Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had a quick look at BBC -

Leicester - about to sign Inler after adding 2 players already this week, Sunderland in for Januzaj, even Bournemouth spending 10M on a young striker.....whilst all around goodison not a mouse could be heard![/QUOTE

.......one dubious report saying we are in for Januzaj as well. Same old.

Let's be negative then and boo every time one of the players make a mistake. That's definitely going to help.

Say what you want about Liverpool, but when the team are playing badly and the Kop starts to belt out You'll Never Walk Alone, it gives the players a real lift. I wish we had that.
I was always the one that said we shouldn't be booing so I don't know why that's directed at me or what relevance that has.

What sort of logic is that?? Is that what happened on your Football manager season?

I think it's a fair assumption to say that if we can't get something out of the Watford game especially, then the brutality of the rest of our other first games is probably going to leave us low down the table.

Obviously it's easy to get carried away (like Adversus might have...). This is football and this is Everton; we'll probably lose 3-0 to Watford then smash City, Spurs and Chelsea all over the show.

What sort of logic is that?? Is that what happened on your Football manager season?
Look at the points totals from last season in the fixtures we play in the first 10 games.

We got 7 points. Even if we win against Watford that will make 10 points and that's including a win against Utd at home.

Take away the win against Watford and Utd (which is likely) and it would leave us with 4 points. Which is definitely potentially bottom which is why Watford is so important.

I can never quite get this poorer league thing,sadly when on the occasions in European competitions when we come up against these teams from poorer leagues we don't seem to get to the later stages
They are poorer leagues because while the top teams in those leagues can match our top teams and even beat them those leagues don't have the strength throughout the league. It's the reason why European competitions is no indication of the league in general.

Look at the points totals from last season in the fixtures we play in the first 10 games.

We got 7 points. Even if we win against Watford that will make 10 points and that's including a win against Utd at home.

Take away the win against Watford and Utd (which is likely) and it would leave us with 4 points. Which is definitely potentially bottom which is why Watford is so important.

Yeah, but if every team got exactly the same results every season I don't think we'd be watching much football.

I see what you're doing but it's impossible to stand by such a projection as confidently as your language suggests.

Yeah, but if every team got exactly the same results every season I don't think we'd be watching much football.

I see what you're doing but it's impossible to stand by such a projection as confidently as your language suggests.
You are right of course but past history can also be used as a guide to future results too. Thinking that we will somehow improve drastically on the results of last season when those teams have strengthened when we haven't solved our main issues is a little too much optimistic thinking for my liking. My point is that I would prefer a strategy that didn't require blind hope.

Deadline day comes after over 10% of the season has been played. Say we get a couple in and they aren't ready for a few weeks then a big chunk of the season has already gone before we get any benefit. It's not as if the early start this season has just been sprung on us. I am hoping our business is sorted next week with us thinking we have enough for Watford now. Lose against Watford (not a chance btw) and I can't see Bobby seeing the month out.

You are right of course but past history can also be used as a guide to future results too. Thinking that we will somehow improve drastically on the results of last season when those teams have strengthened when we haven't solved our main issues is a little too much optimistic thinking for my liking. My point is that I would prefer a strategy that didn't require blind hope.

You need to think a bit more 'phenomenally'.

THIS 100%

New season new start! We start well against Watford & Saints and we are in good stead for the difficult games

They are poorer leagues because while the top teams in those leagues can match our top teams and even beat them those leagues don't have the strength throughout the league. It's the reason why European competitions is no indication of the league in general.
They are the only yardstick we have,and if you look back through are history in European comps.Spain.Italy,Holland, Portugal.........etc.and not against their top sides either.

But these teams that have strengthened need time to bed new players and a new system in in competitive games.
Surely a team that knows each other as a team and knows each others game will help against teams finding there best team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back