Transfer Rumour Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rooney would compliment Lukaku very well, playing off him would give us more than we have now.

As stated, whether we could prize him away is the question. I think if he knew he was off from United he would happily come here rather than China, it's whether United would be willing to sell.

Rooney would compliment Lukaku very well, playing off him would give us more than we have now.

As stated, whether we could prize him away is the question. I think if he knew he was off from United he would happily come here rather than China, it's whether United would be willing to sell.
i think United would bite ours - or anyone elses hand off just to free up his wages mate. I think it'll just depends if Rooney wants to move or not.

On paper it works but realistically im not so sure. He doesnt seem to compliment Ibrahimovic or Kane very well so im not sure why he would do ok with Lukaku.

A few years ago maybe.

i think United would bite ours - or anyone elses hand off just to free up his wages mate. I think it'll just depends if Rooney wants to move or not.

I meant sell for a decent price.

I also don't believe that United are so 'eager' to sell as plenty suggest. They know what he's capable of. With how boring United have been last 2/3 years, if Mourinho doesn't last, the new manager will get more from Rooney.

On paper it works but realistically im not so sure. He doesnt seem to compliment Ibrahimovic or Kane very well so im not sure why he would do ok with Lukaku.

A few years ago maybe.

Ibra Kane and Rooney all want the ball to feet though, none of them really make tonnes of runs in behind defences. Lukaku for me is at his best when he's facing the goal, running onto things, getting on to things. His back to goal play is average.

Rooney is the opposite for me, he is great at controlling the ball, bringing others into play, Lukaku could feed off that. Rooney isn't going to be making many runs in behind, or at least he hasn't been for years (this could be down to not being the main striker though).

Just think it would take some of the 'hold up play' responsibility of Lukaku, leaving him further up the field and having an intelligent footballer with him who can hold it up like a Striker should would work.

Yeah, like the two managers before him. Why are we kidding ourselves, the lad's not good anymore

Both of whom played boring negative football. Ferguson knew exactly how to play him. In no way do United play to Rooney's strengths like they used to. Just because things aren't going for him at the moment does NOT make him a bad footballer.

The same for Barkley during his rough spells.

Sometimes a player needs a change of routine and a change of scenery. Look at Pienaar, clicked for him with us but awful at Spurs.

Ibra Kane and Rooney all want the ball to feet though, none of them really make tonnes of runs in behind defences. Lukaku for me is at his best when he's facing the goal, running onto things, getting on to things. His back to goal play is average.

Rooney is the opposite for me, he is great at controlling the ball, bringing others into play, Lukaku could feed off that. Rooney isn't going to be making many runs in behind, or at least he hasn't been for years (this could be down to not being the main striker though).

Just think it would take some of the 'hold up play' responsibility of Lukaku, leaving him further up the field and having an intelligent footballer with him who can hold it up like a Striker should would work.

It could work, I just think you could get a better player to do it. If it was a straight two man forward line then fine but further back I dont think Rooney is an upgrade on Barkley in his current guise.

It could work, I just think you could get a better player to do it. If it was a straight two man forward line then fine but further back I dont think Rooney is an upgrade on Barkley in his current guise.

Rooney and Barkley are different players though, we need more options. Rooney would be more of a second striker rather than a slightly pushed up midfielder like Barkley is. Would give us more presence upfront.

All hypothetical ofcourse.

His demise is alarming, he is ineffective in every position he is used in these days. He's gone from superstar to absolute niasse in a couple of seasons.

Rooney and Barkley are different players though, we need more options. Rooney would be more of a second striker rather than a slightly pushed up midfielder like Barkley is. Would give us more presence upfront.

All hypothetical ofcourse.
I wouldn't be against a loan move in January with an option to buy, provided we could get the right terms for us as regards fee and Rooney's salary.

He would provide back up to both Rom and Ross, at least in the shot term, until Koeman can get his own personnel on board.

Can't see it happening personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back