Transfer Rumour Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
The term 'Retirement home' when it comes to football clubs is a negative term/phrase that intimates a bad signing, an over-the-hill player who is past his best.

Ashley Williams is certainly not that. He's a leader, a quality defender, and someone whose experience helps our teams. Plus defenders can play longer than players further forward on the pitch, due to their position and what's expected of them.

Wayne Rooney has been very poor for about 2 seasons now and is a shadow of his former self. His pace has gone, his hunger has gone. I don't want us having an immobile past-his-best striker playing for us. Someone we'd have to pay upwards of £20m for, and pay wages approaching at least £100k a week. Someone who didn't want to give his best years to us, gave them to someone else, and now would deign us with his presence in patronising fashion.

He's not what we need. Him signing would send an absolutely terrible message on many levels.
The comment was we are not a retirement home which indicated we don't sign older players again
I don't think he has been rubbish for 2 years, his form has dipped over the last season and was put under the spotlight during the Euros.
As I said he would bring quality to most teams, that includes us

I have two abiding memories of Uniteds captain, both took place directly in front me.
The first was a fresh faced lad scoring a cracker v Arsenal.
The second was a fat faced oaf glaring in my general direction and kissing the manc badge after scoring against us.
The first was unforgettable .
The second was unforgivable .
The only time fathead should ever return to Goodison (apart from being the mancs captain) is as a spectator.

The comment was we are not a retirement home which indicated we don't sign older players again
I don't think he has been rubbish for 2 years, his form has dipped over the last season and was put under the spotlight during the Euros.
As I said he would bring quality to most teams, that includes us
Agreed.

this is all hypothetical obviously but for Rooney's sake he needs to move to find motivation. He's won everything there is to win domestically with United and he'll never get another big contract unless he goes to China or somewhere like that which he's still far too good for so where does his motivation come from now. The only thing left to bring out the best in him again - and i genuinely mean this - is a move back to us and play for love for the badge/club. I'd offer him 2 Years, give him the number 9 shirt and let him lead us into a new era under Farhad.

been saying this for about 2 years.

He would be a fantastic signing for commercial reasons, he's only 31!! FFS Don't think it will happen though, too much money involved.

this is all hypothetical obviously but for Rooney's sake he needs to move to find motivation. He's won everything there is to win domestically with United and he'll never get another big contract unless he goes to China or somewhere like that which he's still far too good for so where does his motivation come from now. The only thing left to bring out the best in him again - and i genuinely mean this - is a move back to us and play for love for the badge/club. I'd offer him 2 Years, give him the number 9 shirt and let him lead us into a new era under Farhad.

Totally agree with this...

Totally agree with this...
If we're going to spend money, I feel we can do better and it'd be a backward step now.

I saw him at Dunc's testimonial and he was good and even 12 months ago, I'd possibly have agreed with you, but not now.

Personally, I simply do not think he's now good enough in each of the positions people are suggesting therefore it's a no from me.

That's before all the blatantly obvious financial stumbling blocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back