caught up with us, win will after ten games this season be in bad trouble unless we address this before the season gets underway

Or by spending it prudently
As we have done so far: £5m(ish) for two players who are fair bets to step into the starting lineup?

In case it has escaped your notice, the market is currently in silly season. There's not a lot of opportunities for prudent spending when Connor Wickham sells for £9m, Robbie Brady (no, me neither) sells for nearly the same amount and Ashley Williams carries a £25m price tag. We just have to wait for the wave of silly signings to subside.

Mate we need new blood really really badly.

I think we need varience mate, a player or two to offer us a different angle of approach or dimension when plan a isnt working. But we dont need much to progress the team, the team will be fine next Saturday. All fit we have a very talented squad, that will progress. Continuity and cohesion are as important as new players. We also have a big squad, it would take something special to improve us, which is a great position to be in.

I think we need varience mate, a player or two to offer us a different angle of approach or dimension when plan a isnt working. But we dont need much to progress the team, the team will be fine next Saturday. All fit we have a very talented squad, that will progress. Continuity and cohesion are as important as new players. We also have a big squad, it would take something special to improve us, which is a great position to be in.

I'm tempted to "like" your post (aren't you the lucky one!) but I have a difficulty with the "big squad" thing, when a significant number are either semi disabled or infants.

....I wonder if we are in for a busy and interesting last few hours of the window. Seems to be plenty of enquiries suggesting we are interested but not at prices on offer, that situation can change as the window shuts.

....I wonder if we are in for a busy and interesting last few hours of the window. Seems to be plenty of enquiries suggesting we are interested but not at prices on offer, that situation can change as the window shuts.
Absolutely. It's all about brinkmanship, that's why deadline day is so busy. You can take negotiations to the wire, but not beyond it.

It stands to reason that the higher the transfer fee, the more both sides play hardball.

So I think there's at least one big signing to come.

Or we use the line that we had money to spend but not at overinflated prices so will go with what we have.

Not directed at you mate but its amazing me how many of our fans are ignoring how bad we were last season and thinking were fine with the squad if no one else arrives, we have no left winger, no creativity at all, no depth at cb, rb, striker, and little proper depth at most other positions, yet weve moved none of the dross out, brought 2 bits of potential and one journeyman player in. This as it stands is gonna be a long, hard season with teams setting up against us as was prooved to work easily last year, weve done nothing to address any of the issues we faced at all

If we offerred the same as Stoke 12m GBP/17m Euro and the player wanted to come why not?
Because the player doesn't want to come. For some reason he doesn't seem to like the premiership. He turned down Liverpool who were willing to pay more than Inter.

I suppose it might happen but it's the least likely outcome. The ironic thing is I think he would be perfect for the premiership were the games aren't quite as tactical and there's generally more space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back