Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently there is a rumour on utd forums re mata to us. Pinch of salt obviously but I would imagine it means stones the other way.
salt-1.jpg

How exactly did I compare them? I was stating rejecting a player of Morrison's quality because he's an arse is a bad idea to me, just like skipping over Ronaldo would be (talent but in my eyes a p**k on the pitch).
Comparing Morrison to Ronaldo. Oh my days. Ronaldo knows drugs are bad and is a model professional with training. He's also one of the best players on the planet. Morrison on the other hand

How exactly did I compare them? I was stating rejecting a player of Morrison's quality because he's an arse is a bad idea to me, just like skipping over Ronaldo would be (talent but in my eyes a p**k on the pitch).

Just stop.
There couldn't be two more polar opposites in terms of professionalism.

So I was quite bored this arvo and posted a bit of a write up here: http://goodisongossip.com/index.php?threads/summer-15-16-general-transfer-thread.55/#post-464 Having a bit of a look into our potential targets, they're not in any specific order, some of them we may not have even been linked they may just be a player who I'd like to sign or are a realistic target I feel would suit us. I was really quite curious to see who everyone thinks we should sign I thought I'd chuck it on in here too.

Aleksandar Dragovic, 24yo - Estimated Value: £12m

A really smart "modern" defender who reads the play really well, due to these smarts he's became really good at intercepting opposition passes, always defends the correct angles and times his tackles well. He's not a ball playing defender but is quite a good passer, he has averaged a very solid 87.8 percent pass completion rate over his last four European campaigns with Basel and Dynamo. He's not an overly physical defender which is his main weakness. How he would go shoulder to shoulder with strikers like Costa, Kane, Benteke and co could be real worry.

Hector Moreno, 27yo - Estimated Value: £6m

Was very highly rated after some very impressive performances on the big screen at the World Cup last year but unfortunately broke his leg and dropped off everyone's radar since. Gives it his all every game and will put 100 percent into every challenge but another player who does have question marks over the physical side of his game. I don't think he'd be good enough to try and take over Jags or to be a regular starter but if we were just looking for a good back up defender he'd be a more than handy back up that would really improve the squad balance. He wouldn't get into the road of Browning and Galloway's development either.

Virgil van Dijk, 24yo - Estimated Value: £9m

One of the best defenders gong forward on the market and would suit our tactics to a tee. I also really like the fact he's 6ft 4, not only is he a threat for corners going forward but he would add some much needed height down back and would help dealing with opposition crosses and corners, something we were quite poor at dealing with last season. Now a lot of people worry that he's only playing in the SPL but you can only beat what's put in front of you, he's performed equally as well in the Champions League against some very good sides and was getting rave reviews when he was playing as a youngster in the Eredivisie. My biggest concern is him trying over-do things and will take to many risks going forward I'd hate for Martinez to give him a license to go take a lot of risks and make mistakes like he gave Barkley because there's a big difference wth Barkley losing the ball trying to play a ball into the box to find someone and a last defender taking someone on. If Roberto managed him well and teaches him when to go and when not to we could have a damn good center half on our side.

Jonny Evans, 27yo - Estimated Value: £8m

No where near as bad as people make him out to be, when he was first becoming a regular at Old Trafford he was really impressing and he did quite well under a much better ran United under Sir Alex Ferguson but he never built off of that which was the real let down for United fans. Although he's got a load of experience, really good pedigree, is Northern Ireland's captain, a good tackler, good in the air and something that never gets a mention is he's real good at playing long balls and passing it out of the backline. He's not going to set things on fire but he is generally is a good proven player.He's quite injury prone which has to be a concern, we need to have someone who's fit and available when ever they're needed.

Thomas Heurtaux, 27yo - Estimated Value: £5m

In all honesty I've had to do quite a bit of research on Heurtaux as I'd never seen him play before. It seems as though he will move on from Udinese this window, has recently been linked with moves to Juventus and AC Milan (shows he's rated in Italy). It's also reported he'd like to join Watford who is owned by the by the same man as Udinese. As for his style he's a bit of a no-nonsense defender, good defensively and one v one, passing apparently not the best. Another one who's not going to set the world a-light but can put in a shift and shouldn't cost a heap so we could save money to spend elsewhere.

Kara Mbodj, 25yo - Estimated Value: £6m

A very good athlete, 6ft 3, quick, mobile and very versatile. He can also play as a central and defensive midfielder or at right back. As you would presume for a player with his stature he's good in the air. Although he does need to learn to be smarter and learn to use his size and strength to his advantage. He’s strong, quick and seemingly suited to the English game with great physical attributes, a good player in the Belgium Pro league and can play in many positions, but he's really not outstanding in one. Kara is also prone to defensive mishap and can be sloppy at times.

Marc Bartra, 24yo - Estimated Value: £8m

Has a reported buy-out clause of around £8m which would make him quite a bargain. A player with fantastic pedigree, he's learnt his trade from some of footballs best coaches & players and has came through arguably the top academy in football. He's a complete defender and despite not having any stand out strengths he's well rounded across all aspects required to be a class defender. Has failed to make his stamp at Barca and hasn't been able to become a regular starter but there's no shame in that, he's still a very good player and has room for improvement. He reportedly would be interested in a move from Barca but he would demand to start every week and right now I don't think he would. He's not going to move from sitting on the bench at Barca to come sit on our bench instead.

Joel Veltman, 23yo - Estimated Value: £7m

Was constantly highly rated as a junior coming through the Ajax academy, 12 months ago he was getting linked with the likes of Arsenal and United. Still yet to take that step to becoming an "elite defender" but he does have the ability. He's at a good age where he's still young and learning but he's had a few seasons as a starter at Ajax, has 7 caps for Holland and has a good amount of experience to be ready to take that next step into the Premier League. As for his style Joel he's a super passer, had a crazy successful pass completion rate of 93.6 percent last season. WhoScored.com gave him an average rating of 7.59 in the Eredivisie last season. I read a stat he had a higher successful dribble completion rate than both Ronaldo and Pogba. His biggest and main weakness is awareness and has developed a bit of a rep of making some quite bad defensive errors. Quite similar to his fellow countryman Van Djik he's fantastic going forward and would really suit our tactics but we would need to put quite a bit of work into improve the defensive side of his game to eliminate those errors he to often makes.

Tyias Browning, 21yo - Estimated Value: Free

Whilst he's an Everton player I wanted to include him into this because we would be signing a center back with them coming into the squad as a third choice CB. Two or three months ago Tyias wasn't even in the first team picture really but he started the pre-season earlier than required, stepped up and performed well when ever he played and didn't put a foot wrong. I'm really starting to think he can make it as a first teamer. This would also allow us to save money to spend elsewhere.

-- Personally I think we need to sign the best option possible for our budget, some people are saying we should get in someone older to fill the gap until Browning and Galloway step up, some think we need to find a Jags replacement whilst others feel Browning deserves the place. I think Browning should go out on loan and get a full season of starting under his belt, the experience will really help him and I feel he needs a bit of work on his positioning, awareness, becoming more vocal and even his passing before he can become a really good player so by going out on loan and working on those areas he has the potential to come back as an important part of our squad.

As I said just before we should just go and look for the best player we can afford and a player who's preferably in the 23-28yo bracket so they're ready to go but hasn't passed their peak. We've lost two centrebacks, Jags is nearly 33, if Stones continues to get better and better sadly he will eventually go and Browning & Galloway are still unproven so I don't just want a quick fix, we need a good defender who we can rely on and can make an impact for our first team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back