Transfer Rumour Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love him or loathe him, you cant deny his great career. As previous posters said, he is his club and countrys leading goalscorer, won every domestic trophy and a chaps league. Yes, he has played in a top team with great players around him, but he has had to be a good player to play at a top club. Well done to him I say.
If he had won a World cup or Euros then he would certainly push for Englands greatest ever player.

We knew he could do it. Shame it wasnt for us.

If he had won a World cup or Euros then he would certainly push for Englands greatest ever player.

I dont think he is one of Englands greatest, but is up there with the best of his generation. Just a fantastic goalscoring record, cant deny him that.

The Everton radio clip of his goal against Arsenal is an incredible bit of commentary, still brilliant even now.

"Unleashed a SUPREME dipping shot"

I dont think many blame him for leaving really, I don't. It's more about how it went about. The behind the scenes stuff and his immaturity soon after. I think he's grown up massively and it would have taken guts to come back for Ferguson's testimonial. Always felt he was testing the the water.

Pleased for him yesterday. All water under the bridge now, though how I wish we could add an 18 year old Wayne to this current squad.

He came through during a desperate period for the club.
Would I have him back - No.
I would sooner we gave Lookman games or attempt to unearth another gem.

I hope the current crop of superstar youngsters can build a formidable side now, without the fear of needing to appease the banks that we have struggled with in the past couple of decades.

Vs Forrest...he came from Blackburn
Aye Degsy ... I corrected myself shortly after. In fact, I should have realised the schoolboy mistake before first post, especially since I was also at Goodison when Fred stuffed us when Blackburn beat us 4 - 2 a few months before the transfer (and a few weeks after Burnley had also beaten us 4 -3, the first time I had ever seen Everton beaten - tears that day!) . As for Nottingham Forest, it seems like we used to get 6 against them at Goodison on a fairly regular basis in that era.

People still think he's going to come back, Christ almighty.
This, even if we could afford his current wages - He could get so much more playing in China for a year or two.

He'd have to want to come back and play on just about the bare minimum for his standards, which won't happen.

Said this before but I don't think he'll be truly acknowledged as a great until he retires. It did make me laugh last night on MOTD tho when Shearer said Rooney would play for 50p a week as he loves the game that much!

Said this before but I don't think he'll be truly acknowledged as a great until he retires. It did make me laugh last night on MOTD tho when Shearer said Rooney would play for 50p a week as he loves the game that much!
Yeah, all that model professional stuff was total bs. Stretford must have loved that. Engineered his way out of GP, held Man U to ransom not once but twice. Nailed on to end his career in China or the States.

All things said and done, leaving Everton (in the state that we were in at the time) was probably the best outcome for both parties.

A top top quality footballer on his day, one of the best I've ever seen live and I'm happy he managed to reach the expectations put on him as a teenager.

As for him joining Everton, I'm torn. The 10 year old in me that cried for hours when he left screams yes, but the sensible part of me reminds me of his wages and how badly his form has dipped over the past 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back